What are you cooking right now?
#51 16-09-2015 
Who cares if it doesn't look exactly like on the box, I think it looks delicious! And better yet, it looks like something I, too, could eat. Big Grin (Sadly, there are a lot of foods I can't eat these days - thank you, MS Dodgy - but this definitely looks like something I could, even if I might have to pass at the crust at its thickest.)

#52 10-02-2016 
Today, wild gathered, spring greens (Early dock, stinging nettles, wintercress) stewed with lean venison, wild onions, garlic (wild not up yet), chicken broth, and pepper.

Tomorrow, Cincinnati Chili. Smile

#53 10-02-2016 
What's Cincinnati Chili? If it's chilli it's got to be yum. Big Grin

#54 10-02-2016 
I can't explain it really. It's not like regular chili. It isn't spicy hot, but it IS very savory, and smells wonderful. If you want to try it, just make a small batch, although, I don't personally know anyone who doesn't like it. If you like savory Greek, or Armenian food, you'll probably like it a lot.

Don't get a recipe from the internet, they're all wrong.

Either get the mix from Gold Star Chili in Cincinnati Ohio.

http://goldstarchili.myshopify.com/

Or, if you really want to make it yourself, I'll send you the proper recipe for it.

It's kind of a meat sauce with spices. You serve it over spaghetti, topped with cheddar cheese, or any other cheese you may like. You can add raw onions, kidney beans and/or oyster (soup) crackers.

If you don't follow the recipe, it won't taste right.

#55 10-02-2016 
I'm in Australia, so getting food from Ohio is problematic. I wouldn't mind the proper recipe though. Smile

Love all foods - Greek, Armenian definitely on the list. Smile

#56 10-02-2016 
Ok..... Here you go.

CINCINNATI CHILI

4 qt cooking pot
1qt beef broth
2lbs ground beef (The leaner, the better, use at LEAST 90/10) In your case, a Kg of ground beef is fine for this recipe, but
if you make a triple recipe or so, you may have to remove a little. I think 1 Kg=2.25lbs. "overbeefing" is probably ok to a point.
¼ cup minced onion (dry), or 1 cup of fresh onion, finely chopped.
2 tbsp chili powder (a little more or less) You can use up to 1/4 cup, but I think it's best with 3Tbsp of chili powder.
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin (You can use up to 1 1/8 tsp).
¼ tsp ground/powdered allspice
¼ tsp ground cloves. For my tastes, I use 1/8 tsp. I'll add another 1/8 if I feel it needs it. Too much clove, will make it bitter.
1/16 tsp cayenne pepper. No more.
½ tsp salt
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp cider or white vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
15oz tomato sauce.
½ oz Dark, unsweetened bakers chocolate ONLY (must be 100% Cacao). Yes, chocolate. Doesn't taste right without it.

!!!And in your case, an American to metric conversion chart!!!

OPTIONAL

Spaghetti (2 way)
Shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese (3 way). Might work with mozzarella, if you don't want 'Merican, sharp, orange cheese.
Raw chopped onions (4 way)
Red kidney beans (5 way)
Oyster crackers (6 way)

Cooked hot dogs for coneys. put chili with onions and cheese on hot dog.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Put raw hamburger and beef broth in pot., add other “wet” ingredients.
If you used raw, fresh onions, now is the time to put those in too.
Use VERY CLEAN HANDS to mix hamburger, wet ingredients, and broth to a slush. You DON'T want "meat-lumps". This is also why you stir it so much.
Turn on heat to MEDIUM, bring to boil (stirring constantly, this will take quite a while).
Add rest of ingredients, turn heat to simmer and cover.
UNCOVER AFTER 1/2 HOUR. If it starts making a mess, cover only partially.
Stir slow and steady for five minutes, to make sure chocolate is melted.
Stir every 5min maximum.
When chili is cooked down to a thin paste (this will take a while), stir more frequently.
Chili is done when you can scrape through with a ladle and it doesn’t immediately collapse back on itself (Medium paste).
Let cool, refrigerate overnight, if you used less than 90/10 lean.. Remove any grease when cold.
Re-heat slowly, adding only enough water or broth to free it up to medium paste. Serve with oyster crackers.

To feed an army, triple the ingredients.

WARNING!.... Do NOT leave any of the ingredients out.

Don't add any further ingredients unless it's salt, or more onions to taste.

Any deviation, will make it bitter, or taste funny.

DON'T walk away from it longer than necessary while cooking! You may be sorry if you do. It needs attention to keep it from scorching, especially, when it gets cooked down.

Here is how it should look. I prefer just a little less cheese myself, and I like raw, chopped onions, and oyster crackers on mineSmile.

http://www.goldstarchili.com/menu/ways

Good luck! and enjoy.
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2016 01:11 PM by Kunder.)

#57 10-02-2016 
This is the ORIGINAL Gold Star/Skyline chili recipe from 1912/20 or so. It was given to my Grandmother who knew the brothers who invented it. For years, she wouldn't give it to me because they asked her not to give it out. Well, After granny passed away 30 yrs ago, I got her recipe box, and LO and BEHOLD! It was in there.

There are references to "srirachi, 6 pepper, and veggie" chili.
Stick with the recipe I gave you. These are "new" additions, and I've tried them. they don't taste right.

You know you've got it when your neighbor taps on your window with a bowl saying "I don't know WHAT you're cooking, but I've GOT to have some!" This has happened to me a couple of times. Big Grin

It DOES smell wonderful, and tastes just like it smells!

I just got done looking through 30 or so recipes on-line for it, and they're STILL all wrong. One is close, I've made it like that and it was "ok", but it isn't "authentically" flavored. The original recipe is WAAAAY better.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 03:45 AM by Kunder.)

#58 22-02-2016 
I ALMOST FORGOT!!!!!!!!

When Cincinnati Chili has simmered COVERED for 1/2 hour...... UNCOVER IT so the water evaporates out faster.

If it starts making a mess from "splashing", uncover only partially, so steam can escape.

#59 22-02-2016 
Oh!!!! I've recently discovered that I love Skyline chili, lol. So will most definitely be trying this recipe!!!

#60 24-02-2016 
(22-02-2016 11:29 PM)justJones Wrote:  Oh!!!! I've recently discovered that I love Skyline chili, lol. So will most definitely be trying this recipe!!!
This is a little closer to the Gold Star original. Doesn't matter, it's all good!Smile.

I think the only difference is that Gold Star uses worcestershire, AND vinegar, Skyline uses vinegar only.

Skyline is a tad more cinnamony. Like I said, either way.

Sorry, that is a members only option