I call my bathroom Jim...
#1 02-04-2014 
...instead of John.
It just sounds so much better to say, "Yeah, *sniff* first thing I did this morning was go to the Jim."

Big Grin
Have a good day!
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#2 02-04-2014 
* leefish boggles in amazement.

I call my cooker Oswald, cos he is actually older than me and is a grumpy sod.

#3 02-04-2014 
Hahaha! You're awesome! rofl

#4 02-04-2014 
For a while I used to call my home France, so that when people asked me where I was going for holidays - I could say I'm going to France.

Nowadays, I just have Ross the Mug. (It's a mug, with the name Ross on it).

#5 02-04-2014 
Aw, France, a lovely tiny country. ^_^

The first name Ross always reminds me of the TV series Friends, which still is a great reference concerning humor. Loved it, and still love it actually.

#6 03-04-2014 
Huh... not the reaction I was thinking I'd get with this one.... Ya'll do know we Americans say Gym as short for gymnasium, a place to exercise, right? Gym = Jim....

I know... if you have to 'splain it it's not very good, but I literally snorted my coffee this morning when I heard it.
My Etsy shop

#7 03-04-2014 
Well, I think it is more that we don't call toilets/lavatories "the John" in Europe.

#8 03-04-2014 
I name my vehicles. The last one was Betsy, the current one is George. I've been thinking of changing that to Jeeves so I can say "Home, Jeeves"... I may have gotten that habit from my dad- one of his trucks was called The Blue Goose. Smile

#9 03-04-2014 
This is one of those times where my Swedish interferes with my English. Smile (Just for the record, I do know colloquial English and I do know what "the gym" is.)

You see, in Swedish, "I" and "Y" are two different sounds entirely (which confuses the socks of English speakers, who usually can't tell the difference - which also confuses Swedes, since to us it is a pretty big difference between telling someone you want to "byta" (exchange) something or that you want to "bita" (bite) it. Tongue) So when I read "Jim" and "Gym", in my head they don't sound the same at all. It's one of those things that I have to read out loud to get - and even then it might be a while before it dawns on me, since I don't think of them as homonyms, just pronounce them that way (if that makes sense).

#10 03-04-2014 
(03-04-2014 11:55 AM)NixNivis Wrote:  You see, in Swedish, "I" and "Y" are two different sounds entirely...

aHA! I thought it might be something like that Smile

(03-04-2014 07:52 AM)leefish Wrote:  Well, I think it is more that we don't call toilets/lavatories "the John" in Europe.

...and that Smile

Psst - We name our cars too... our current cars: Phineas Taylor [Barnum] is our PTCruiser, and Eddie II is our ancient/1990 Marquis - yes, I know Edward II was a King, not a Marquis; but he was also gay - which suits this car perfectly! Rolleyes
My Etsy shop

Sorry, that is a members only option