Who knows What about the RazerGameBooster?
#1 10-04-2014 
Who knows what about the RazerGameBooster? If anything?

With the new CC I'm trying to add into my game, I started getting random crashes again (Access Violations)
It's not a faulty CC - because it all loaded fine the first time, and I scanned through everything in the catalog clicking each new item without a problem.
I exited and restarted (with NO changes) and now it crashes. WTF!

Through browsing the web I learned about the RazerGameBooster...
I DL'd/installed it. Ran my game. All looks fine and acts fine.
But, before I re-add that new CC I'm trying - I want to be sure I've set up the Razer stuff properly:
It didn't automagically "detect" my Sims 2 .exe. I had to hold it's hand and take it there - I hooked it up to the M&G.exe - is that right?
And, it says it can't sync my saved-game files - what path do I take to hook those up?

Thank you - any help is appreciated Blush
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#2 10-04-2014 
That actually looks like the kind of thing @rawmilk905 would know about,

#3 10-04-2014 
Thank you, Lee. I haven't "met" @rawmilk905 yet; but I can't wait to pick his brains... Wink
My Etsy shop

#4 12-04-2014 
That Razer Game Booster is different, or at least the "Razer" name is different from the one I've used. The one I occasionally use is somwhat defunct development-wise, yet still functional, but it is just called Game Booster and its primary function is just shutting off unneeded system services while gaming. I'll have to look at this Razer thing and see what it does. As far as saved games goes, it sounds like it is looking for a save that you would sync to not lose your progress if you wanted to play a game on two different machines. TS2 doesn't really have "saves" like this, it has enormous Neighborhood directories that while they could be backed up would not be viable for syncing due to their sheer size. I would say back up all things TS2 (or at least the userdata and any tested CC) and then play with your scary CC. That way if something is really destroyed you can restore, though usually I'd think just adding things one at a time and removing whatever causes a problem should work.
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 11:44 PM by rawmilk905.)

#5 12-04-2014 
Hi @rawmilk905 wave
Yeah, I figured the "save" thing really wasn't a problem, per se...
It just made me scratch my head a bit and wonder if I had everything set up right. I back up my files pretty regularly, and I've just started over with a squeaky clean game.

If you do check out Razer's Game Booster, please let me know what you find out. I'm not sure it's really doing anything Blush
Like I said, I have it hooked up to the M&G.exe in program files; but, should I also add the path to the basegame.exe as that's where the CEP stuff is? I have all EPs and all but H&M SPs. What about them?
I'm on a Vista 64-bit too, if that makes any difference?
Thanks,
Cat
My Etsy shop

#6 14-04-2014 
I would not worry about the base game exe or any game files or folders besides the M&G exe, as the M&G one is the only one used in running an M&G game and I doubt the booster even knows enough about the other TS2 files to boost them in any way. I still have yet to try this utility, but I will read up on it and look at it fairly soon. I strongly suspect it has similar function to the other "Game Booster" I mentioned. It is probably just freeing up resources by shutting down unneccessary (for gaming) system services.

*Just reading the site I can tell you somewhat what Razer GB is doing. It actually looks to be the next generation of the IObit Game Booster that I was using, of which I thought subsequent versions were not going to be free. It appears it is still free though and now has the "Razer" name and bundles more functionality with the basic system services shutdown of the older version. The syncing component would have no utility for TS2, as each house you play is a "save" that depends on all other houses and characters in the neighborhood, which are all dependent "saves" themselves. It's not the simple case of "I beat this level boss on my desktop and don't want to have to play the entire thing over again on my laptop" situation that the syncing of saves is built for. I have mixed feelings about the bundled disk defragmenter. On the one hand, prioritizing game files seems like a good idea. On the other hand, I don't know if this does as good a job overall as Defraggler, the disk defragmenter I currently use, or even the built-in Windows disk defragmenter and using both would be counterproductive, as each time I used one it would likely be organizing data differently, undoing the work of the other. I would imagine you are not forced in any way to use this however.

The booster should help games run a bit better, particularly on systems where resources are being maxed out, but it probably won't make a game run that isn't running at all, unless a system service directly interferes with a game, nor should it make anything worse, unless a specific service needed by the game is turned off. In the version I used though, which services were on/off were all customizable. I'd imagine they still are.
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 12:36 AM by rawmilk905.)

#7 15-04-2014 
Thanks!
My Etsy shop

Sorry, that is a members only option