Very disappointed
#11 04-06-2014 
It really depends on if you want to use an AGS (any game starter). If you do, then the combo packs are a bad idea as they are not compatible. If you don't want an AGS then they are a great deal.

#12 04-06-2014 
AGS is not an issue for me, so that helps immensely with the budget. Smile You don't have to install all three of the discs in a combo pack at once, right? I'd probably want to hold off on installing M&G until after a rebuild, since I have some cc that's probably incompatible with it.

#13 04-06-2014 
yea you do have to install them all - the disc is all in one, as far as I know. Are you interested in the two I mentioned? Base (on DVD omgosh yay) and NL? I would need your address to send them to you. I promise not to fly to America and stalk you if I have your address.

#14 04-06-2014 
Thanks for the pm - I've got it. It's given me all sorts of things to think about. I have a friend who's a programmer and a mac owner (I'm not a mac owner) - and I will talk with them about what the error message means (hoping that it means about the same in mac as what I think it does). I'm seeing them tomorrow.

In Windows,

We have 2 exe files in the folder - x:\EA\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSBin\

Sims2Launcher.exe
Sims2EP9.exe

The first one is the one that is linked in the shortcut that we double-click to play. The problem is, that it relies on the Sims2 website being available - which it isn't because it doesn't exist anymore.

So we changed the shortcut to point to the second one -
"D:\EA\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe" -w

(the -w on the end makes this one windowed).

#15 04-06-2014 
@leefish Hmmm, an all-or-nothing deal on the combo packs... I will consider.

What would be a fair price for the two discs you have? I got the computer for less than I had budgeted, and I won't starve if I provide fair recompense for a huge help. I promise I won't fly to the Netherlands and stalk you either. We can have a mutual non-stalking agreement. Smile

@celebkiriedhel I haven't seen anything like that on my Mac -- I will have to have a look after work. Thank you so much for your help!

#16 04-06-2014 
I actually have 3 disks - I also got a copy of Family Fun Stuff at the Kings Day market for 50 cents - let me see how much it costs to post them - that would be the maximum recompense I would be looking for. I bought them at these crazy low prices in case there was ever a leefisher in need of replacements. That would be you I think.

#17 04-06-2014 
Hmmm.. Lee & esme - I think you CAN skip installation of 1 EP/SP (or more) in the case of the combo packs. *thinks* Yeah, I'm sure I read something about that at one point in the past. I'll see if I can find what I read.

#18 04-06-2014 
(04-06-2014 12:09 PM)esmeiolanthe Wrote:  I find the options for purchasing Windows 7 kind of bewildering, and it's probably going to be the most expensive part of switching. Could you tell me what kind of Mac you have, which Mac OS you have, and which version of Windows 7 you're running? (Currently I am looking at this one.)

Lion 10.7.5
21.5-inch Intel iMac, 3.2 GHz bought late 2010, but the HD was recalled and replaced about a year ago

I'm rarely on my mac side anymore *sad trombone* If I get a request for a lot I've shared to not require all eps or sps, I'll go re-build it on the mac side but that's about it. I have the Best Of Collections too and the AGS incompatibility is a problem for me since I like to build and share lots. But I'm glad it isn't for you :3

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium too, your link has a much better/lower price than what I paid! I was nervous about setting up Bootcamp and Windows (been using Macs since forever) but it was so easy.

And I'm pretty sure mlc is right, you can uncheck sps from the Best of Collections while installing, I always uncheck the poopy Store edition.

Kiri's launcher questions aren't an issue for ts2 on a mac Blush

#19 04-06-2014 
That's cool to know Shasta. I will file that in my Mac trivia Big Grin

#20 04-06-2014 
Shastapirate!! I can't find the thread I read but if you agree with me, then I'll say it can be done. Even though I can't find the thread, I do remember a post saying something about unchecking what you don't want to install.

Where did I read this thread at? MTS, Maty or PMBD. One of the three. There's just so much noise around here that I can't concentrate.. kids listening to music, the roofers pounding on the roofs, kids running around outside being loud and noisy (windows are open today cuz it's so NOT HOT today!). ROAR!!!

Sorry, that is a members only option