Very disappointed
#21 04-06-2014 
Esme, would this be of any help? http://www.ehow.com/how_2003545_sims2-ma...stall.html Just something I came across Googling Sims 2 and Mac.

#22 05-06-2014 
@joandsarah Thank you for the link! Unfortunately, it seems to be written for Windows machines, since when I right-click on the install disk, no "Explore" option comes up. Some of the commands also look Windows-ish.

Looking at the combo packs and such, I see that they say that they're for Windows XP or Vista (usually). Will they still work in Windows 7?

Strategy-wise, I'm looking at various combo packs on Amazon. It looks like I can get

Double Deluxe (BG, NL, and Celebration Stuff) for $20, or Celebration Stuff alone for $17 new.
University Life (Uni, TSS, and IKEA Stuff) for $13 new.
Best of Business (OFB, H&M, and K&B) for $14 new.
Fun With Pets (Pets, FFS, and M&G) for $15 new.

I would have to buy these things alone: Seasons ($37 new), BV (~$35 new), FT (~$35 new), AL ($46-$110 new, less used), and GL ($38-$40 new, $5 for used with no description whatever).

Am I forgetting anything other than Happy Holiday Stuff? (I had HHS once, but didn't like it, uninstalled it, and see no need to pay for it again.) Are any of these really bad deals? Are any of these such good deals that I should buy them NOWNOWNOW?

What do I look for if I decide to buy used? I know the advice is to always get the manual, but I'm not sure why, so... why? Can I play the game without registering? How does registering work now that the Exchange is gone? It's OK to play without being connected to the internet, right? (All dumb questions, but I might as well ask...)

Probably-not-relevant information:

Everybody is being so helpful and supportive! I wish I could bake you all cookies, or do something else nice. I'll take requests...

#23 05-06-2014 
Well bother, I thought it was for Mac's. Bit like looking up sims 2 cc and been shown a heap of sims 3 stuff. *growl*

I sent you a pm about the lot. Which you will play as you will get Sims 2 running!

#24 05-06-2014 
I still have my old machine, never fear. But we WILL make this shiny new machine work!

#25 05-06-2014 
Esme - with the packs that say for XP or Vista - yes they will work on Windows7. All you need to do is change the compatibility setting in the properties - which I will show you how to do when you get up to that bit. Smile

#26 05-06-2014 
I think I have Apartment Life on my Origin account if you want it. I dunno if it will be helpful. I also have the .iso files to K&B/H&M.

Combo Packs. You don't want to do them, no matter the cost saving.

I have had all three, they were good as deals but garbage otherwise (IMO). IIRC They come with the crappy Store edition and I don't remember if there was a way to not let it install. To be honest they gave me more issues than anything. I had to reinstall multiple times because IKEA happened to continue to corrupt itself and you can't just uninstall one, you have to uninstall all three and with that my game just completely borked to where I had to completely reinstall everytime IKEA or any of the Collection pack games went kaput . You also unfortunately cant use the Any Game Starter (Numenor's at most, I dunno if there's other ones out for TS2 that support the collection packs), which for me as a builder more or less is a negative.

Quick Edit: Deluxe, double deluxe are ok. It's just the Fun with Pets, Best of Business and University Life collections that I had problem with

#27 06-06-2014 
I've got Family Fun Stuff on my Origin, I think. Or is it Freetime? *boggles* Erm, it's something that begins with F. Big help, huh. Whatever it is, I never installed it for some reason. Although I do have both installed. Ahem. Well. Guess I'm saying whatever is on my Origin can be used by someone who needs it.

* mustluvcatz goes through the process of retrieving forgotten password

#28 06-06-2014 
* leefish mumbles something about isos and piracy and not condoning what might be found on Mediafire....

#29 06-06-2014 
@levini That's a problem I didn't even think of with the combo packs! Thank you for sharing that experience!

With that in mind, I had a look at the cost of the individual disks rather than the combo packs, and they're not as bad as I thought they would be. Also, I have a little extra in the budget now, because one of the guys at my aikido dojo is an IT guy and he has a unused 64 bit Windows 7 Pro install disk that he's willing to give me. I asked him what was a fair price, and he said "Whatever. Nah, I'll just give it to you." So I think I am honor bound to give him cookies or fresh-baked bread or something (and a little cash), but that should still come out to less than $132, which is what it would cost to buy the disk new. Or even $100, which is the cost of the home edition.

@celebkirihedel What about disks for a system lower than XP or Vista? (I think a couple of the very early discs have that.) Does changing the properties work for that too?

What is an iso? If you download a game (from Origin or wherever), can you burn it to disk to use if you need to reinstall?

I am feeling so much more optimistic now, and I think I can make things work with all the good help and encouragement you're all providing. You guys ROCK, every single one of you! Big Grin

#30 06-06-2014 
An iso is a disc-copy that you can mount on a virtual drive and you can use that instead of running the now extremely precious and hard to replace discs in the DVD drive. I use PowerIso. You can also dl a crack for some of the later games as securrom does not believe that I am merely trying to protect my disc which I own.

Sorry, that is a members only option