Turning to the Dark Side
#31 12-06-2014 
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what it avoids because I never have any issues with UAC and have been installing this way since XP (before UAC was problematic). So, all of it? Tongue My TS2 game runs just fine on my Windows 8.1 machine, though I do use a no-CD crack for M&G, some *ahem* mildly modified regkeys (bypassing installing the full versions of my Collections for the single ep/sp I bought the thing for) and I skip the Sims 2 Launcher as well.

It's worth noting however that I don't need to run the game's exe as an Admin, not even to run my AnyGames. (Though they still ask permission to change the registry, usually twice when booting the game and twice when I close it.)

#32 12-06-2014 
Very interesting. I'll have to remember all than when I eventually upgrade to Windows 8. Thanks for the tips, Tamha!

#33 12-06-2014 
Just saw this in my feed on Facebook Tongue

[Image: 10309382_772816086102687_8737783977613581133_n.jpg]

#34 13-06-2014 
@justJones Perfect! Big Grin

So the copy of Windows 7 I was offered miiiight have fallen off the back of a truck, and I couldn't convince the computer to read it. I've ordered a for realz legit copy and paid for one-day shipping, which means arrival on Monday. Sad On the bright side, everything else came already, and it all looks in good shape except maybe one of the SPs I ordered from Amazon, which has some scratches that were not advertised. We'll see if it works once I get Windows running.

#35 13-06-2014 
Hopefully the legit discs won't give you any issues. Can't say I'm familiar with running Windows on non-PC computers. Good luck getting the SP disc up and running, too!

#36 14-06-2014 
The legit disc better not give me any problems, or leefish will probably hear me screaming all the way across the Atlantic Ocean! Tongue (I am cautiously optimistic at this point, since Win 7 is supposed to play nice with Mountain Lion, according to Apple. So if it doesn't, that's where the ol' warranty kicks in...)

#37 14-06-2014 
Take deep breaths and look at your lot again esme, that will calm you down. I was thinking it but didn't want to say, I hope this second one gives no trouble. maybe taking it to a tech person might be the way to go?

#38 14-06-2014 
I think the problem was that it was a copy of an install disc rather than a real install disc. But if that wasn't the problem, then to a repairperson it goes, toot sweet!

I must say, I'm glad I started this process while my current computer still works just fine. Imagine going through this and not being able to play!

*esmeiolanthe yelps and hides, quaking in fear

...How do I do that cool red "describing action" text?[/code]

#39 14-06-2014 
use the /me thingy

* levini uses /me to /me while he /me's

#40 17-06-2014 
@levini Thanks! [/me]Mi mi mi mi....! Sad What am I doing wrong?

Well, two day shipping at extra money didn't work -- my package wasn't shipped out til late Saturday, and will probably show up sometime between tomorrow and Thursday, which is what I could have gotten for free. (I asked for and received a refund of the extra shipping cost.) I am going to be optimistic and assume that the disc will work beautifully. Which leads me to a question about Windows generally.

An antivirus is a really good idea, of course, and I want one. But silly esmeiolanthe can't find her previous thread where we talked about which free antiviruses were effective and also didn't eat babies in the game. Could the wonderful people who made recommendations make them again, please?

Also, being mildly paranoid about the horrible things that can happen to Windows computers, I'm thinking of getting a free firewall, one that blocks programs from coming in and also that block programs on your computer from sending random data out. (After reading this article, I'm thinking of TinyWall or Comodo.) Would that mess up the functioning of the game at all?

And naturally I'll get Malwarebytes, AdBlock, and Don't Track Me.

Sorry, that is a members only option