Turning to the Dark Side
#41 17-06-2014 
no brackets just "/me"

Personally I use avast because I have trusted it but I am starting to get annoyed by it in general.

* levini leaps onto The counter and knocks over stuff at random

#42 17-06-2014 
What's annoying about Avast? Inquiring minds want to know.

* esmeiolanthe tries to look serious and smart whilst dodging flying counter stuff

#43 17-06-2014 
Eh, it always pops up with something about Grime or whatever it is. Also the noisy notifications scare the living rubbish out of me with how loud it is. Imagine falling asleep listening to music when all of a sudden "AVAST VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED" just yells out (I am dummy and can't figure out how to kill it).

* levini curls up on the counter and falls asleep.

#44 17-06-2014 
Yeah, you can turn off the voice notifications (they scared the crap out of me too while playing music lol) and you can also turn off the annoying popups. I use avast with those things turned off and I believe it works well.

(I can't remember how to turn them off now, levini, but try googling and I'm sure you'll find the answer.)

#45 17-06-2014 
I use avast with no problems.

#46 17-06-2014 
I use ZoneAlarm. Used it for years.

#47 17-06-2014 
I use Comodo and am utterly annoyed with it. Probably need to fiddle with settings or something though, it does block a lot of things so that's good Tongue At least it's better than Norton Wink

#48 17-06-2014 
I have no problems with AVG.

#49 17-06-2014 
@fanseelamb Thank you! no more being scared out of my mind when I am trying to sleep. Big Grin

#50 17-06-2014 
Actually.... I use Avast, Comodo, and Malwarebytes all together. Avast as an antivirus, Comodo as a firewall, and Malwarebytes as an anti-malware program.

Why all the doubling up?

Well, because they work in tandem. See years ago my computer got a bad virus/malware thingie. The only way to get rid of it was to scan with malwarebytes and an anti-virus at the same time, so one program would disable it, enabling the other program to remove it. So now I run 3 separate programs which each specialize in different things and may catch something the other lets through.

As Fox Mulder would say - it's not paranoid when they're really out to get you!

Sorry, that is a members only option