Turning to the Dark Side
#51 17-06-2014 
I used to use Ad-Aware with Avast for the same reason, until Ad-Aware stupidly started doing their own antivirus and it stopped working with real antivirus programs. >.> I haven't felt the need to double up on Avast in some time, but I also have much milder browsing habits then I used to as well.

#52 18-06-2014 
@fanseelamb That is exactly why I am going to have antivirus, malware, and firewall all at once too. The black hat hackers loooooove Windows machines, and downloading things increases your risk. Although I only download from reputable, stable, safe sites like Leefish or MTS (and they ARE safe, and the community is not malicious at all!), it only takes one accidental click in the wrong place on, say, Mediafire to mess things up, and the more clicks you make, the greater your chances of one of them being wrong by mistake.

Small frustration in a process littered with them... My package with Windows 7 and FFS did arrive today, but since neither I nor any of my neighbors was home and it didn't fit through the mail slot, it was taken back to the post office for me to pick up. Post office closes at 5:30. I get off work at 5 and work half an hour away, plus I'm booked directly after work both tomorrow and Thursday. So the earliest I could pick it up is Friday, but it might not be til Saturday. This is such a slow burn...!

#53 18-06-2014 
aww, Esme. I really hope that it all gets working for you, and that soon you will be shifting shelves and painting and curtains and setting things off grid with the quartertile Big Grin

#54 18-06-2014 
Soon...

I have a plan all sketched out of what to install when, that's how much I'm looking forward to this working! Tongue

#55 18-06-2014 
You will love that quarter tile cheat, it makes decorating so much easier, even better than snap off grid. Lol, I tried at least 3 times while I was building your lot before it dropped that Seasons doesn't have that cheat!

#56 21-06-2014 
The post office where my Windows 7 disc is waiting for me opens at 9:30. It is currently 7:54, and about a 15 minute walk to the post office. I hate waiting.

As long as I am waiting, though, any tips on installing Sims 2 on a Windows 7 64-bit system using the 4-CD version of base game?

#57 21-06-2014 
Eee exciting Esme. When you put the disk in it will show a folder, not a run icon any longer, you need to open the folder and select the most likely one, lol, well that is how it seems to me. I usually look for something saying run. Used to be you put the disk in and it would just do its thing.

#58 21-06-2014 
If you right-click on the drive you can trigger auto-run from the right click menu that way.

#59 21-06-2014 
Hello from the Dark Side! Windows 7 is installed and running, with MalwareBytes, Avast, AdBlock, DoNotTrack, and Firefox all up and running. TinyWall (the firewall program I picked) was No Good, since it blocks Firefox. Any recommendations for a different free firewall?

I have downloaded all the patches on MTS, as well as Homecrafter Plus. It looks like there is no patch for M&G -- is that correct?

OpenOffice, Libre Office, and Gadwin are downloaded, and GIMP is downloading. What else do I need?

@joandsarah, @celebkiriedhel, I'm a little confused. All I have to do to install the 4-disc version of BG is to put it in the drive, right-click and say "auto-run"? There's nothing special I need to do? No restarts or anything?

And installing is like on a Mac? Install, patch, boot game, quit, install, patch, boot game, quit, and continue ad nauseum or until you finish, whichever comes first?

EDIT: And how the hell do you open .rar files on a Windows 7 machine? The advice I find online is "Use 7-zip," which unfortunately does precisely zero.
EDIT 2: Nevermind, PeaZip works fine.

I hate Windows... >:-{
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2014 07:57 PM by esmeiolanthe.)

#60 21-06-2014 
Esme, I use WinRar (x64) from here for EVERYTHING (zip, 7z, rar), right-clicking "Extract Files..." and I use it to create archives too.

You asked what else do you need? I didn't see the CEP listed but I doubt you'd forget it for very long Smile

I hated Windows too BUT WAIT UNTIL YOU OPEN SIMS ON IT!! It's worth it Celebrate

Sorry, that is a members only option