Vista "blocking" my files...
#1 22-06-2014 
I just noticed something 'funny' today. I was changing all my ProgramFile/objects.packages to Read Only - something I meant to do long, long ago. Rolleyes
And I guess I just got 'property'-clicking happy... but, somehow I right-clicked on Pescado's NoUnlinkOnDelete file, and noticed it said it was blocked ("came from another computer" or some other such nonsense.) I did some on-line research, and apparently this is a known problem with Vista (and W7+) The purported 'fix' I found involves writing .bat files and some other stuff that I am not comfortable doing. So, I thought, before I go messing up my PC real bad, I'd come ask you guys. Has anyone ever encountered this before? Are these files really blocked - as in, not being read by the game? 'Cuz, some of the 'blocked' files I found are excruciatingly necessary bug-fix type files that I desperately need my game to read!

I anyone has any advice - please share Tongue
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#2 22-06-2014 
hey Catherine,you should have unblock button right next to read only checkbox,do you have it?

#3 22-06-2014 
Yes. And I successfully did that for a few files.
But... I have over 33,000 files in my DLs right now (and a zillion others that are waiting) I don't want to have to right-click on each file to see if it's blocked or not, then click the unblock button. *yikes*

If they truly are blocked (and not read by the game) then I need to find a solution that:
A) easily locates the blocked files and
B) unblock them all
then C) I need to know how to prevent Vista doing this to every new thing I DL. *Geesh - Microsloth FAIL again!*

Thanks for thinkin' with me! Big Grin
My Etsy shop

#4 22-06-2014 
have you tried to take ownership of the files
there: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...53659.aspx ,perhaps it helps to speed up things
and this too: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-...-file.html

#5 22-06-2014 
Thanks, Laura - but that's not it. It's more like this: http://superuser.com/questions/38476/thi...files-in-a
But, I'm not finding a solution that makes enough sense for me to carry out. Blush

Is anyone else on a Vista 64bit? If so, would you please check Pes' nounlinkondelete.package file and see if it in 'blocked' too? This is very strange, I have to figure it out...
My Etsy shop

#6 22-06-2014 
Look,what i found: http://thehunk.blogspot.com/2012/04/stop...every.html ,this doesn't seem too difficult

#7 22-06-2014 
LOL - I have that page open too. Wink

I don't have gpedit.msc available on either of my machines (yes, I found blocked files on my netbook/W8.1 as well *sigh*) They're both 'home' version OSes.
I'm wary of messing with "streams" as I'm not sure what they are - and he gives plenty of warnings that apply to me... I think?

Do you think I should try it? Huh
@leefish, @celebkiriedhel, and @BoilingOil - Can/should I attempt to do this?
I'm such a big baby :cry:
My Etsy shop

#8 22-06-2014 
* leefish has no idea and would also be wringing hands in terror

#9 22-06-2014 
Oh, but @leefish, you're one of my computer gurus! Please don't damage your fins!!!

The other strange thing about this anomaly... The files that are blocked (that I've found so far) are the important "no spawn" type files, and Arek's choose-your-cemetery, etc... Huh

ETA: *Big breath* OK. I tried it... The instructions are in blue high-light on the black page. The black cmd box says it couldn't find anything... yet, there's my nounlinkondelete file's property box saying the files is 'blocked'

What do I do now?
My Etsy shop
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2014 10:27 PM by CatherineTCJD.)

#10 23-06-2014 
To me it looks safe, as long as you go *VERY, VERY, VERY* carefully, and follow the instructions religiously.
But to be honest, I'm horrified that there's still a presumably somewhat sane person using Vista! Even when that OS was new and "da bomb", many of even the most avid windows lovers abhored it, and thought it was vile, evil, miserable and stupid. Much better, saner alternatives exist. Smile

Sorry, that is a members only option