• If on a Winter's Night a Traveller
  • Reviewer: Klaartje
  • Italo Calvino
  • Genre: Fiction GeneralFiction
  • Rating: 9/10
  • Review Type: Book Review
Short blurb from Amazon: You go into a bookshop and buy If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino. You like it. But alas there is a printer's error in your copy. You take it back to the shop and get a replacement. But the replacement seems to be a totally different story. You try to track down the original book you were reading but end up with a different narrative again. This remarkable novel leads you on a remarkable quest. But the real hero is you, the reader. [Edited because I didn't want to spoil everything Tongue]

Review: I've always wanted to read something by Calvino. Not sure why, but it's one of those names that keeps buzzing around in your head because you've heard or read interesting facts about their work. So when I found it in the local secondhand shop, I snatched it away immediately, read it over the holidays - months ago - and was utterly confused by it for the first couple of pages. What I loved about it most - and didn't think I would - is the fact that it's a second-person narrative. There aren't many of them out there, and especially none as properly done as this one. Calvino pulls a lot of tricks out of his literary toolbox but he manages to do it in such a way that it doesn't come across as pedantic. He's trying to make a point and does so by using his fiction. Which I think is awesome when you can achieve that. That's all I wanted to say before I start spoiling everything, go grab it and read!

#2 10-07-2014
Never knew you could do these. I think the review is good!

Sorry, that is a members only option