Hiatus
#41 27-09-2014 
Just wanted to check in and say that I'm alive and stuff. Smile Things are still going well, the staff is awesome and I've also met some fellow patients I really like (and will try to stay in contact with after we're done). The weather hasn't been kind to me lately, though; I'm v. sensitive to sudden shifts in the weather, and shifting suddenly is pretty much what the weather is all about in early autumn in this country. So I've been even more exhausted, but there's not much to do about that. Well, other than wait for November, when it will be raining for 30 days straight instead. Tongue

@poisson, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your uncle is doing as well as he can regardless. Which type of MS does he have, do you know?

#42 27-09-2014 
{{{:hugs:}}} - ...I have more bubble-wrap if you need it - it's (as yet) unpopped. Wink

I don't suffer the pain and physical un-comfort you live with, but I do have seasonal allergies - and fall is the worst because of the molds. Flooding rain one day and 92F blazing sun the next - tends to ferment the ground around here. Ugh! Ahhh-choooo-be-do-be-dooobies!!! Then comes the sinus infection.... and usually pneumonia by Christmas. But, that's NOT gonna happen this year! (I hope!) The Dr. just started me on some really powerful allergy meds Wink
....so yeah, weather. Ugh!

YAY! for new friends and healthy progress though! Woot Woot!!! Heart

#43 27-09-2014 
Cat, I get hay fever symptoms all year round so take anti-histamine most days to stop the constant sneezing.

#44 28-09-2014 
Hi Nix! Glad to hear everything is going well. (hugs) *pokes a stick at the weather*

Ah yes the shifting weather, that always causes my aches and pains to flair up. Although I don't think 30 days straight of rain would make my neck happy either. :/ I take anti-histamine most of the year to try and prevent sinus headaches. Cat a sinus rinse is the best thing to do before the infection comes, I swear by my netti pot and my naturopath herbals.

#45 29-09-2014 
Yeah, Jo... (Yuck!) I hear that all the time - from hubster, Drs, Mom, etc...
...not gonna happen. (the sinus rinse deal.) LOL!

@Nix - Are you currently shifting into Summer or Winter? I don't know where you are, obviously - is it easier/better shifting to the warmth, or to the cold?

{{{hugs}}}

#46 29-09-2014 
Tsk tsk lol!

#47 29-09-2014 
(27-09-2014 03:42 PM)NixNivis Wrote:  @poisson, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your uncle is doing as well as he can regardless. Which type of MS does he have, do you know?

Hi Nix', Smile I'm not really sure of the type of MS he has, but he walks with a stick and he once told me that it's an irreversible case. He's close to his sixties and he's not doing so bad actually. My grandparents have not been informed about this for all these years. He fears that they could be too upset. When they see him walking with his stick, he simply says that he has a chronic sciatica so that they don't worry too much. He lives with his wife, 400 miles from the rest of our family. We all live in Lorraine except them. He has got two daughters, one of whom has just passed her medical thesis and received her M.D. in June.

EDIT: What type of MS do you have, as for you, if it's not indiscreet? I don't know this disease very well actually. I didn't even know it was divided into several types. All what I'm sure, is that it's really disabling. :/
Be sure that I do hope the best for you. Smile
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 10:47 PM by poisson.)

#48 05-11-2014 
Hello again. wave As you can see, I'm still alive even though I've been quiet; these last few weeks have been quite intense (and the weather hasn't been helping), so I haven't had much energy to spare. But now the end is in sight: Friday is my last day in rehab. After twelve weeks, it feels odd, and a little sad as well. I've loved it there, and it has been very, very good for me. Now it feels like my body and I are if not on the same page, then at least on the same spread, and we weren't before. Smile And to keep us there, I'm going to keep going to physiotherapy. I haven't been doing that before (even though I've probably needed it).

Even if the rehab is finished, I'm going to remain on semi-hiatus until the end of the month. I've got lots of other medical stuff going on in November (dr's appointments, treatments...), and I want to deal with them first, before I return to simming full time.

@CatherineTCJD, I'm in Sweden, so Winter Is Coming. Wink And for me, shifting to the warmth is much better than to the cold. I don't do cold well at all. A couple of degrees or so below zero (Celsius), I can usually manage, but anything colder than that and my body gets Very Unhappy.

@poisson, not indiscreet at all. Smile There are four types of MS, actually. The most common one is the one that everybody's heard about, where you have flares every now and then, but then are doing mostly all right in between (somewhat depending on the severity of the flare and what kind of symptoms it left behind). This is called relapsing-remitting MS, or RRMS.

Me, I have a type called secondary progressive MS (SPMS), which is what RRMS eventually turns into. Then, you no longer get flares, but you slowly keep getting worse even so. Also, for this type there are no medications, or at least none that targets it directly. Today, all MS meds on the market are made to reduce the number of flares you get, so if you don't get any flares, there's nothing for them to work with. So, if you have SPMS, the docs usually try other meds instead, that aren't specifically tailored for MS but works for diseases that have similar properties. Me, I'm on something that's actually a mild cancer drug (not chemo, though, it's a kind of antibodies), that wipes out a specific kind of white blood cells that are involved in MS as well.

It usually takes quite some time for RRMS to turn into SPMS, though; most of the time, people have RRMS for twenty or even thirty years before it changes. Mine's been unusually aggressive - for me, it only took five (or less; I'm pretty sure it changed sometimes in 2012). So I'm special. Rolleyes

#49 05-11-2014 
Nix - you ARE special, but that has nothing to do with you having MS. Nothing at all. <3

#50 06-11-2014 
Awww, you sweet MLC, you. Blush Heart

Sorry, that is a members only option