• Paul Gallico
  • Genre: Fiction
  • Rating: 10/10
  • Review Type: Book Review
This story was written by Paul Gallico and tells of the story of a wounded bird, a wounded man, and a marsh-wild girl in the run up to to Dunkirk in World War 2. It is, I think one of the best short stories ever.

It is not full of saccharine sweetness, but it is a very gentle story. It is not full of romance although it is definitely a story about love. It is not a violent story, although it does have scenes in the evacuation at Dunkirk.

The best way to experience this story is to hear it read out loud and currently it is available to listen to at BBC4 Radio Extra for the next 4 weeks (November 2014)
Go to BBC4Extra

I'd say to read it rather than watch it - except that whenever I read it I have to stop in the middle and have a weep. So why should you read or listen to this story - especially if it makes you weep? (Because you may be as soft a touch as I am). Because it is gentle and beautiful and may make you look at many things differently. Because it is a classic, and sometimes weeping is a good thing. Smile

leave a comment on the review - Have you read this book? Do you agree with the review? Was this review helpful?

Sorry, that is a members only option