• Emily St. John Mandel
  • Genre: Fiction
  • Rating: 10/10
  • Review Type: Book Review
Just finished reading this book. It was great. But I read too fast and am now sad that it's over....... so guess I'll just have to try and entice you all to read it too.

Edit: Scrap that goodreads synopsis. It was good but this review from bookriot.com is better:

The mother of all super flus wipes out civilization, killing all but a very small percentage of people. The few who are left form villages, towns, whole societies that exist within old gas stations and abandoned airports. Some go crazy. Some go mad with power. Some become self-appointed prophets. Some insist that survival alone is not enough, and so they form the Traveling Symphony, going from town to town performing Shakespeare and classical music. Through a rotating cast of characters who are all connected to a famous actor who died onstage during a production of King Lear the night the flu first hit, Mandel explores the end of the world and what comes after.

This is a scary, smart, fascinating thought experiment, and Mandel touches on all the ways–big and small–in which life would change, all of the daily conveniences we take for granted and the annoyances we tolerate because they seem necessary. There’s a conversation between two characters about ridiculous business jargon and how one is haunted by the absurdity of his last conversation with a coworker that is so spot-on, I can’t shake it. Mandel has always been good, and with Station Eleven, she levels up to great in a major way. This is one of the best dystopian stories I’ve ever read. Highly recommended.

#2 15-02-2015
So. Fansee recommended Room and in a leap of faith I read it and i liked it.

Now she turns up with this. I read it. Did I like it? I turned down dinner at the pancake house so I could finish it Big Grin

This book is great - so well written and I love how the author weaves the strands of the story, progressing to a neatly tied ending. A very very very good book. Read it.

#3 15-02-2015
Oooh I'm so glad you liked it, Lee! Turning down dinner at the pancake house, wow, now that is quite a compliment. Smile

Sorry, that is a members only option