Re-Categorizing Clothing with SimPE
#1 05-01-2015 
  • Registered
Hello all! I'm new here *waves* I usually try to figure things out on my own, but I'm stumped and hoping for a little help Smile
I have been trying to re-categorize maxis clothing with SimPE following this tutorial. When I open the game to check my work, I find that some items move fine, but others seem unaffected by the changes I've made to the category. I'm not a wiz at SimPE, but I can say with confidence that I have followed the tutorial exactly as written. I've also tried putting the package file in ...\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Skins as well as ...\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins. Is there a silly (maybe obvious) step that I'm missing? I have the Ultimate Collection- might I need to do something different?

I did notice something a bit funky when editing some categories; it may be unrelated to the problem, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. pubody badger is one of the items that won't seem to move (I want it just as sleepwear). It is always in everyday, sleep, and outerwear. However, it's category, before editing, is 17. I might be mistaken, but wouldn't an item categorized for everyday, sleep, and outerwear need to be 1017?

Sorry that my first post here is asking for help.
*puts out a plate of cookies for anyone who stops by*

#2 05-01-2015 
Hi Krystinz *waves* Welcome to the fish bowl! (Love your avi, BTW) Big Grin

I have recategorized just about everything in my catalog - yes, everything. Rolleyes It's been a long time since I did clothes though... I think I started out doing it all in SimPE, but then I found the Wardrobe Wrangler, and switched to that. I moved all my jewelry and accessories to their own specific places (like: all nail polishes are in the left-pinky-finger category, gloves in the right, etc. Oi!) I also found when doing the hairs, that I could re-arrange them by EP - I recatted all the short hair to M&G, all the African to Uni, all "updos" to Celebration, etc...

But... that's not really answering your q. and I don't have the UC - sorry. I suggest getting the Wardrobe Wrangler Good Luck!

#3 06-01-2015 
  • Registered
Thanks for suggestion! I thought I'd try the Wardrobe Wrangler to see if my problem might not exist with that method, but I can't seem to figure out what source folder to open. To change clothing categories in simPE I went to Program Files...appropriate expansion pack...\TSData\Catalog\Res\Skins. I tried opening that with Wardrobe Wrangler, but it didn't seem to work. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Catherine- I didn't know you could do all that with re-categorizing. I might have to attempt something similar! I love organizing!
Also, if anyone has any insights on my original problem, feel free to chime in Smile

#4 06-01-2015 
Ooooo - are you changing the game files directly? That's usually looked upon as a no-no. I always extract the bit that needs changing (as Phae explains in her tute.)

I think I maybe used WW only on CC. *blushes* Sorry 'bout that. The game files were changed/moved with SimPE; and... are stored in the TSData\Res\Catalog\Skins file.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I did clothes (my post below Phae's tutorial says 2008,) Blush But, I know a few objects - like the TeenStuff Goth bed - can only be moved if you change the file found in the "Override" folders? Maybe clothes are like that too?

I'll have to dig through my notes and see if I can find anything that could help you out. Good Luck!

#5 06-01-2015 
  • Registered
Oh man I didn't even realize you had posted in the tutorial thread Smile I recognize that pic though!

I probably didn't explain it well, but I am extracting the files too (just like in the tutorial) and then fiddling with the new package file. No worries about the Wardrobe Wrangler suggestion, but your clarification does make me feel a little bit better about not understanding how to use it to modify Maxis stuff!

Thanks for taking the time to help me! I'll try poking around the Overrides folder (after making a backup!) and see if anything takes. I feel like I must be doing something silly/wrong because so many things I read say that re-categorizing is easy.

EDIT: I figured it out! Catherine, thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of the overrides folder! I put the my edited package file there and everything (even those pesky toddler bear suits) was moved to the place I chose Smile
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 07:24 AM by krystinz.)

#6 06-01-2015 
YAY!!! I'm glad my old brain was useful Big Grin - I'll still look through my notes for you... I think I have all the numbers you need to change around the hairs if you want to.

#7 06-01-2015 
  • Registered
Oh perfect! I probably won't get to hairs for a while, but that will be useful when I do Smile
Thanks so much!

Sorry, that is a members only option