• Broadchurch - TV Series
  • Reviewer: Klaartje
  • Genre: Crime Drama
  • Rating: 8/10
  • Review Type: Film Review
Amazon blurb: A hot morning in July and the Dorset town of Broadchurch, is bracing itself for the tourist season, when Danny Latimer, an 11 year old schoolboy, goes missing. His mother, Beth, frantically starts to search for him while her best friend, Ellie Miller, a local police officer, arrives at work to discover that the promotion she thought was hers has gone to D.I Alec Hardy: an outsider with a reputation for failure. When Danny's body is found beneath the picturesque cliffs that dominate the town opposites collide. Both Miller and Hardy are determined to solve the mystery of Danny's murder, Ellie perhaps too sensitive to the people in her community; Alec as efficient as he is blunt. When news of the crime spreads through the town, a chain reaction begins which will put Broadchurch under a national spotlight, pulling the town, its residents and its secrets, apart.

Review: I've just finished watching the first season and I absolutely loved it. Fair warning though, if you're looking for a good old-fashioned whodunit, you need to find something else because the killer isn't revealed until the final episode. It took me about an episode to get used to the dramatic cinematography and the suspense of not knowing, but after that I was hooked. Even the cast wasn't told who the killer was until the last possible moment and even then only those who absolutely needed to know were informed. Leaving the actors in the dark influenced their acting for the better, I think. At the end of the day, the point of the story is not to find out who the murderer is, but what other dark secrets are revealed about this seemingly quiet village.

Comments
#2 28-05-2015
I loved season 1 too, I'm looking forward to the next one!
Fun fact: David Tennant stars in the American version (Gracepoint) with an American accent! It got cancelled after one season but I kinda want to see that too because I liked the BBC original so much Big Grin

#3 29-05-2015
Yes! Broadchurch is great. I've seen the first 2 seasons plus the American remake. I liked the remake, but it had been about a year since I'd seen the original. Friends who saw the remake sooner after the original didn't like it as much. Come to think of it though, they also weren't particularly David Tennant fans like I am. Tongue

If you're a David Tennant fan I also highly recommend the British miniseries "Single Father". Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option