Sims 2, Graphics and Windows 10
#111 29-08-2015 
  • Registered
I updated my computer to Windows 10 a week ago and today was the first time I tried to play Sims 2. I use the Sims 2 Store Launcher but when I click on it to start the game I get this error: "Failed to find any direct DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

The problem is that Windows does not seem to have a new DirectX 9.0c for Windows 10! Help me; what should I do?

Attached File(s)
.txt  LAUREN-config-log.txt (Size: 10.38 KB / Downloads: 533)

#112 30-08-2015 
@bkwrm
That's not the problem - the problem is that it's not finding your graphics card at all.
What graphics card do you have?
Unless you have some explicit reason for updating to Windows 10 - I'd rollback to your previous O/S and stick to that.

#114 30-08-2015 
  • Registered
(30-08-2015 03:15 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  @bkwrm
That's not the problem - the problem is that it's not finding your graphics card at all.
What graphics card do you have?
Unless you have some explicit reason for updating to Windows 10 - I'd rollback to your previous O/S and stick to that.

Yeah, I'd been thinking of going back to Windows 7 anyway. I had reached out to Microsoft for what I thought was a separate problem I've been having since the update, but it is actually connected to this problem. Basically, my laptop is so old (3 years!) that Microsoft does not yet have a compatible graphics card for my computer for W10 yet and they have no clue when the update will be available.

It's ok though. I wanted a separate computer for Sims 4 anyway, because I'm OCD like that, so I guess when that eventually happens, I can use my current laptop for Sims 2 only and use my new laptop for Sims 4 plus everything else.

Thanks for looking into it.

#115 30-08-2015 
Thats terrible to hear. My PC is 5 years old and my card is supported. You did check the manufacturers website for drivers?

#116 30-08-2015 
@celebkiriedhel I had a Windows 8.1 laptop but I upgraded it to Windows 10 for free and although it's working ok it takes a while to load when it goes to a loading screen and the gameplay seems choppy when I move around and speed up time. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to speed it up a bit. Thanks!

UPDATE: Here is my config.log file from The Sims 2 folder. -- It also says that I have 1gb of memory in my config.log document but I have 3.6gb of ram on my laptop. Please help Sad

Attached File(s)
.txt  PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.28 KB / Downloads: 473)
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 04:21 PM by Skoorl.)

#117 31-08-2015 
  • Registered
My game keeps crashing after about 15-20 minutes. I updated to Windows 10 when it was released but I just started playing Sims 2 again today. I am really disappointed, hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Attached File(s)
.txt  AMY-HP-config-log.txt (Size: 10.38 KB / Downloads: 464)

#118 31-08-2015 
  • Registered
Well, now I've got another problem. I installed the rest of the expansion pack (latest being Bon Voyage) and now it's saying the application is not compatible with the installed operating system. I was hoping it worked so I can fix the screen resolution again. I...I think I'm throwing in the towel. I've been trying to fix this game for over 5 months... Sad

UPDATE: OK, I had my computer recently cleaned (left over junk files, etc..) and my Sims is up an running; no errors. YAY! The only problem I have is that the Smooth Edges doesn't work. It's not greyed out, it's just that when I slide it down to more and click 'Apply Changes', it doesn't change. Or when I do change the smooth edges AND the Screen Resolution size, the Screen Resolution reverts to 800x600. If there's nothing I can do about it...I guess I can do without the smooth edges. So...any idea why this may be? If not, that's okay...and thank you.
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2015 09:25 AM by Ciaosu.)

#119 10-09-2015 
  • Registered
I've been trawling through this forum and saw that AUTUMNXSIMS had the same problem as me but I couldn't see an answer.
Basically when I start up The Sims 2 it all loads correctly and lets me pick a neighbourhood but once a neighbourhood has loaded I'm greeted with a black screen, I still get the music and sometimes the cursor but no image.

I had a similar problem when I used to play on windows 7 (I think) but to fix that all I did was ctrl + alt + delete to bring up the task
manager then just close that and re-enter the sims and it was fine.
The strange thing is however is that this fix does work sometimes for me on windows 10...

Each time I uninstall and reinstall the sims (I've done it about 3 times now) I get the black screen but the task manager fix works, but when I exit the game and come back to it later the fix doesn't work. I'll see the same black screen and go to open task manager but when I do I find the neighbourhood view comes back but if I click anywhere it takes me straight back to black. This goes on until I end programme. It's very odd because I can move the cursor around and hover over houses and stuff like normal and even click on things but I get a black screen instantly, if I go back to the task manager fix I can get another look at the neighbourhood but again, one click and I'm gone again. If I were to click on a house I would get a black screen, if i were to open task manager and do that whole thing again I would actually see the info box that pops up showing what family lives there. So close yet so far, very annoying!

I should clarify that I'm currently using Windows 10 with all expansions and stuff packs so the mansions pack is my go to exe.

edit: I should also say that on the second time of booting up the game I'll see the normal neighbourhood screen but when I click goes black

Attached File(s)
.txt  ENVY-config-log.txt (Size: 10.43 KB / Downloads: 466)
(This post was last modified: 13-09-2015 07:13 PM by Tankie.)

#120 11-09-2015 
Hello I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection running on Windows 10. I can't find my config log file because I have the game installed on a second hard drive and I'm not exactly sure where to look for it because the file path listed above is not the same file path I have the game installed. Also with it being the Ultimate Collection the folders are named differently.

When I first installed The Sims 2 I had to do the trick to fix my game resolution and also fix the black boxes under the Sims feet. However I'm having a couple other issues.

Issue 1: The game runs smooth with not problems expect when I go into build/buy mode. The game pauses when selecting floor tiles or walls (haven't checked other categories). It pauses as if it's loading the Thumbnails for the first time however it happens every single time I go into the floors. I thought maybe there was a problem with my Thumbnail cache files and I cleared all my Sims 2 caches but the problem still exists and makes building and redesigning houses a problem because the game is constantly freezes when going threw the flooring or walls.
I did have The Sims 2 UC installed on Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10. Don't know if when upgrading maybe something happened but I went into Origin and repaired the game and checked for updates but nothing has fixed it yet. Other than Build/Buy mode the game runs smooth and very fast.

Issue 2: When I create swimming pools with pool light in the middle of the night when it's dark and the lights are on it's casting weird splotchy shadows on the bottom of the pool. I have Shaders enabled and have changed lighting and shadows and all that but still doesn't fix the problem. I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 745 which I understand is a newer card and unsupported (as told to me on the Sims bug forum) however my sister has a newer card Nvidia as well not sure the model but she has absolutely no problems with pool lights. So I'm confuzzled. lol

If there is any other things I can do to optimize my game and fix the pauses on the build mode I'd be greatly appreciated thank you!

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option