Which monitor choose? height adjustable, true colors, eye strain
#1 23-07-2015 
Hi fishes, I try to ask you an advice.

I'm looking for a new monitor because my old monitor (Acer FP563 15") is on its last leg.

I am undecided between two monitors but if you have other tips are welcome Big Grin

[Image: 61Ta1zGnvwL._SX425_.jpg]

Philips Brilliance LED-backlit LCD monitor 221S6QMB S Line 22 (Viewable 21.5" / 54.6 cm) Full HD (1920 x 1080) with SmartImage, AH-IPS LED , (156€)

Display diagonal: 55.88 cm (22"), Response time: 14 ms, Display brightness: 250 cd/m. RMS rated power: 4W. Colour of product: Black, Recyclable material: 25%, Feet colour: Black. Mean time between failures (MTBF): 30000h. Cable lock slot: Kensington, VESA mounting interfaces: 100 x 100 mm, Swivel angle range: -75 - 75.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/221S6QMB_00...smartimage

or

[Image: 41cTWW6Y8QL._SX355_.jpg]

liyama PL B2280HS-B1 Monitor 21,5"

http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-b2280hs-1/ (163€)

Quote:The ProLite B2280HS is a high specification 21.5" Full HD 1920 x 1080p LED-backlit monitor with Height Adjustability and Screen Rotation allowing you to set the perfect position of the screen ensuring ergonomic posture and optimal viewing comfort. 5msec black-to-black response time and 5 000 000:1 Advanced Contrast Ratio make the B2280HS ideal for Video Conferencing, DTP and CAD as well as the usual text based applications. Triple Input support of Analog, DVI and HDMI ensures compatibility with the latest installed graphics cards and embedded Notebook outputs. The monitor is Energy Star Certified.

What I need: height adjustable, true colors (for "web design" etc), reduced eye strain, 21" or 22" (24" I think is too big for me) and for more privacy Big Grin and good price Big Grin (maximum 170-180€)

Thanks Heart
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2015 07:11 PM by noiredeb.)

#2 23-07-2015 
Since the monitor is quite literally the "face" of your computer, it's one of the two MOST important things for computer quality. People want it to move fast and look nice. So you want to get the biggest picture (no such thing as too big! haha). You also want to compare dpi (you want the bigger number) and refresh rate. LED is my personal preference, but i cant remember if that's because of quality or if it's a 'bang for your buck' kinda thing.

The other VERY big thing to consider is product quality, and company rating. I've never heard of iiyama. That would make me steer heavily away. Phillips is a more known commodity... but that's not really top-shelf on monitors. Your safest bet is Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and LG. Vizio is kinda the top of the next tier. My monitor is acer. and i've had it forever. Had to be replaced under warranty once, but that was a relatively simple process. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from Westinghouse... they are HORRIBLE! I had one die a few days after the 1 day warranty expired. I called the company to get some help... They said "We're in the business of selling NEW ones, not helping you fix old ones".

Hope that's helpful. If you're set on one of those two, i'd lean towards the Phillips, only because of the company.

#3 23-07-2015 
I *have* heard of Iiyama. In fact, I've had several of their monitors. And I was most pleased with their quality, too! Actually, the last Iiyama monitor I had, was a Prolite model as well. After 4 years of extensive use, I eventually had to get rid of it in favor of a larger screen with a higher resolution, but the picture quality had not changed a bit. So I was actually sad to see the Iiyama go, because I was very happy with it.

On the other hand, I've had bad experiences with Philips devices. Not monitors per se, but devices in general. Usually, in my possession, one day after the warranty expires the device itself does so as well! Not so with Iiyama, though.

Samsung and LG are very sturdy choices as well. Currently I have an LG Flatron W2452T, 24" monitor, which has served me for 5 years now, and is still doing extremely well!

#4 23-07-2015 
thanks for correcting me on that BO. My opinion was sort of a "devil you know vs the devil you don't". A lot of these electronics companies make equipment with the lifespan equivalent of carnival goldfish. Lasts JUST long enough so that they don't have to give you your money back... i haven't bought Phillips ANYTHING (except light bulbs) in a dog's age because after my Westinghouse (big company, around forever!) experience, i strictly stick to the Big 4 i mentioned above. (...bought my acer monitor before this experience, so they might be an exception in the future!)

-gE
>=)

#5 23-07-2015 
In general, when it comes to know vs. unknown devils, I feel the same way, @grinEvilly. But in dutch, we have a saying that goes "Produktie Hopeloos, Iedere Lamp Is Practisch Stuk!" meaning: production hopeless, every lightbulb is practically broken. Now read only the capital letters, and it says... PHILIPS.

#6 24-07-2015 
Lately I'm directing more about the new entry brands. Under the famous brands often I read complaints, poor customer service, etc. but because now they have their share of the market and can do (almost) everything that they want. The new brands instead must be known and generally (not always of course, there will be always new brands with very poor quality) who care about the customer and make itself known in a positive manner. Then when they'll become famous, even they too get worse Big Grin or raise prices

[Image: 61rWrJIh0mL._SY355_.jpg]

Now I'm undecided also with AOC I2269VWM LCD Monitor 21.5". It's IPS, so it has sharp colors and costs less of iiyama (143€) but doesn't have the height adjustable Sad But I read many positive reviews about this monitor. It is sold by Amazon, so if I don't like it I can send it back, free Big Grin

Other monitors of iiyama with IPS + height adjustable are all from 23"/24" and cost 190€ and more Confused

#7 24-07-2015 
If you simply don't have the €190, then I understand that you look for a cheaper alternative. The price for this AOC monitor isn't too horrible, so even if it runs well for only 2 or 3 years, then it might be worth it. Besides, there is never a guarantee that any monitor will live a long life. One person buys a Philips and it breaks one day after expiration of the warrantee, and another buys exactly the same model and it still works well after 10 years. So, if nobody else has a good reason not to take this deal, I would say go for it!

But really... unless you live in a very small box of a home, a monitor that is too big does NOT exist.

#8 24-07-2015 
(24-07-2015 01:03 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  If you simply don't have the €190, then I understand that you look for a cheaper alternative. The price for this AOC monitor isn't too horrible, so even if it runs well for only 2 or 3 years, then it might be worth it. Besides, there is never a guarantee that any monitor will live a long life. One person buys a Philips and it breaks one day after expiration of the warrantee, and another buys exactly the same model and it still works well after 10 years. So, if nobody else has a good reason not to take this deal, I would say go for it!

But really... unless you live in a very small box of a home, a monitor that is too big does NOT exist.

I tried a monitor TV 27" with my PC...terrible! It was really too big for me, I don't mean the desktop space but for my eyes Big Grin I lost icons for all monitor lol

27" is about 68cm, 24" is 60cm, 22" is 55cm. Not big difference between 22" and 24" but I see 20"/22" monitors more for PC and >24" for TV or anyway to watch many movies on PC

#9 24-07-2015 
Sometimes, I connect my TV to my computer, and sit far away from it at my couch! My TV is 40", not too big at all! Big Grin

#10 24-07-2015 
I have an AOC monitor and it is great - it's about 4 years old now.

Sorry, that is a members only option