Old/Wild West Project
#11 01-08-2015 
I suppose everything's impossible, until somebody does it for the first time. =)

That's also why i put even my most pie-in-the-sky ideas in my first post. I thought cracking the souvenir display to sell custom souvenirs would be a major challenge, and Jones whipped it up lickety-split! There's some amazingly talented and skilled people out there, whose creations and imagination never cease to blow my doors off. And here at leefish, I find myself surrounded by an entire fishbowl full of 'em! And i don't even have to grovel, like at MATY. =)

You guys really are some of the nicest, most helpful, and highly skilled folks i've met in the Sims Community.

-gE
>=)

#12 02-08-2015 
Jones,

Thanks for responding. No rush whenever you get a chance. I know GE has a list of great ideas. I will also add some pictures if you like. I just need to find some that are suitable.

#13 02-08-2015 
I am an avid reader, but not being able to buy any books, I lurk and read. I'm also what is called an obsessive thinker, therefore I read and my mind spins around all sorts of ideas. Not being a creator or modder, I have no clue if my ideas are even possible. That being said, I was wondering if the digging can have added items or if it might be possible to dig items on lots in the specific themed area. I use digging a lot for my sims and wouldn't want to lose the items they collect.

Also, if I read the comment from Leefish correctly, only 3 secret inhabitants are allowed and if more are needed, they could spawn more the way secret society members do. Unless they are the three mentioned for that lot. I don't really remember if I've seen more than 3 SS members at a time. Also, hat tipping could be a gesture even without a hat, I've seen the motion done many times without a hat being worn. Or how about a whistle? The 'Group' animation when a leader calls the group together, index fingers at mouth and wave them to join together.

With the amount of creative additions made to sims by the community, it seems possible that many ideas can be added. EAxis didn't really appreciate what they had and could have accomplished with Sims 2.

#14 02-08-2015 
(02-08-2015 04:57 PM)Duine Wrote:  EAxis didn't really appreciate what they had and could have accomplished with Sims 2.

THAT is most certainly true. So much more could have been possible, if they had even tried! If Will Wright had still been part of the team, more would absolutely have happened. But no, EA had to chase him off like a rabid dog, completely screwing up his ideas about the further development of the game and the franchise. If Will had been able to stay around, his special Simantic editor named "Edith" might even have been released as a tool for modders. That was what he said he wanted, after all. But now we have to make do with SimPE. Mind you, SimPE is not a bad tool at all - it has a lot of fantastic features - but Edith was a graphical BHAV programming interface, especially designed to make writing BHAVs a lot easier.

#15 02-08-2015 
The secret inhabitants are the oldman, the witchdoctor and Bigfoot. From what I have read, those are the only possible inhabitants of a secret vacation lot for the hood to "work". Knowing EA, they hardcoded it to 3.

#16 02-08-2015 
@Duine -- I think that's what Lee was saying in an earlier post... being able to add custom items to dig up. HugeLunatic at MTS posted her mod here, and it seems that (with a few limitations), you can dig up all kinds of things. Most game objects and even CC. So that makes me believe that you can add new things without having to remove game-standard items. Pretty cool mod, huh!?

The 'Group' animation... for assembling the whole outing! Aha!! i had to read your comment a second time, before it dawned on me, exactly what you meant!! That's a great possibility! Inspiring!! I'll have to refresh my memory, and see what's what, but very good thinking!!

Ideas are fantastic and great and wonderful and VERY welcome! Keep 'em coming!! Please, feel free to add anything, no matter how crazy it might seem. Like BO was saying, everything's impossible til someone does it. =) I'm not a modder or a creator myself... or, at least, not a very good one. I'm hoping to learn to mesh... i've tinkered with a TINY FRACTION of coding... nothing major league. But I know I read BO post somewhere, something along the lines of, every modder and creator started out from the same point of having never created anything, before they got to where they are today. We're fortunate to be able to stand on the shoulders of giants! Even if you never create a thing, ALL creations start with an idea, and that takes creative ability, too. I hope you'll continue to participate in the discussion. Thinkers are my favorite people!

BO, i didn't know that Will Wright wanted to release his tools to the community. Could you IMAGINE what could've been done? I'm sure they had a far superior means to creating and importing animations... the possibilities are ENDLESS! The Sims definitely lost a big part of their character when Will Wright departed. I think he was the humor behind TS1 and the early goings of TS2. EAxis saw it as a cash-cow, and not a passion. And BOY!! Did they ever milk it! (thinking, Smart Milk w/ Aspiration failure *GULP*) = vegetable

Lee, that's disappointing about TS2 limiting the game to only 3 Special Vacation Lot characters. I suppose, since each one required quite a bit of programming... Not that it was impossible, but... it would've taken effort and they probably just didn't feel like it. What you're saying makes sense, but it stinks. I really wanted a prospector in an old mine, panning for gold... Maybe he could be coded like the gypsy or something, to randomly appear and stroll around the lot... And maybe a certain object or item can trigger a reward response? Maybe he needs one of Jones's elixirs or maybe you have to dig up a gold nugget or an arrowhead and give it to him, and in return he gives you... something?

To answer a question above, the Secret Society with UNIV can produce a lot more than 3 NPC members. I think my game probably has 8-12 of them.

Keep 'em coming, guys! We've found some really great things already, like the 'hood deco trains, bv-functioning teepees, and even totem poles! An Indian chieftain headdress, and/or one with a feather or two would come in handy. And i'd like a "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" poncho, as well. If anybody comes across those, HOLLER!! =)

-gE
>=)

#17 02-08-2015 
We could sort of do a work around with the prospector ( I say we, but I have no idea how to do it, lol), but he could be an NPC that is called by an object. Sort of like MSD's ogre... It could be something where it's not obvious what will happen. Like some artifact that you just click to "examine" then he shows up yelling about not touching his treasures or something Tongue

#18 03-08-2015 
HAHAH! I love that idea, Jones!! Maybe a little sifting pan, or a pick-axe, or something to that effect. hahah, i'm picturing in my head, a couple of sticks with a clothes line in between 'em, and some long-johns with a trap door in the back hanging off.

#19 06-08-2015 
Oh WOW!! Lookie what i stumbled across!

[Image: coiffe%20chef%202%20det.jpg]

It was listed under "Things that exist, but aren't awesome one way or another" but NOTHING could be further from the truth! These are awesome personified... simmified?

I can only take partial credit for finding them... @justJones shared a link with me, that @fanseelamb shared with her, and I stumbled across the misleading 'non-awesome' head-fake, designed to throw us off the trail of AWESOMNTY!!

If that doesn't say "Wild West Awesome" I don't know what does!!

(bottom of the page) http://sites.estvideo.net/bipsouille.sim...fures4.htm

#20 10-08-2015 
Food, rabbit stew. Now who doesn't like a big ol' pot of rabbit stew cooked in a dutch oven over a campfire? I found a bit of info about the dutch oven used in frontier days. Interesting bit of history.

Good ol’ Dutch Oven cookin' dates back to the frontier days, some 200 hundred years ago. The authentic Dutch oven was, and still is, a heavy cast iron kettle or pot with a cast iron lid. The inventor is said to be Paul Revere. It was the original frontier foods outdoor cooking utensil of preference, carried by early trappers, explorers, cowboys and settlers and of necessity, became their most essential piece of equipment. Without a doubt it is one of the most important pieces of survival gear that helped tame the old west.

Dutch ovens are designed like a large cast iron frying pan with high sides and a heavy lid, and a heavy wire bail for a handle, instead of an extended grip handle. The lid has a lip that fits tight and the top dips concave to hold hot coals. It has a flat bottom and three short legs. When the Dutch oven is placed over hot coals it becomes a cooking pot. When it is placed over hot coals with top of the lid filled with coals, it becomes an oven. Like cast iron frying pans, they are made in various diameters. The most common size is 12 inches. The lid itself can be turned upside down and used for a griddle. Ovens can even be stacked, one on top of the other to cook various courses of a meal at the same time. The Dutch oven is an amazingly versatile cooking utensil for stewing, roasting, frying and baking frontier foods over open fires. (Yes, the Dutch oven can also be used in the manner of any cast iron pot on a stove).

Sorry, that is a members only option