Modded skunk
#11 21-08-2015 
Yeah... That was my thread (that Lee pointed to earlier) And, @BoilingOil - you did read it, a long time ago when I first posted it.
We left off back in 2014, with @celebkiriedhel going to take a look at it. I don't think she got very far with it.
After searching forEVER for a playable pet skunk, I gave up Sad
@Blueangel - please let me know if you ever find one. K?

#12 21-08-2015 
Yep, BO, that was me. Smile And it was indeed quite complicated. Object animation isn't easy, and Sim (and I assume pet) animation is much, much, MUCH worse. Confused

@Blueangel, BO is absolutely right. What you're asking is as close to impossible as you can get. If it could be done, it would have been already, and not just once - but like BO said, in ten years none of all the absolutely brilliant modders out there has been able to turn the skunk into a pet. I'd say that's a pretty good sign it's not possible. And as someone who knows a bit about animation, I can tell you that it's NOT just a matter of changing a name somewhere and then *poof!* pet skunk! - that's like expecting your PC to turn into a Mac because you've slapped an Apple sticker on it. It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

#13 22-08-2015 
Isn't the skunk a universal character? In which case messing with it except to default it would break your game.

#14 22-08-2015 
(21-08-2015 11:14 PM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  And, @BoilingOil - you did read it, a long time ago when I first posted it.

I should probably have been more precise, @CatherineTCJD. Because what I *meant* was, that I haven't read that thread *recently*. My bad Big Grin

Anyway, I've looked at it now, and I think I can be a little more precise. As said in that old thread, putting the skunk coat on a cat body isn't the biggest issue, but then making it sound like a skunk, yet act like a pet is *extremely* complicated. I think it would be as much work as building an entirely new type of NPC. And I know of only two persons who have ever made new NPCs: Chris Hatch (not likely to bother with pets), and the guy from DMA Sims (left the scene years ago).

@joandsarah I think you're right, dear. It's likely that messing about with skunk clones will cause as much trouble as messing about with creatures like Grimmy and Mrs. Crumplebottom. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 22-08-2015 03:26 AM by BoilingOil.)

#15 22-08-2015 
It's worth asking Chris Hatch... you never know what might tickle his interests.

I've seen him respond to threads where people posted what they WISH was in the game, by creating exactly what they wished for. In fact, he's done it with a couple of my wishes... One being an option for a sim kid using the activity table to invite other sims to 'join' the play. Prior, you could only make active sims participate. If your sim had a friend over that wasn't active/selectable, you had to hope for an autonomous 'join' action. I just complained about it, and he whipped up a 'fix'.

Long story short, he MIGHT be willing to look at it. He does not create custom animations, but he's a whiz with importing them into the game. Can't hurt to ask. Worst he can tell you is "no". And really, if he does, what have you lost?

Not to falsely get your hopes up... The people who have answered your question thus far are some of the BEST in the Business, and if they say it's next to impossible, you can pretty much rest assured that they're probably right. They know what they're doing, and they do it VERY VERY well.

Good luck, and... if you find a way, be sure to share the results! ...like BO said, everything's impossible til someone's done it.

-gE
>=)

#16 22-08-2015 
hey hey I was only asking. I didn't know it would come to all of this. I get it! It's impossible, or at least that we know of. Thanks for the huge responses though.

#17 25-08-2015 
You can use defaults on universals, there is a nun default for Mrs C.

#18 25-08-2015 
If you're referring to a default *replacement*, you're absolutely right. But that will merely change what the object *looks* like. It will not change how the object behaves. Nor will it make a copy or clone of the object. Default replacements are totally harmless. Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option