BO's help for Pook
#1 20-08-2015 
Hi @Pook,

Since you cannot even load a lot without the game immediately crashing, there is no point in asking you to install my No Sim Loaded mod (if you don't already have it). Because for NSL to work, it needs to have time BEFORE the lot crashes. So we need to start somewhere else in this case.

Therefor, I think you would do best to start by downloading Mootilda's Neighborhood Corruption Detector first.
Before you run this program, first make a backup copy of your neighborhood's folder, so there is something we can go back to, if need be. Also make sure that you've read Mootilda's description and usage instructions for the HoodChecker, before you start this program. Then let this checker fix all the problems it finds.
Once you have done that, I would like you to run the game. Once in the game, create a new lot (you don't need to build a house on it), and dump some sim on it. Load this new lot, and see if the game crashes. After that, we'll see what else we can do.

#2 21-08-2015 
  • Registered
Hey @BoilingOil, I did exactly as you asked! I created a new lot in Belladona cove after running HoodChecker, and put a sim on it, and it worked fine. I got excited and tried to load my favorite family, and unfortunately it crashed the same as it has been. Thanks a bunch for your help so far!

#3 21-08-2015 
Yeah... I expected that your favorite family would not load yet. That's why you needed to create the empty lot: so we have a point from where we can do some in-game cleaning.

What I now want you to do, is to download and install the "No Sim Loaded" mod (get the FINAL Bugfix version) that I gave you a link to in my previous post. After installing that mod, start the game again, and load the new lot again. Then wait for a notification to appear in the top right corner, saying that BO has cleaned up a lot of stuff. Make a note of the numbers (I want to hear how much it was), then save the lot and exit the game. Then start it up again and see if your favorite family loads. Two things can happen here:
  • The lot loads, and the game still crashes. Don't worry. We're not ready yet.
  • The lot loads, and everything seems fine. Don't start playing and doing a lot of stuff, because there is a lot more work to do. Just wait for the message that stuff was cleaned up, save the lot, and exit the game.

Remember that after loading and saving the new lot, it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY that you exit the game and start it up from scratch again. This is REALLY IMPORTANT.
Let me know if your family loaded, and what numbers the mod cleaned up. Next post, we'll start looking at some other stuff that needs to be done.

#4 21-08-2015 
  • Registered
Hi, I have a couple of (probably stupid) questions, but I've never done this type of stuff before. How long do you think it'll take for the mod to give it's notification the first time? Also, does the lot need to be paused or running while the mod is doing it's thing?

#5 21-08-2015 
Did you not even take the time to READ the page where you downloaded it? Because those questions would all be answered there! ALWAYS when you download a mod, it is important that you read the documentation, because then you know how the mod works, and how you should use it. If you don't read such information, you risk breaking your game!

Anyway. Nothing happens when the game is paused. And that also means that my mod will not do anything when the game is paused.
So let it run at normal speed. As far as I know, it usually takes only a few seconds, unless there are millions of things to clean up, in which case it might take a little longer...

#6 21-08-2015 
  • Registered
I did actually. I read through it multiple times. And I never saw any mention of the time it would take or whether the game needed to run, which is why I came and asked. As I said in my first post (in the other thread) I'm not very tech savvy. I've stayed away from modding in general because I'm afraid of breaking an eleven year old game beyond repair and not being able to find help fixing it. I wanted to know what to expect before I did it, so I didn't mess anything up. So I apologize if I'm apparently oblivious and missed something.

I ran the program and the new lot loaded fine, I got a pop up that said: BO fried 98 tokens, trashed 1 controllers, denied 1,360 rumours and fixed 0 sim states.
I restarted the game from scratch and loaded my sim family, and it crashed in the usual spot again.

#7 21-08-2015 
Ok, @Pook. I thought I had written a clear and informational description, but that is obviously not the case, then. Maybe in the latest rewrite, I accidentally deleted that part. I'll look into making it clearer. Thank you for your clarification on that matter.

Now as for your game. 98 tokens is not that much, and the 1,360 rumours aren't all that shocking either. We've done the external clean-up with the Hood Checker, and the internal clean-up with NSL. But so far, your favorite family still fails to load without error. Now it's time to start getting a bit worried. I think I need to have a look at the lot where that family lives. In order to do that, I need you to send me a copy of that lot. Below, I'll tell you how to do that.

Start the game, and go into the neighborhood. Once you are there, press CTRL-SHIFT-C, and then in the line that appears at the top of the screen, type the following line:

boolprop ShowLotPackageFilename true

Then press the enter key. After that, when you mouse over the lot where your favorite family lives, the game should show you the filename of the lot. I would like you to find that file, put it in a zip file and attach it to a message here, if possible. If you can't get it to work, let me know where you're stuck, and we'll try to solve that.

#8 21-08-2015 
  • Registered
Thanks for the help, I think I've done this correctly?

Attached File(s)
.zip  E001_Lot214.zip (Size: 975.34 KB / Downloads: 510)

#9 22-08-2015 
Ok, thank you, @Pook. I'll have a look at it. Maybe I can figure out how we can make it playable again.

#10 22-08-2015 
Hi @Pook,

I've tried to open the lot - without sims - in a test hood and it crashed in my game as well. So we need to try something else.

Start the game, go to the neighborhood, click on the lot, and find the option to "package" the lot to a file. Carefully read the notifications that appear, to see where the game puts the sims2pack file. Find that file, put it in a zip again, and attach that if you can. I'm not giving up yet Smile

Sorry, that is a members only option