I Tried To Make A Door
#11 06-10-2015 
Doors now Smile Gonna make a centered one?

#12 06-10-2015 
* fanseelamb glares at the demanding fish

Apparently I'm gonna attempt making a centered door later tonight. Or whenever MLC gets back with the new subset.

And probably a double door after that. Reading

So should I attempt making those handles "slaved" to the single door handle? Probably I guess?

#13 06-10-2015 
Of course Smile What you need to do is look at a set of doors that are already cloned to a master door (for the handle - von trapp doors on MTS has this feature I think) - the rest you can repository as normal. As your door has no glass panel, you might want to try cloning one of my centered doors from MTS (the value door?) as on those there is no light shining through - the ONLY EA/Maxis centered door in the entire game is the colonial, and that has a light file.

#14 06-10-2015 
Aha. Yes. This is just the value door with a different handle, so cloning that one should work perfectly. In theory, anyway. I'll try that. Smile

#15 06-10-2015 
Well. Crash, crash, crash. Unbelievable!
I've got doors that are slaved to the in game craftsman window but have a texture for the handle. I checked my edits of your files and everything seems to be alright now..

But I just got home and haven't been able to check yet. I shall do that right now. Smile

#16 06-10-2015 
@mustluvcatz - I did compress the files with compressorizor. I remember you once saying that can cause crashes if you try to edit compressed files afterwards. Ack. Really hope that's not the culprit. I honestly thought the door was done, didn't anticipate editing any more so didn't save an uncompressed copy. Should've known better. Undecided

#17 06-10-2015 
I ran them through the compressorizer so that shouldn't cause any problems. I do that with compressed files that I edit all the time, including walls and floors. That said - crash, crash, crash again!

I'm beginning to think it's not possible to do what I'm trying to do. I thought the doors I mentioned above were slaved in this way. Nope, turns out diagonal version has the handle texture in the file - there are already 2 subsets so... *sigh* I keep forgetting to check - does the in game door have 2 subsets? If so maybe that's why I can't get it to work. (Everything looks fine though. Maybe I'll try it again with new files.)

#18 06-10-2015 
The in game door is a little weird. It has one subset I guess, and the handle is.... unrecolourable? When you try to recolour the restroom door, you get the JustaDoor texture. The metal restroom handle never shows up as an option to recolour. Honestly I have no idea what's going on with it... I'm no expert at this sort of thing.

The way I made this was very simple newbish luck. I cloned the straight restroom door. Its mesh has a door group and a sign/handle group. I edited the sign/handle mesh and texture. The door texture was already pre-slaved to the JustaDoor, so I left it as-is. Also, when the door was cloned it automatically lost whatever made it a "men only" entrance. So um, yeah, it was just dumb luck that it didn't require bhav editing or anything. The diagonal door I did the same way - just cloned the Maxis diagonal restroom door. It came with a full mesh, but only a wallmask texture.

#19 06-10-2015 
Hmmm. I'll keep trying but don't feel you have to wait to release your doors. If I can get it to work you can always update or offer my edits as an alternate/additional download. I can't promise when I'll get this done since I've got more running around to do the rest.of.the.week. (Love, love, love my mom but I can't wait until she's given the ok to drive again! 5 hours today just to take her to get a test - that took 10 minutes- done.. including driving there and back.)

#20 07-10-2015 
Yikes that's a long drive! Worth it though, of course, for your mom's health. I hope she continues improving.

No worries about the door. I'll try making those centered and double versions and see how long THAT takes, LOL. I'm in no rush to upload but indeed, your edited versions can always be added later.

* fanseelamb offers another wooly hug Heart

ETA: Wellll my attempt at a centred door crashed the game in a brand new way! So that was fun. Confused

* fanseelamb is reconsidering this centred door idea
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 12:44 AM by fanseelamb.)

Sorry, that is a members only option