• Emma Donoghue
  • Genre: Historical
  • Rating: 10/10
  • Review Type: Book Review
Description from Goodreads: The fascinating characters that roam across the pages of Emma Donoghue's stories have all gone astray: they are emigrants, runaways, drifters, lovers old and new. They are gold miners and counterfeiters, attorneys and slaves. They cross other borders too: those of race, law, sex, and sanity. They travel for love or money, incognito or under duress.

With rich historical detail, the celebrated author of Room takes us from puritan Massachusetts to revolutionary New Jersey, antebellum Louisiana to the Toronto highway, lighting up four centuries of wanderings that have profound echoes in the present. Astray offers us a surprising and moving history for restless times.

Review: Room was the first novel I read by Emma Donoghue (already reviewed by Fanseelamb) and I absolutely loved it. Little did I know that Emma Donoghue actually spends most of her time writing historical fiction. And she rocks it. An extremely well-read and imaginative author, who finds an obscure newspaper article or a short anecdote from academic research and turns it into a beautiful short story. It takes a special kind of genius to pick the right tools for the right story and Donoghue nails it every single time. Very much recommended, even if you're not a fan of historical fiction.

Comments
#2 14-01-2016
Ooh. I don't normally go for short stories, but Emma Donohue's "Room" was fantastic and these stories sound interesting. Gonna add it to my reading list. Thanks for the rec. Smile

#3 14-01-2016
I keep reading that as "Ashtray" and thinking, must be some French film. ahahha

-gE
>=)

Sorry, that is a members only option