Visual effects not showing up
#1 18-01-2016 
  • Registered
Hello.

The effects in-game such as fire, the attack cloud, rain etc. aren't showing up in my game. I know this isn't a CC problem because my vanilla AnyGame has the same problem.
I've tried looking at my Graphics Rules and config-log, and I can't find any clues. useEffects appears to be true.
A side-note: My config-log is also saying I have 1024MB of memory, even though my computer has 8GB RAM. Anyone know why that is?

Example with Attack cloud and Fire

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 7500M/7600M series graphics card, Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60 GHz (Dual core).

.txt  VAIO-config-log.txt (Size: 10.3 KB / Downloads: 468)

#2 18-01-2016 
I would check the settings for the video-card in general, because I suspect that on your system the "particle effects" may have been disabled.

#3 18-01-2016 
@RUncertainty

Your graphic rules is ok - your special effects are definitely turned on.

So yeah, Boiling Oil is correct - it's settings for your graphics card. If you run a dxdiag, you'll see whether your 'particle effects' has been disabled. Have you recently updated the graphics driver? That may have turned it off for you.

#4 21-01-2016 
  • Registered
I've just run a dxdiag, and it didn't tell me anything about particle effects settings. I've also looked at the card settings in the Control Panel, and the AMD Catalyst Control Centre, and haven't found anything helpful to me.

#5 21-01-2016 
A quick google shows me that for other older games the particle effects is an issue with the AMD cards. I understand you may be reluctant to share your dxdiag, but you can try checking these things:

Is your driver up to date?
Does the game resolution match the native display settings on your laptop?

Alternatively, try running with the integrated card.

#6 22-01-2016 
  • Registered
My driver is up-to-date, and I run my game at my native screen resolution. (1366x768)
Here's my DxDiag.txt file, in case it's helpful.

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 82.15 KB / Downloads: 546)

Also, how do you run the game with the integrated card? And wouldn't that hinder graphics performance in other areas?

#7 22-01-2016 
Disclaimer in advance: I have not looked at any of your files, so I can only make a general comment.

As far as I know, running on the integrated card *might* (emphasis on *might*) hinder performance in other areas: the integrated card would use system memory to run. If system memory was limited, that would constitute a problem. You do not want your graphics to use 1 GB from a 2 GB computer, but from an 8 GB system like yours, it shouldn't hurt.

#8 22-01-2016 
@RUncertainty

I have no idea whether this will do anything at all. But it's worth a try.

With your video card - the name is different between the card and the database. It's still recognised as found, because the actual device number is the same. What I've done - is made you a card with the correct card name for the database.

We know that Windows 10, does have some features that muck up the game when the video card isn't recognised - so this *may* be one.

Download Video Card - Radeon - 6841

#9 24-01-2016 
  • Registered
I downloaded the Video Cards.sgr, but it didn't fix my problem. It was worth a try though.
I also have no idea how to run the game on the integrated card.

#10 24-01-2016 
@RUncertainty

I know with NVidia there's a choice in the Graphics Card manager selection thingy. I don't know about Radeon.

For me, on my machine - the way I use the Intel card, is to unplug the monitor from the PC, with the Large radeon connector, and connect it into the spot with the small intel connector.

I'll google it and see what I can come up with - what sort of machine do you have?

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option