No config log - Can't go above 800x600 resolution
#1 08-02-2016 
I'm not including a config log as it's empty, so no point including it. I have AMD Radeon HD 5700 series graphics card. Windows 7 64-bit.

For some reason, my game out of nowhere decided it would only play in 800x600 resolution. I haven't installed any new EPs, or anything Sim-related. I've googled and googled and at this point I'm so confused I don't know up from down.

I play in windowed mode. It used to be 1024x768, but now it's 800x600. When I open the game, and go to graphics settings, 800x600 is the only possible option. I've tried adding -w -r1024x768 to the shortcut, which has helped in the past, but no change.

I first tried the article on MTS Game Help, that said to look for forceLowResolution in Graphics Rules.sgr and set it to false. It doesn't specify which to edit, and the file has many. The first one that came up was already set to false. I tried editing all of them, and no improvement.

I found the article by TheISZ over at simbology explaining that you can make the game recognize bigger resolutions by changing lines below option ScreenModeResolution to match your set up. My max resolution is 1280x1024, but for some reason it's set to 1600x. I don't understand what the difference between maxRes and defaultRes is, and I can't find anyone that wrote how they set it up that wanted 1024x768, so I don't know what I should edit it to.

I've read a bunch more stuff, but by now my head is spinning and I have no idea what to do. Any and all help would be appreciated. I hope I covered all the things you wanted to know, I might have missed something in this cloud of confusion.
gummilutt, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jun 2013.

#2 08-02-2016 
@gummilutt

Hummm - an empty config-log.txt doesn't sound right. Does that mean you can't get into the game at all? The config-log.txt is generated every time either bodyshop or the game is started.
If you're sure you're looking at the right file, then try opening up Body shop and having a look. It should be updated every time you open something.

It's probably better that you don't change the settings in the graphic rules.sgr until we know what the problem is. If you're stuck at 800x600 the likelihood is that you've got the texture memory problem. If you've got the texture memory problem, then making those changes suggested by TheIsz and so on won't help.

But we won't know for certain until we can a non-empty config-log.txt.

What do you have in your log folder - can you give me a screen shot? There might be another file I can look at.

#3 08-02-2016 
Sorry, I was being dumb. For some reason I thought you meant GraphicsLog.txt, because I could not see a config log. I see now it has my computer name in front of it. I've attached it now.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOPIOR-config-log.txt (Size: 7.45 KB / Downloads: 584)

#4 08-02-2016 
@gummilutt
fabulous - yup you have the memory texture problem - that comes with changes in the O/S so it's probably that you've recently updated Windows.

Fortunately it's an easy fix.

Download Graphic Rules - Radeon -Texture Fix
and
Download Video Card - Radeon - 68b8

You don't save if you use the UC or the DVDs. So the folder location could be either

Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most current expansion pack>\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

or

\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\

Put them in both folders

#5 08-02-2016 
Thank you thank you thank you thank you! That worked. It's almost silly how happy it made me when the window opened in the right size. You're the best ever and I love you forever. I should probably have been able to figure this out myself, but my head was quite literally spinning, so I am very grateful that you helped me out Smile

I did indeed update windows. For the first time in over two years. What did I learn? Don't update windows Tongue Future me, stick to your "nope no updates no thank you"-approach.

#6 09-02-2016 
"No updates, no thank you very much!"

I agree to that. It's been my policy for at least the last 15 years or so.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option