Sims 2 graphics problems
#1 12-02-2016 
  • Registered

My computer crashed recently, and I had to change my hard disc, which also means that I had to reinstall the Sims 2. I had problems with the graphics already before my computer crash, and did not get any better after I reinstalled the game. As seems to be the case with many others on this forum, I too have problems with the graphics. My game is stuck in low resolution, as it was before it crashed. I have asked for help on this forum once before and I got a new .sgr file with graphics rules especially adapted to computers with radeon graphics cards.
I tried the same after the re-installation, but I'm still stuck in low resolution, and I also suspect that there is something else that is wrong with my game, because when I go to Documents/EA Games/Sims 2/Config there are only three files there (Broadcast, userProps, and VideoCapture). No Graphics Rules, no file defining video cards, and also no csconfig folder, as it should have been.
I nevertheless tried to paste in the Radeon-adapted graphics rules, but I'm still stuck in low resolution.
I would have included the -config-log.txt file if I had it, but it is not in my Logs folder. Also in case it is interesting; I am running windows 7 ;-)
I would be very happy if someone could tell me what is wrong. The Sims 2 is my absolute favourite game, and I really want it to look as it once used to! Hope someone can help me :-)

#2 12-02-2016 

Documents/EA Games/Sims 2/Config - doesn't have the graphic rules - it has 3 files that are involved in the user set up of the game:

So you are seeing exactly what you should see in the config folder.

The actual config folder that you need to put your graphic rules into is in your Program folders : i.e.

\Program Files(X86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Mansion & Gardens\Res\Data\Config\
\Program Files(X86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Mansion & Gardens\Res\Data\CSConfig\

Assuming that you have all the CD/DVDs.

So my guess is that the reason the cards from previously aren't working is because you're putting them in the wrong place.

More problematic is the missing config-log.txt.
When you are looking for that, are you looking for it with the pc-name on the front?
Could you give me a screen shot of your logs folder? Thanks.

#3 13-02-2016 
  • Registered

Now I feel stupid :-P Of course it was the wrong folder! Now I have replaced the graphics rules file in \Program Files(X86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Mansion & Gardens\TSData\Res\Config and CSConfig, and I am no longer stuck in low resolution! Thank you :-) But still, now that I have the higher resolution, some of the menus are covering up half of the sim when I am making a new sim. I tried to include a screenshot (twice). Not sure it worked, because I can't see it when I preview my post. Any idea how to fix that? Also, I seem to have a texture problem. The sims looks pixely, even though both my effect detail, sim detalj and texture detalj settings are set to high :-(

Thank you so much for helping me :-D Have a great day!

By the way, I found my log file. My brain must have been temporarily off yesterday. Sorry about that. Here it is :-)
.txt  G-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.1 KB / Downloads: 31)
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2016 11:55 AM by Guinevere.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option