Sims 2 graphics problems
#1 12-02-2016 
  • Registered
Hi!

My computer crashed recently, and I had to change my hard disc, which also means that I had to reinstall the Sims 2. I had problems with the graphics already before my computer crash, and did not get any better after I reinstalled the game. As seems to be the case with many others on this forum, I too have problems with the graphics. My game is stuck in low resolution, as it was before it crashed. I have asked for help on this forum once before and I got a new .sgr file with graphics rules especially adapted to computers with radeon graphics cards.
I tried the same after the re-installation, but I'm still stuck in low resolution, and I also suspect that there is something else that is wrong with my game, because when I go to Documents/EA Games/Sims 2/Config there are only three files there (Broadcast, userProps, and VideoCapture). No Graphics Rules, no file defining video cards, and also no csconfig folder, as it should have been.
I nevertheless tried to paste in the Radeon-adapted graphics rules, but I'm still stuck in low resolution.
I would have included the -config-log.txt file if I had it, but it is not in my Logs folder. Also in case it is interesting; I am running windows 7 ;-)
I would be very happy if someone could tell me what is wrong. The Sims 2 is my absolute favourite game, and I really want it to look as it once used to! Hope someone can help me :-)

#2 12-02-2016 
@Guinevere

Documents/EA Games/Sims 2/Config - doesn't have the graphic rules - it has 3 files that are involved in the user set up of the game:
Broadcast.ini
userProps.xml
VideoCapture.ini

So you are seeing exactly what you should see in the config folder.

The actual config folder that you need to put your graphic rules into is in your Program folders : i.e.

\Program Files(X86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Mansion & Gardens\Res\Data\Config\
\Program Files(X86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Mansion & Gardens\Res\Data\CSConfig\

Assuming that you have all the CD/DVDs.

So my guess is that the reason the cards from previously aren't working is because you're putting them in the wrong place.

More problematic is the missing config-log.txt.
When you are looking for that, are you looking for it with the pc-name on the front?
Could you give me a screen shot of your logs folder? Thanks.

#3 13-02-2016 
  • Registered
Hi!

Now I feel stupid :-P Of course it was the wrong folder! Now I have replaced the graphics rules file in \Program Files(X86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Mansion & Gardens\TSData\Res\Config and CSConfig, and I am no longer stuck in low resolution! Thank you :-) But still, now that I have the higher resolution, some of the menus are covering up half of the sim when I am making a new sim. I tried to include a screenshot (twice). Not sure it worked, because I can't see it when I preview my post. Any idea how to fix that? Also, I seem to have a texture problem. The sims looks pixely, even though both my effect detail, sim detalj and texture detalj settings are set to high :-(

Thank you so much for helping me :-D Have a great day!

By the way, I found my log file. My brain must have been temporarily off yesterday. Sorry about that. Here it is :-)
.txt  G-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.1 KB / Downloads: 532)
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2016 11:55 AM by Guinevere.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option