Sims 2 Crashing
#11 14-04-2016 
I suppose high polygon hairs could be the culprit. It will be curious to see if jthompson290 has custom content as well.

I kind of love my content so I'm sure I would take anything out unless I absolutely had to, which I've had to before. I don't go to downtown very much, but I might do it to run an experiment and see if it crashes every time, or if I've just gotten unlucky.

#12 15-04-2016 
@hirikosaunders: I wouldn't want to risk losing any progress because my game crashed at an inconvenient time. Imagine:

If you got violently ill every time you ate mushrooms, does it matter how delicious you think they are? You won't be able to enjoy them, so you stop eating them.
Analogously, if your game crashes, every time a specific hair is used, does it really matter how lovely that hair is? You won't be able to see it used in-game anyway! So why keep it at all?

#13 15-04-2016 
@hirikosaunders @BoilingOil If you have a high polygon hair that you want to use, but don't want your townies etc to use, you can mark it so that it's not townified.

You'd need to look up a tutorial for it - and I'd suggest that regardless of whether you love it or not, you should do testing with it to see just how crashing it is doing in your game.

But then? I'd go looking for a lower poly alternative. There are so many hairs nowadays that there is likely to be a lot of hairs that will be very similiar to the ones you love.

#14 15-04-2016 
@BoilingOil @celebkiriedhel The problem is I have so many it might be there wouldn't be an easy way to find the culprit. I do remember that the last crash there wren't, at lest that I can tell, any custom hairs or clothes. Granted I could have missed it of course. There were quite a few sims there, at least 5 or 6 other than my sim.

If I do happen to notice a hair the next time I get a crash I will certainly either get rid of it or try to keep townies from getting it.

Actually I'm not even sure any of my townies can get custom hair now that I think about it.
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 01:41 PM by hirikosaunders.)

#15 15-04-2016 
@hirikosaunders Yeah - it all depends on whether the hair has been townified or not. A lot of the newer hairs are, but the older hairs aren't. And generally they do say if they have been.

#16 15-04-2016 
I've been playing for years and can't remember seeing one on a townie, but I could be wrong so it definitely is something I will keep my eye on.

#17 16-04-2016 
The point is, that if a custom hair is the problem, it doens't matter if it's a townie wearing it or a playable. You won't *ever* see it, because the game will crash the moment the sim is trying to enter the lot! The game is preparing to render the sim, and then accesses something that it shouldn't, because the hair is too massive to render in the available memory. So the sim isn't even visible yet, and then the system breaks.

*THAT* is why I suggested getting rid of such hairs altogether: you won't get much fun out of them ever. It's like buying the Mona Lisa or the Nightwatch , then wrapping it up and storing it in a vault, never to look at it again! If you're not looking at it, then why even *buy* the thing?

#18 16-04-2016 
@BoilingOil As I said I will my best to try and track it down, but honestly in eight years or so I've collected hundreds of hairs, so there isn't any way to know for sure what hair it is to get rid of, at least not at this point.

I will keep my eyes out as much as I can to see what it is and take it out, but I can't just yet. At least not until I know which one it is.

As for the playable it didn't crash as soon as she got there. She was on the lot for about a sim hour I think.

Again if I find it I will delete it. I just don't have a way to at the moment.

#19 16-04-2016 
Yeah, I know how that is when you have a lot of CC. I've kept it down to a few dozen. And even then, there are a number of them that I seldom use. So that's why I don't hoard. I can't imagine having hundreds.
The same goes for clothing, furniture, building materials (but not Leefish' doors and windows, cuz I can't ever have too many of those), all kinds of clutter... In general, a few pieces to complement the abysmal Maxis collections.

#20 16-04-2016 
@BoilingOil I'm hoping to get some more ram, which should help in the end, but that won't be for months so yeah.

If I knew more about computers I might be able to figure out why I have to 'rest' my comp to play games. I'm guessing some program gets hung up, but I'm not sure which one, or if it is necessary. Oh, and I also have to leave the computer on for about 20 minutes before I start a game. So yeah no idea. Though I'm thinking once again it is some program that takes forever to clear from ram or something. My electronics all like to get quirky on me.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option