Sims 2 Ultimate Collection won't run on my NVIDIA GeForce 820M card
#1 10-05-2016 
  • Registered
Hey,
I recently installed the Ultimate Collection to my Asus Intel Core i5 Notebook. Unfortunately when I try to run the game in "Run as Administrator" on the NVIDIA card, it comes up with the error: "Direct3D returned an error: E_INVALIDARG! The application will now terminate".
I have changed the graphic rules to the NVIDIA graphic rules that can be downloaded on this site, yet I still get the message. Any suggestions on how to get the game working on a NVIDIA GeForce 820M graphics card?

Attached File(s)
.txt  FilmSlayer-config-log.txt (Size: 9.58 KB / Downloads: 507)
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 04:08 PM by FilmSlayer.)

#2 11-05-2016 
@FilmSlayer

NVidia cards have had a problem with running ever since Windows 10.

I believe that this can help: Windows 10 and NVidia Problems

But apart from that - NVidia and Sims 2 have a weird relationship in that it will only load when the smooth edges is at the minimum. You can change it to maximum and it will play fine while you are there, but if you don't return it to minimum before exiting the game, it will get the directx error.

#3 11-05-2016 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel

I forget to mention that this game is running on Windows 8.1, not windows 10. But with what you said, would the solution still work on Windows 8 than Windows 10?

#4 12-05-2016 
@FilmSlayer

Ahhh, Windows 8 is different to Windows 10. It's still probably worthwhile to walk through the fix as it may help.

#5 30-06-2016 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel

I finally fixed the nvidia situation and got it working on it, however I can only do this in fullscreen mode and not in window mode. Is there a way to fix that?
Every time I load it in window mode I get the 3D_Directx error, which causes the game to terminate.

#6 30-06-2016 
@FilmSlayer

Unfortunately, no. Windowed vs Full Screen is a problem I haven't come to the bottom of. It seems to be either one or the other, and I haven't spotted why.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option