(Simple) Translation Help Needed!
#11 05-07-2016 
@NixNivis, the Dutch, as a people, have (or perhaps rather *had*) a reputation for being very good at learning languages and speaking them without an accent! But I always cringe when I hear Dutch politicians address an international community in what they seem to think is perfectly flawless English. They're not even half as good as they think they are.
I have used the English tongue for about 40 years now, and can use it quite proficiently. But I would still not claim that I'm fluent by any stretch of the imagination. Whenever I watch any movie or show on DVD/Blu-ray, in addition to the English-spoken sound-track, if English subtitles are available, I'll select those. And if not, then no subtitles is better than the travesty that is a Dutch translation. The worst that I can imagine, is a movie that has ONLY the option of watching it with Dutch subtitles... Sadly, I have some of those Sad

I hope that @Klaartje will forgive me, but for the Dutch translation, I think "Schommel de wieg" of "Schommel de kribbe" might be good. They mean something like "rock the cradle" or "rock the crib". Still, the stopping phrase gets no better, though. Fun fact: as a noun, the Dutch word "schommel" is what in English is called a "swing".

#12 05-07-2016 
I did install my game in Dutch on my previous PC. I think the reasoning behind that was being worried that something might go wrong if a game was installed in a different language than the OS (hey, I didn't and still don't know a lot about computers Tongue). That quickly became old when trying to help other people, much easier if you're speaking the same Sims-language.
Dutch language education *was* good, until they allowed you to graduate secondary school with two reading exams, one for French and one for German.

You are welcome to improve on my translation, but I think Nix was only looking for the verb "to rock" and not the sentence "to rock a cradle", hence my suggestion of "schommelen". Actually, if I may improve on my own translation and now that I know the object, it might be better to go for "wiegen" (to rock) and "stop met wiegen" (stop rocking). Much better in this context. Schommelen is more appropriate for a rocking chair or a swing, wiegen for rocking your baby to sleep Smile

#13 06-07-2016 
@NixNivis If it's a crib:

[Image: $_57.JPG]

is better "Dondola": when you click on the crib (the "culla", the object) you show the action "Dondola" (for "dondola la culla" - you rock the crib); to stop it you can use "Smetti di dondolare".

Translate is harder than I thought Big Grin

#14 06-07-2016 
(05-07-2016 09:35 PM)Klaartje Wrote:  You are welcome to improve on my translation, but I think Nix was only looking for the verb "to rock" and not the sentence "to rock a cradle", hence my suggestion of "schommelen". Actually, if I may improve on my own translation and now that I know the object, it might be better to go for "wiegen" (to rock) and "stop met wiegen" (stop rocking). Much better in this context. Schommelen is more appropriate for a rocking chair or a swing, wiegen for rocking your baby to sleep Smile

"Wiegen"... I can totally find myself in that! It's much better. Big Grin

#15 07-07-2016 
@BoilingOil and @Klaartje, thanks! Glad the two of you agree, not sure what I would have done otherwise. Wink

Hmm... does either (or both) of you know German? Or is familiar enough with it that you can tell if "wiegen" would be a good choice in German as well? (All I remember of my high school German is an, auf, hinter, in... Tongue And you're closer to Germany than I am, both geographically and linguistically.) 'Cause when I googled around (not with Google Translate, but going to different translation sites), I got "wiegen" as a suggestion for "rock a baby" in German.

@noiredeb, great, thanks! Big Grin And I agree completely, translating is hard - nuances like this especially. I'm very lucky to have a school of babel fish to help me out. Wink

#16 07-07-2016 
I *do* "know" a little about German, but it's fragmented: "lesen und verstehen" are ok, but "schreiben und sprechen" are not. And my German vocabulary smells of dead animals. You should not trust anything I say in "German".

However, it is possible that "wiegen" works there. I can't be certain, though.

#17 07-07-2016 
  • Registered
If you'd like to have a Russian pie menu as well, here are the translations:

"Качать (колыбель)" - "Rock (the cradle)"
"Прекратить качать (колыбель)" - "Stop rocking (the cradle)"

Cheers! Glad to be helpful )

#18 07-07-2016 
  • Registered
Hello! If you like to have a Spanish translation for the Pie Menu
"Mecer la cuna" = Rock the craddle / crib
"Parar de mecer la cuna" = Stop rocking the craddle/crib.
Hope this is helpful

#19 07-07-2016 
@BoilingOil, LOL, noted. Smile Written German, I can usually get the gist of (same goes for Dutch), but with spoken German, I only get some words here and there. And speaking it... no. Absolutely not. Other than "sprechen Sie Englisch?" and "Ich spreche nicht Deutsch," that is. Wink

@Jeremine and @King_Deadly, I'd absolutely like Russian and Spanish translations! Big Grin Thank you both very much for helping!

#20 07-07-2016 
I sent them your way, Nix Wink You're welcome Tongue

Since I myself don't speak anything but English, I figured that was how I could help, lol.

Sorry, that is a members only option