Where are you from?
#41 28-08-2016 
(27-08-2016 09:20 PM)PenelopeT Wrote:  ...Time to brush up on my French and German just in case.
I agree! I've always wanted to learn Gaelic - maybe I'll finally get to live in the Hebrides?

#42 28-08-2016 
I'll hop on the American train - Arkansas.

In a quick nutshell - you know how the Southern United States has several particular stereotypes?

They all apply here. All of them. And then we don't do them even halfway, we're kinda give up and just remain the forgotten state in the South. Both a good and terrible thing.

All we're known for is Walmart and...That's kinda it?

#43 28-08-2016 
@poisson, while I know I'm not part of the problem, it does not make me feel any better. We really just have terrible choices this year and honestly have for quite some time. Both of the major parties have brought very little to the table in recent years, nor do they seem to be in any hurry to rectify the situation. Though, when you can say anything, do anything, run unchecked and still get elected...why bother trying to improve.

@BoilingOil, it's just very frustrating is all. It is as if logic currently has no place in the U.S., really. I'm from and typically in an upper middle to upper class environment, and have such a hard time being around well educated people who are somehow finding any positives in this election; I'm not the only one. This election is dividing family, friends, colleagues and neighbors unlike anything I've seen in my 40+ years. Sad, just sad.

@CatherineTCJD, my husband and I had been joking earlier this year about what country we should relocate to, but as the year has gone on we've started getting a little more serious with the discussion.

#44 29-08-2016 
(28-08-2016 06:47 AM)OracleTicTac Wrote:  I'll hop on the American train - Arkansas.

In a quick nutshell - you know how the Southern United States has several particular stereotypes?

They all apply here. All of them. And then we don't do them even halfway, we're kinda give up and just remain the forgotten state in the South. Both a good and terrible thing.

All we're known for is Walmart and...That's kinda it?

Don't forget Murphy Oil as well ! Con Agra is a big part in your state as well I think but as I am from northeast Georgia I know Con Agra all too well (our area is billed poultry capital of the WORLD). I think the only thing we might have more of than chickens might be catfish but some other state got to claim that one LOL. I know we are classified the peach state but I don't have an exclusive peach orchard within 25 miles of where I live but do have 10 poultry farms within 2 miles of where I live. There have been some great people come out of Arkansas.

#45 31-08-2016 
We have Tyson Chicken, Wal-Mart, Daisy BB Gun (the Red Ryder BB guns you hear of so much in 1950s media), J.B. Hunt trucking (we have either no or few toll roads), Murphy Oil, and a metric ton of rice...like...a lot of rice...

But, the vast majority of those and other companies that y'know, bring in money, are all up near Bentonville/Fayetteville, close to Wal-Mart's HQ, so most of, if not all, of the state's economic growth is up in the northwestern part of the state. The rest of the state, sans central Arkansas (ie; near Little Rock), is on the sliding scale of dirt-poor to has a snowball's chance of not-being-poor-in-the-relative-near-future. The Delta close to the Mississippi has historically been poor, the closer you get to the water, the worse it gets.

Example: Our ahem lovely Governor appointed a new superintendent for Little Rock School District. Said appointment was a clear, blatant political move and gave his buddy a cushy job or good PR or something, except the former superintendent who wound up fixing the district as best as he could, y'know, was a chill, good guy. This new guy came directly from the flush-with-moolah northwest part of the state, only he specifically informed the news that he would not be bringing all that corporate funding with him. Tyson and Wal-Mart have a TON of money in schools up there, which is great...but everyone wants it all over the state, not JUST in one part. The economic disparity is horrible.

And I too feel you pain about the stink the chicken farms bring! Especially those dang trucks! Worse on a hot day and the breeze is just right... X_X

#46 31-08-2016 
@OracleTicTac , my cousins live in Smackover, Arkansas. As we have Fieldale here in our lovely county which is also Springer Mountain Farms and also Springer mountain Farms water, Con Agra, Tyson and few other smaller chicken companies yeah, you and I know each others situation quite well. The smell well I can't say much except the founder for Fieldale said to take it in and remember exactly what the smell of money is. I'm sure he was referring to his own money though.

Sorry, that is a members only option