Where are you from?
#21 13-08-2016 
I am from Italy..unfortunately

#22 13-08-2016 
I know I have an accent when I speak Swedish; as soon as I say a word with the letter "ä" in it, everybody can tell I'm from Stockholm. Wink And when I speak English, it's BrEng, but with a fairly strong Scandinavian accent. (Back when I was getting my BA the Scandinavian part used to be weak enough that I could fool Americans - but never Brits, of course - but it's grown stronger over the years. Been a long time since I spoke English with a Brit IRL.) So definitely no "unaccented English" here. Smile

#23 13-08-2016 
Australian - living in Melbourne Australia now although I've lived in New South Wales and Tasmania, also I've lived in England, Ireland, and Malaysia during my life as well.

I currently have an Australian accent, but it is a Tasmanian Australian accent, so less drawl and shorter vowels.

eg.

Launceston.
Most of mainland australia says Lawn-sess-ton. Tasmanians say Lon-sess-ton.

I tend to take on the accent of the country I'm living in.

#24 14-08-2016 
@Kiri: And most often, it's only the native English speakers that hear the difference in pronunciation, I bet. Most foreigners won't have a clue that there is a difference. I would probably pronounce it more like the British, so you'd hardly notice the 'e', making it sound like "Lawns'ston". Just like "Worcester sauce" is pronounced "Wirster sauce" Smile

#25 14-08-2016 
That's true BO, although I do know that non-english speaking foreigners can tell a broad australian accent from an American or British, it's just the nuances that are local. Which is also true of foreign accents I guess - while I can pick accents in English - I have no idea with French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, etc.

Although I can tell the difference between French as spoken by a Canadian, and as spoken by a Frenchman. But I think that's because it's so different.

#26 14-08-2016 
LOL! I learned French (3 years in HS) from a Canadian - straight A's - won lots of 'superior' blue ribbons in competitions, etc. When I got to Uni, I went for an "easy A" semester in French 101, I got a huge surprise! Slap
I think I scraped out a C... not. fun. at. all.

Where am I from? Well... My heart is from the Highlands of Scotland *sigh* My mom swears I have German in me too - but I know I'm all Scotch (Macallan's 18yr - oh, yeah!) Wink
...however, sadly, I have never left America. I'm originally from Seattle, WA (I absolutely LOVE the rain!) Against my will I was dragged, kickin' and screamin' the whole way to Florida, when I was 8. And I've been here ever since (I just turned 50.) Well, except for four years in Kentucky - just S of Lexington - while hubster got his Master of Divinity (Theology.) Then, the UMChurch sent us all over Northern Florida. I am so sick of moving! We retired early, and now live behind Cindy's Castle in Central Florida.
...And hubster has happily traded his clerical robes for mouse ears Celebrate
(This post was last modified: 14-08-2016 07:03 PM by CatherineTCJD.)

#27 14-08-2016 
Well, Quebecois French (spoken in Quebec, Canada) is sort of an antiquated French that evolved separately from French French. Early French settlers in Quebec were influenced by English settlers and aboriginal people, and cut off from Europe, and so the language evolved accordingly. Quebec is unique though. The rest of Canada is mainly English speaking and we learn French French in school. In fact, one of my French teachers was Romanian, of all things. So I'm sure she would've learned French French in Romania.

#28 15-08-2016 
I speak french too (the french french one). And quite well. It's easier for me because I'm french too Wink
I live far away from France and its cold weather though (and so happy about that), somewhere in the french west indies.

Quote:From Italian (50%), German (25%) and Irish (25%) origins, I live in the North-East of France.

Poisson, I though you were french. Slap

#29 16-08-2016 
I had also pegged him for a frenchman. Maybe someone should color me stupid and question my parentage. Tongue

#30 16-08-2016 
(16-08-2016 05:55 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  I had also pegged him for a frenchman. Maybe someone should color me stupid and question my parentage. Tongue
Consider yourself colored! Tongue J/K.

Sorry, that is a members only option