New to this Wonderful Site!!!!
#21 31-08-2016 
(30-08-2016 09:49 PM)Kishtar Wrote:  I Lived in Houston,TX when I was a little girl. My mother worked for Shell and we transferred to there. I thought it was so amazing one Christmas Eve we had like 78 degree weather then on Christmas Day there was almost a half inch of snow, granted it lasted about 2-3 hours max but it happened LOL back 1980/1981. Yes when it rains there good Lord at the water you feel like you are more in a boat than a car. But then I've seen the weird weather of Denver, Colorado as well get off the plane and everything's wonderful. Wake up and everything white. Georgia's clime in the southern part can support some citrus, banana, olive and avocados and have thought of moving down there( yes I'm a small self sustaining type farm girl) and also thought of moving back to Texas but then there is the Blue Ridge at my back door with Savannah 1 1/2 hours away Charleston, S.C. that same distance north of me and Atlanta 45 minutes away and still live rural not to mention if I want to go camping, hunting or fishing it's in my backyard. If only I could combine Texas and Georgia I would probably never venture out of my neck of the woods.
As I'm a "Farm boy" myself, I can certainly concur! I'm partially off-grid myself, and next year, hopefully going solar. I live in rural Texas. I also have spent lots of time, all over the south. Something I noticed when I moved here, are the wild guavas! WONDERFUL! Smile. I harvest acorns, pecans, guava, Texas persimmons, pomegranates, greens, eastern persimmons, and lots of other delicious edibles. I make wine, and preserves with the Texas persimmons, and a nice trail mix with pecans, acorns, and eastern persimmons. Can't beat the weather here for gathering wild edibles!

As far as snow goes, I think the only reason we haven't gotten any, is as I said.... Winter is the dry season here. Snow in Houston?!? Didn't think Houston ever got snow.

Blue ridge mountains are gorgeous! I grew up in Appalachia (KY. VA. TN. W.VA, So OH area), just a little north of Georgia. Most beautiful place ever!

I'm at home any place in the south.Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option