New to this Wonderful Site!!!!
#11 24-08-2016 
(24-08-2016 04:12 PM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  Howdy! From Central Florida Wink
Welcome to the pond ~ the water is always nice.
Are you a crabby-Cancer? (Me too) Happy belated birthday!

Yes I'm a non crabby-Cancer. Thank you for the birthday wishes and a Happy Birthday to you as well!!!!!!

#12 24-08-2016 
Welcome to Leefish, Kishtar! Big Grin This is a very nice place, the fish are friendly and the water is nice and warm.

Me, I hail from more northerly climes - I'm from Sweden. I'd probably melt into a puddle and vaporise in Georgia. Wink

#13 29-08-2016 
(24-08-2016 07:19 PM)NixNivis Wrote:  Welcome to Leefish, Kishtar! Big Grin This is a very nice place, the fish are friendly and the water is nice and warm.

Me, I hail from more northerly climes - I'm from Sweden. I'd probably melt into a puddle and vaporise in Georgia. Wink

I do so I'm pretty sure you'd have issues just getting off the plane as our winters are pretty mind. We average around 5 degrees Celsius here during our winters with an occasional 2 to 5 centimeters of snow a year. We have more ice storms and hard freezes than actual snow. Yet still too cold to be able to grow any avocados, bananas or olive trees without a greenhouse.

#14 30-08-2016 
Welcome. I never knew it snowed in Georgia, I thought it was hot pretty much all year round

#15 30-08-2016 
Lee, apart from the southern tip of Florida and the state of Hawaii, the rest of the USA is not tropical at all, even Georgia. Hence the possibility of snowy precipitation. *poisson, when in climatologist mode* Big Grin Tongue xD

But indeed, Georgia must feel quite warm throughout the year (especially for us, inhabitants of northern Europe), even in winter, despite getting a few short chilly periods.

#16 30-08-2016 
@Kishtar where I am (Stockholm, so on the east coast and central-ish), it's not that unusual for us to get mild winters like that (like last year, when it was 7 C on Christmas Eve - the same temperature as on Midsummer's Eve. Confused That's not quite how it's supposed to be, though; we're supposed to have, you know, seasons). Of course, it's also not unusual for us to get winters when it's -15 C. Tongue But no ice storms (thankfully), it's either snow or rain.

@leefish when I think of the southern US states, I also think of scorching heat all year 'round. Georgia and snow doesn't compute in my head. Slap (And yet I get Very Annoyed when someone from the US thinks we have snow up to the waist all year and polar bears in the streets. Hi, Pot, I'm Kettle. Rolleyes )

#17 30-08-2016 
@NixNivis I wasn't thinking waist high (now the image runs rampant). However, I was thinking a colder clime with longer snow days than we would ever get unless a super blizzard came through. We did have it pretty mild this past winter so we paid for it this summer with about 37-37.7C most spring and summer and about 54-56% humidity. I prefer the dry heat of our western states (Texas) to our humid ones. Example..... You take a shower, dry off, and you are sweaty wet like you never took a shower as soon as you leave the bathroom. That's what summers are like here and we're actually in the foothills so it's cooler here than the other parts of Georgia.

#18 30-08-2016 
(30-08-2016 08:06 PM)Kishtar Wrote:  @NixNivis I wasn't thinking waist high (now the image runs rampant). However, I was thinking a colder clime with longer snow days than we would ever get unless a super blizzard came through. We did have it pretty mild this past winter so we paid for it this summer with about 37-37.7C most spring and summer and about 54-56% humidity. I prefer the dry heat of our western states (Texas) to our humid ones. Example..... You take a shower, dry off, and you are sweaty wet like you never took a shower as soon as you leave the bathroom. That's what summers are like here and we're actually in the foothills so it's cooler here than the other parts of Georgia.
I live not too far from Austin Texas. After living here for four years, and getting to know folks, as far as anyone can remember, even the old folks, it has NEVER snowed here. Yes, on occasion, it gets cold enough (30 degrees f, or for the rest of the world, 0 degrees c), winter, however is our dry season. Winter is actually only a couple weeks long most of the time. Georgia, on the other hand, has a much milder climate than where I live.

I HAVE had to run my A/C in January a few times. Most years, you can wear shorts all winter. Some winters, not many, require heavier clothing. It does surprise me that in some places in Europe, they have mild winters, due to Gulf stream. After all, Europe is pretty far north.

I can tell by the flora and fauna of a place, what the climate classification is. This past winter was so mild, we were overrun by rattlesnakes, scorpions, and tarantulas. I found several Coral snakes, and cottonmouths, and the 'Gators in Lake Travis, were out early. My youngest daughter (just graduated Army boot camp) was stung on the arm by a bark scorpion in February this year. Never really heard her use foul language before, but the level of profanity she used after being woke up at 03:30 from a scorpion sting, was pretty shocking!

As far as humidity goes, that depends on your location in Texas. West of Midland/Odessa area, it gets dry. Austin is actually quite humid like the other Southeastern states. Further east you go, the more humidity. In my area, we have Alligators, Cottonmouths, and Coral snakes. All require pretty mild to warm winters, and humidity to survive.

We were at a steady 40-42 degrees C ( 104-110 degrees F) most of the summer, and between 75-85 % humidity, as it rained a lot. Sweltering!

The closest that snow has ever been to here, is Lampasas, about 50 miles north of here, and that was just a dusting, that wasn't more than a powder that disappeared when the sun came up.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2016 09:06 PM by Kunder.)

#19 30-08-2016 
(30-08-2016 01:35 PM)poisson Wrote:  Lee, apart from the southern tip of Florida and the state of Hawaii, the rest of the USA is not tropical at all, even Georgia. Hence the possibility of snowy precipitation. *poisson, when in climatologist mode* Big Grin Tongue xD

But indeed, Georgia must feel quite warm throughout the year (especially for us, inhabitants of northern Europe), even in winter, despite getting a few short chilly periods.
Actually, the only place in the 50 states, that is technically "tropical" is Hawaii. However, a very large swath is considered sub-tropical. From Cincinnati Ohio in the north, to Key West in Florida, and Brownsville, at the southern tip of Texas, to about 50 miles west of San Angelo, Texas.

we have weird weather here. For example, Cincinnati Ohio, has about the same climate as norther Georgia, except for one, or two months out of the year (most of the time.). My parents live 50 miles east of Cincinnati Ohio, six miles north of the Ohio river. My dad has peaches, persimmons, and pecan trees, although not many pecans. His neighbor lives a half mile away, and has a Southern Magnolia tree in his back yard. Tobacco is also grown there on many farms. Yet another "sub-tropical" plant. Go 15-20 miles north of there, none of that will grow. It gets too cold.

Our weather is regulated mostly by the jet stream, which 90% of the time runs between Cincinnati, Ohio, and Dayton Ohio, just north of there. Cincinnati is a bit warmer, even in winter, than Dayton. This is where the continental climate, meets the sub-tropical climate. It is where the cold air from Canada, meets the warm, humid air from the Gulf of Mexico, which is the reason, that area is prone to some REALLY bad tornadoes. Southern Ohio/Northern Kentucky, Southern Indiana, have VERY intense thunderstorms.

#20 30-08-2016 
I Lived in Houston,TX when I was a little girl. My mother worked for Shell and we transferred to there. I thought it was so amazing one Christmas Eve we had like 78 degree weather then on Christmas Day there was almost a half inch of snow, granted it lasted about 2-3 hours max but it happened LOL back 1980/1981. Yes when it rains there good Lord at the water you feel like you are more in a boat than a car. But then I've seen the weird weather of Denver, Colorado as well get off the plane and everything's wonderful. Wake up and everything white. Georgia's clime in the southern part can support some citrus, banana, olive and avocados and have thought of moving down there( yes I'm a small self sustaining type farm girl) and also thought of moving back to Texas but then there is the Blue Ridge at my back door with Savannah 1 1/2 hours away Charleston, S.C. that same distance north of me and Atlanta 45 minutes away and still live rural not to mention if I want to go camping, hunting or fishing it's in my backyard. If only I could combine Texas and Georgia I would probably never venture out of my neck of the woods.

Sorry, that is a members only option