The Sims Life Stories Direct X problem
#1 04-11-2016 
  • Registered
Hi all! I'm new here and registered here because I have a problem and can't find a solution after digging through various sites and forums, including this one that I found really friendly so I decided to post here. Smile
I recently bought The Sims Life Stories and can't run it Sad It installed without any problems but won't launch because I get an error "Direct3D returned an error: E_INVALIDARG! The application will now terminate." I don't know what to do. I often play The Sims 2 as it works perfectly fine with all the expansion packs so it's weird that Life Stories won't work. I have Windows 10 and 2 graphic cards: Intel Graphics Family and AMD Radeon. I tried almost everything:
- I updated ALL the drivers on my computer
- I installed Direct X 9 (although not sure if properly)
- tried to launch it in different compatibility modes and as administrator
- tried to launch it in a windowed mode.
All attempts failed Glare I wanted to try and use Graphic Ruler Maker but I guess it works only for Sims 2?
PLEASE help me! I'm really desperate to play this game and I don't know what is the problem. HuhHuhHuh

#2 04-11-2016 
yeah, Graphic Rules Maker only works for Sims 2.

I don't currently have Life Stories installed on my computer, so I need for you to do me a favour -

In the folder system:

\Program Files(x86)\EA\The Life Stories\

I'm pretty sure that what comes next is Bin, Res and Data. Could you do a screenshot of the contents of the Bin folder?

Life Stories has a graphic Rules.sgr and video cards.sgr same as Sims 2, but it's in the Life Stories section. What we're going to do, is find where the graphic rules.sgr and video cards.sgr is.

Then you're going to send those two files to me. I'm going to have a look at them and see if they're fixable the same as Sims 2. If they are, I'm going to make a general fix, and then see if I can make a more specific fix to fix the lot.

Also do you have Sims 2 installed on your PC? If you do, then if you can locate -config-log.txt in the log folder and upload that for me to look at, it will give me technical information about your pc.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option