Pretend stairs -- not sure where to start
#11 21-11-2016 
Its the cloning process BO Smile When you clone an object the EPs you have set define the object as requiring it, its probably a cloning issue, rather than how EA made it. For example, my first ever window I cloned was a base game window, but I cloned it with EP packs active. Result, it did not show in a base game setup.

#12 21-11-2016 
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

#13 21-11-2016 
I should've clarified -- but yes, that was exactly my question. Compatibility. Is there a way to make it compatible with BG, or at least compatible with BG + 1 EP (but not a specific one) ? I couldn't find Base Game rugs, but I may be wrong.

It's getting there, by the way! I've fixed the shadows, which was trickier than I thought it would be. I'm now working on replacing the thumbnail. Wish me luck.

The poor Dreamers have been going up and down the stairs all week-end.

(20-11-2016 06:20 PM)leefish Wrote:  Ikea, yea, should really have used a NightLife rug. You could use Echos, but that is a big rug.
Ah, missed that bit. Why Nightlife, out of curiosity?
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2016 08:47 PM by Raindrop.)

#14 21-11-2016 
Because nightlife is the second EP and it is part of double deluxe, a lot of people have that. There are no base rugs except echo's rug.

#15 21-11-2016 
Yes, there is a way of making the final object compatible with BG and 1 EP/SP max. Before you make the actual clone, you would have to make sure that SimPE *only* loads BG and the one pack that contains the object you want to clone. In SimPE's settings, you would need to (temporarily) disable all the packs that you do not require.

Of course, it would then be best to clone an object that exists in a BG-only game, because then no other packs at all are required. But I suppose you had already understood that part. Big Grin

(EDIT: Leefish beat me to it... Smile)

#16 21-11-2016 
Right, I'll definitely stick it onto a NL rug (and NL only, with every other pack disabled -- I understand how to do that, so at least *this* isn't something new, pfiuu). More compatibility is good. Expect some follow-up with another disaster tomorrow. Confused

Seriously, this is so exciting, though! I've made something I wanted, and it works. I know how to mesh and stuff (I occasionally create bits and pieces for Second Life), but this is different -- it's not quite coding, but almost. It's such a wowwwwww feeling!

#17 24-11-2016 
YAY, Disaster! Rofl

After having successfully made a fake staircase requiring all EPs, I thought redoing it with NL only would be a walk in the park. Not so. So very much not so.

I don't know where I went wrong. I cloned the "Thirsty" bath mat and the Stare Steppers with only CEP, Original and Nightlife enabled in preferences, with the default Object Workshop options. Strangely enough, I didn't manage to get the shapes, gmdc, gmnd and cres out of the clones, no matter which options I chose.

As I needed these, I cloned the staircase again with all the EPs and extracted the files I needed from this package.

I imported the mesh into the clone, then slaved it to the BG staircase (except for the shadows).

I updated the catalogue, categories, gave it a new GUID, etc.

Finally, I swapped the thumbnails.

This last part works fine; unfortunately nothing else works! Basically, my NL stairs show in the catalogue, but I can't, uh, rez them (for lack of a better word? I.E I can't drag them out of the catalogue and use them). So what I have is a pretty, but useless, thumbnail. And that's it.

Meanwhile the AllEPs version works fine. I'm honestly not sure where I went wrong.

One thing I noticed is that the SVENJE rug has three OBJD entries; the Thirsty bath mat only has one. But I can't see how that would influence this or that...

Would someone be happy to don a hazmat suit and poke at these two packages while they're warm? They're clearly labelled; the first one requires all EPs, the second only requires NL (and is completely borked) (at least the thumbnail is pretty).

http://www.simfileshare.net/download/140779/

Thanks in advance!

#18 26-11-2016 
When you were unchecking EPs, you must have unchecked the Graphics box. That's why the clone was missing some parts.

#19 26-11-2016 
You're right, I unchecked Graphics -- that's good to know!

#20 27-11-2016 
I'm really such a dummy! I think I know where I went wrong. I basically slaved my stairs to an object that doesn't exist anymore. Oops? I'm having another stab at it.

Sorry, that is a members only option