Crashing-A Series of Unfortunate Events
#11 25-11-2016 
@NixNivis I was right-clicking on the .exe file in the Program Files. If I click Advanced... I see this:

[Image: WfRALvB.png]

I must be doing something wrong. I'm going here: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe

#12 25-11-2016 
@gfitz that's weird - like I said, your screenshots look what I get when I right-click on a shortcut. Huh If you're in Program Files, then you're in the right place and clicking on the right thing, so you're not doing anything wrong. It's Win 10 that's being... well, Win 10. Undecided

What if you right-click on the Sims on the Start menu, what do you see then? Do you have a "run as administrator" option under More, or do you just get pin to start and uninstall?

(I need to see if I can temporarily install Gadwin or something on the Win 10 computer, so you can see what I see; problem is it's not mine, I'm just computer-sitting it, and like I said, it speaks Swedish - but then again so do I, so I could translate for you...)

#13 25-11-2016 
@NixNivis I wonder if it is because I use a no-DVD crack to launch my game. If I go to the game from the start menu I do have run as administrator but it starts the game from the sims2launcher which is not my crack. It prompts for the CD.

This shot is what I think I am supposed to be seeing and this is what I get if I follow properties on the shortcut from Start Menu
[Image: XwZN3TV.png]

I followed the shortcut and it takes me here
[Image: 1m977GE.png]

#14 26-11-2016 
@gfitz @NixNivis

For some reason, Windows 10 and Sims 2 isn't the same on different computers. You're not doing anything wrong gfitz, it's just different. Fansee actually does get the compatibility tab for Sims 2 sometimes.
Nix - I would be very keen to see the screenshots from your computer that you are babysitting.

We can change your shortcut to point to the right place for your game - it's just a simple thing of changing 'sims2launcher.exe' to sims2ep99.exe in the target field of the shortcut.
Try setting up your shortcut to admin, and compatibility as well.

#15 26-11-2016 
@celebkiriedhel
(26-11-2016 01:35 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  We can change your shortcut to point to the right place for your game - it's just a simple thing of changing 'sims2launcher.exe' to sims2ep99.exe in the target field of the shortcut.
Try setting up your shortcut to admin, and compatibility as well.

Wasn't the purpose of the no-dvd crack to avoid using the sims2launcher? If I rename it, won't I need my DVD in that case? I'm not usually this dumb when dealing with windows issues but I don't even know where my disks are right now. If my crack was supposed to replace the launcher, I didn't know. Sorry, still confused and having a bout of vertigo isn't helping my brain functions today.

ETA: I reread your comment and think I get it now. sorry... Blush

#16 26-11-2016 
@gfitz yes, that's indeed what you're supposed to be seeing. Smile That's good; then we know that you (and others) do have the means run your game as administrator, you just set it from a different place (and then change the shortcut if necessary).

But I think you might be onto something with the no-CD crack. @celebkiriedhel, do we know if @fanseelamb runs her game from disc? Because I have a theory. Like I said on the other page, the four-tab window gfitz got when she clicked her Sims2EP9.exe looks just like what I get if I click on a desktop shortcut - that's why I thought she was clicking the wrong thing at first. Since she can get the six-tab version (with the all-important Compatibility tab) when she goes to the game from the Start menu, it's obviously not just that Win 10 is testy in general and doesn't deem TS2 worthy of a Compatibility tab. Which makes me wonder if it might be considering the no-cd crack exe to be a shortcut rather than a program file, and treats it accordingly - i.e. gives you the pared down, four-tab Properties window w/o a Compatibility tab. That might explain why some people on Win 10 get the Compatibility-tab Properties window, and others don't: The ones who don't, like gfitz, are using a no-cd crack, and the ones who do run the game from disc.

But it's just a theory, and all I have to base it on right now is the different behaviours of gfitz' computer and the one I'm babysitting. You're the programmer - you tell me if it sounds like targ manure to you. Smile

I'll see what I can do about getting you some nice Win 10 screenshots. And a crash course in Swedish. Wink

#17 26-11-2016 
@gfitz

Cool, cool. Once the shortcut has Sims2ep99.exe in it, the websites I've been reading suggest that changing it on the shortcut in the start menu will work for the program as well... It's worth a test out anyway. Smile

@NixNivis

The missing compatibility tab apparently has been happening since Windows 8 - Microsloth say they didn't change anything but we know that ain't true. I've been trying to find a place where it says why it doesn't show, but am not finding the answer as yet.

Windows 7 appears to be the last time it showed up for every program.

I'm ready for my crash course in Swedish. Tak!
Btw - it's not the speed that kills, its the smell. Big Grin

#18 26-11-2016 
Hrm. I do use a no-CD crack to start the game without a disc. Have done a bit of investigating and it seems @NixNivis is onto something.

I looked at a few different exe files. The compatibility tab is indeed missing on the no-CD crack files. Other exe files all seem to have a compatibility tab.

I've only actually used compatibility mode to install the game, not to run it. So it was the original AutoRun.exe files on the CDs which were displaying the compatibility tab for me during installation.

#19 27-11-2016 
@fanseelamb so maybe my theory isn't complete targ manure after all. Interesting! Thanks for the input. Smile

@celebkiriedhel haven't got around to getting Gadwin or the like on the Win 10 computer yet, I've been busy with finishing my Fishmas gifts, but I'll PM you with some screenshots once I've got it up and running.

#20 28-11-2016 
NO Worries Nix, in your own time.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option