Crashing-A Series of Unfortunate Events
#21 29-11-2016 
@fanseelamb @NixNivis @celebkiriedhel thank you all for looking into this. I have not been feeling well (vertigo) and haven't been able to make the changes I wanted to but when I do launch the game, I am prompted to run it as administrator (I think) or at least I am asked to let it run. At work so I can't double check but I will try and do so tonight when I get home.

Again, thank you all so much for helping with this. It really means a lot to me that someone is willing to assist. Heart

#22 30-11-2016 
@gfitz

Absolutely no worries Hun, I know what it's like to be dealing with illness - absolutely happy to go at your pace.

#23 03-12-2016 
@celebkiriedhel OK. I think I managed to point the shortcut in the start menu (which I wasn't using before since I had a shortcut in my taskbar that launched my game - but I digress) to the No-DVD crack and set the compatibility to windows 8 (?) and to run as administrator. Game launches without CD/DVD. Went back to change the shortcut to open in windowed mode (because I can't take full screen screenshots - it only captures my desktop) and the compatibility mode option is gone again. So this must be an issue with the crack. Otherwise, I am ready for the next phase in Operation Fix gfitz's Crashing Issue. Shy

#24 05-12-2016 
@gfitz

Coolness.

So at this point, we have all the fixes in, and we have a game that goes well, and with no problems on a vanilla hood.

Do you have lots of space on your hard drive? If you do - I've got a next step for you.

To start with I want you to take a copy of your downloads folder and put it into our test hood (that so far has been vanilla).
What we're going to do with this, is clear down and fix as many things as we can and see if we can keep the downloads, without losing the functionality of the game.

And I want you to run the decrudulator against it.

You can get the decrudulator from here - http://sims.shanegowland.com/sims-2-fold...rudulator/
Let me know how many files it found.

Basically what the decrudulator does is remove all the pictures, textfiles and assorted ephemera that can slow the game down because every file that's in the download folder is loaded into ram, even if it doesn't use them in the game.

Because this is a copy of your downloads file - it's going clean out the copy, but nothing will be lost because that's all in your original folder.

After you've done that - I want you to go into the test game, and see if there is crashing, see if there's lag, and see if there's any other anomalies which shows up because of the CC.

#25 06-12-2016 
@celebkiriedhel

Decrudulator...that is funny. I wondered whether images, text files, and disabled packages made a difference but no one could answer me. Good to know. I will make a copy of the downloads and test this out tonight. I feel like we are getting closer and am so happy!! Again I can't thank you and everyone else enough.

@celebkiriedhel
ETA: The decrudulator found 888 files. I looked through the list and it found some .bak files i didn't know I had. I also wonder, do disabled files also load into memory? It did not find any of them and I am sure I have quite a few.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 03:31 AM by gfitz.)

#26 10-12-2016 
@gfitz

That's a goodly amount of files - yeah, disabled files are loaded in there as well. If you can remove them that would be good.

#27 11-12-2016 
@celebkiriedhel

sorry for the delay in response... I loaded my game, got the Custom Content dialog, enabled it (or whatever the choice was), and loaded my inhabited lot. Since the CC didn't show up, I quit and ran it again. Loaded the empty lot and as soon as I clicked the Decorative catalog the game crashed. I haven't removed the disabled packages yet but I am not sure that will matter.

#28 12-12-2016 
@gfitz

I'd still take out your disabled CC - that's not a crashing problem to take it out - that's a lagging problem to take it out.

When you were in your inhabited lot - was there lagging?

OK. So what we do know is that it is CC related.
It could be too much. Or it could be some dud CC.
It's relatively easy to test that. Depending on how organised your CC is.

So step 1.
Delete your caches, and go into your thumbnail folder, and delete them as well.
Record the number and size of your downloads folder (That's just the info from the properties).

Step 2
Take out all your skin related CC.
Record the number and size of your downloads folder again - this is for comparison.

Step 3.
Go back into your game
And then go back into your inhabited lot. And try to open up a catalog.

If it doesn't crash - then it's a size thing. The reason why we take out all the skin related CC is because it won't exclude anything in the build/buy mode so that way we're not getting the corrupt CC/too much CC problem overlapping.

When you do it - please let me know what the recorded values of your downloads folder are before and after Skin CC.

#29 24-12-2016 
@celebkiriedhel
Sorry for the delay in response again Confused. There is/was no lag in the lot.

Deleted caches and thumbnails. Downloads folder size is 14.4GB (51,683 files).

Moved anything that was not Build/Buy in the downloads to my desktop. Downloads folder size is 9.46GB (42,144 files)

I loaded the game and went to the inhabited lot. Clicked on the Buy catalog and then the Decorative catalog and the game crashed.

#30 24-12-2016 
OK. Good news! It's some dud CC. Leave out the skins, because that will keep the load time shorter.

Do you have "Delphy's Download Organiser"? If you don't - then click on the link and install it.

It will take a long time to scan - for that size folder - probably a few minutes at least (maybe up to 5-10 minutes).

Once it's done though - you can use it to split your downloads up into it's categories. Because it's falling over in the Decorative Category - lets start with that one first.

So once it's scanned your Downloads folder, there's a filter option at the bottom of the window - have a look at that, and filter for ObjectDecorative - that will list everything that is categorised as Decorative.

If we assume that your problem CC is in that category the what we can do is two fold testing.

Step 1: Make sure that the non-decor CC is ok

1. Filter all the Decor category, then select them all, right click and select "Move to Folders". It will give you a couple of choices - always choose the 2nd choice (the one below OR) and make yourself a folder outside of the game with a name that says Decor.

2. Go into the game and see if it crashes.

If it does - pick another category to filter, move it to a folder outside of the game and repeat until either - (a) stops crashing or (b) you run out of folders.

If (a) then you know that what's left is ok - move what's left and is OK outside of the game in a folder labelled 'Safe' or 'OK' or something like that.
If (b) then you know that the last folder has something corrupt in it. Put that in a folder outside of the game labelled 'Not OK' or 'Broken' or something like that.

Step 2: Find the Broken CC
The likelihood is that you're going to have a few pieces rather than just one. You know the 50-50 method for finding bad CC?

That's what you need to do - but only on the categories that have turned up with something wrong.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option