Stack object attributes
#21 03-01-2017 
Tjaba tjena hallå! You rule Nix! You always have such easy answers to things. I'll take a look at the OMSP as well, always good learning how to do variations of the same thing. I believe dummies covered everything I needed to know for this project though, now that I know it only affects the one object. All that's missing is my pc so I can get to work on this. Is it Friday yet? Big Grin

Hope you aren't snowed in over there, I hear it's rather nuts. Seems this winter is determined to dump a months worth of snow in one day Tongue

#22 04-01-2017 
Tjenaleget? And yay! Glad I could help! Celebrate I have a confession to make, though: If I have easy answers, it's because I'm something of a lazy modder. Blush I like to keep things as simple as possible, I don't feel the need to make things absurdly complicated just to show others who's got the biggest d... ownloads folder. Tongue (Also, I want to be able to understand my own BHAVs if I ever clone my own objects - which I frequently do, because why do the same job twice if I don't have to? Like I said, lazy modder. Wink)

We're not quite snowed in, but we're working on it. Amazingly, it didn't get as bad as expected, much thanks to the fact that the snowploughers were on the case almost as soon as the first flake hit (probably because they knew there'd be riots in the streets if they dropped the ball again, like they did in November Dodgy). They even cleared my little street, and they usually forget about that one.

Having said that, I'm good with snow for now. Really. I don't think we need any more until sportlovet. Tongue

#23 04-01-2017 
I prefer keeping stuff as simple as possible as well. Just sometimes a simple solution doesn't cut it. If you don't know that there is a way to double the number of attributes, you need to do with the few that you have, and are thus required to develop some ingenious, complicated method. That has nothing to do with showing off d...ownloads folder size. (Good one, by the way)

In other cases, I've used tokens to replace attributes. But one wouldn't want to make a habit of that for every single little thing either. Because every token is yet another object for the game to keep track of.

#24 04-01-2017 
(04-01-2017 08:07 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  I prefer keeping stuff as simple as possible as well. Just sometimes a simple solution doesn't cut it.

And that would why I said "I like to keep things as simple as possible," and not "I always keep it simple." I'm very well aware simple isn't always enough.

(04-01-2017 08:07 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  If you don't know that there is a way to double the number of attributes, you need to do with the few that you have, and are thus required to develop some ingenious, complicated method. That has nothing to do with showing off d...ownloads folder size.

Nor did I say it has. I said I don't feel the need to make more things more complicated than they need to be for no other reason than showing off. Did you make up your "ingenious, complicated method" just to show people what a supahmodder you are? No, you did it out of necessity. Ergo, showing off folder size doesn't apply to you.

#25 04-01-2017 
I am the laziest of lazy. Why make it hard when you can make it easy Tongue Lazy modder is right up my alley! BO is right, sometimes you got to complicate things when you don't know the easier way but that's where you come in and enlighten us with your easy methods Big Grin

Maybe your guys could tell our guys how it's done. No plowing for 6-7 hours at least, and apparently the buses forgot how to drive in snow because they were nowhere to be seen. Had to walk home from the train, 1,6km in 15-20cm snow dragging my very heavy suitcase behind me (four wheeled, but fat lot of good that did xD). Very much agree, no more snow until sportlovet. Though the snow that's here is welcome to stay now it's been plowed and controlled, light up this dark igloo we call home Tongue

I intend to learn tokens at some point, because I imagine it'd help for some things, but for now I'm quite happy to stick with attributes and nice simple literal values to make my updated loan jar. I'll leave tokens for the future when some project ends up needing one in order to work.

#26 05-01-2017 
(04-01-2017 09:16 PM)NixNivis Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 08:07 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  I prefer keeping stuff as simple as possible as well.

And that would why I said "I like to keep things as simple as possible," and not "I always keep it simple." I'm very well aware simple isn't always enough.

Dear @NixNivis, as I see it, I used the same words, including "possible" and I even added "as well", indicating that I agreed with you. I was in no way attacking you.

(04-01-2017 09:16 PM)NixNivis Wrote:  
(04-01-2017 08:07 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  If you don't know that there is a way to double the number of attributes, you need to do with the few that you have, and are thus required to develop some ingenious, complicated method. That has nothing to do with showing off d...ownloads folder size.

Nor did I say it has. I said I don't feel the need to make more things more complicated than they need to be for no other reason than showing off. Did you make up your "ingenious, complicated method" just to show people what a supahmodder you are? No, you did it out of necessity. Ergo, showing off folder size doesn't apply to you.

And I didn't say you were attacking *me*, either. I was merely *adding* to what you said, completing it with what *I* felt needed to be said. I quoted the "D... ownloads folder" thingy, because that allowed me to compliment you on that, as I thought it was extremely funny.

#27 05-01-2017 
(05-01-2017 07:45 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  I was in no way attacking you.

That's not how your post came across, but if you say so.

#28 06-01-2017 
Loan jar 2.0 is functional Big Grin It now has a working pie menu that lets you turn interest on or off for each week day. Very easy to set up after looking at Nix's dummies, aside from the many doofus-moments of forgetting to change stack numbers after cloning bhavs and things along that line Tongue

But looking at your dummies I decided it's a good idea to have a dialog like yours, informing the player what it's set to. The pie menu does show if it's on or off by only displaying the option not currently active. But with 7 days it gets annoying clicking through all of them to see what it's set to, so a dialog with current settings is probably wise. I think I know how to set it up to display what stack attribute is set to, but it would be neat if I could make it show on or off, instead of 0 or 1. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make the dialog show on or off depending on what value the attribute stores? I know I could check in bhav and trigger different messages depending on what it's set to, but since there are 7 days that method would need a ridiculous number of messages to cover all combinations. If there's no way to do so I'll just add text explaining that 0 is off, and 1 is on, but it'd be neater if the message said on/off. I think it should be doable, just not sure how. @NixNivis Any ideas? Smile

For clarity I mean I want to make an interaction that brings up a text pop-up box in the right corner that looks something like
Interest Rate: X%
Monday: On/off
Tuesday: On/off
Wednesday: On/off
Thursday: On/off
Friday: On/off
Saturday: On/off
Sunday On/off

#29 06-01-2017 
I imagine you have a menu with all seven days, and when you click the day, a new sub-menu opens with only the "on" or "off" option for that day. Right?

I could imagine a menu model in which the on/off state for all days would be visible at once. You would have seven items in the menu, reading "Monday on/Monday off", "Tuesday on/Tuesday off", "Wednesday on/Wednesday off", etc. For each day, it would only show the option that is currently inactive, but all seven days and their states would be visible simultaneously.

Sure, it would require slightly more complicated code to produce, but it would be so easy to use, and you would not need the pop-up box anymore, either.

#30 06-01-2017 
Nah, the code wouldn't need to be more complicated, not the way I set it up. All I'd need to do is change the pie menu strings text, make it one layer less deep. I didn't originally because I felt it'd look very cluttered that way, but I'll give it a go and see how it looks in game.

EDIT: Poked around a bit, and I decided to add a check option "folder" to the branch of pie menu I added, that when you enter states if each day is on or off, like you suggested. It looks fine, so I'll keep it like that. Thank you, that's one problem solved Smile Now to make that darn jar recolorable...
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 12:32 AM by gummilutt.)

Sorry, that is a members only option