[split] DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics
#11 05-02-2017 
@asimwen

When you copied it into the folder, did it overwrite the original ones? or did it add a (1) to it. If it over-wrote it, then that's a hmmm.... I'm guessing that the old one is still being picked up.

When it's troubleshooting compatibility, go for whatever the compatibility that it wants to set. Although it probably should set it to Windows 8. For some reason each operating system compatibility works best when its set to one behind the current one.

It's really important that it is set to 'Run as administrator'. Can you double check that that is set up?

#12 06-02-2017 
@celebkiriedhel

Hi there,

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

I double checked my user account on the computer and this is what I see:

[Image: administrator_zpsau5bj5tx.png]

I am assuming this means the system recognizes me as the administrator.

Now as for whether or not the files were written over, I believe they were. However, Windows Security was a bad culprit again.

[Image: dates_zps60dtmds1.png]

I noted when I checked the properties of both of this files in both Config and CSConfig, the Graphics Rules SGR had had a creation date of this past January, but was modified in 2013. ??? At the bottom of the window was a blurb about how the file came from a different computer and could be harmful to my computer. If I wanted to use it, to check the box beside Unblock. So I did. Then the Modified date changed to today.

I restarted the computer and tried again. Error still threw. I am thinking about uninstalled Mansions and Gardens only, then reinstalling it. Then try this again. What do you think?

Thank you so much.

#13 06-02-2017 
@asimwen

I'm wondering what other expansion packs you have. Could you list them for me? Don't uninstall M&G yet. We will track it down.

#14 07-02-2017 
@ celebkiriedhel

I have them all. When I installed on the new machine, I installed each EP and Stuff Pack in order, and incidentally installed each EA released patch in order downloaded from SimWiki. I note that on the DxDiag file I posted earlier, way at the end of the report it shows app crashes...in particular sims2ep2_patch.exe, sims2ep1_patch.exe, sims2_update_DVD.exe, and others unnamed. Perhaps it is the patches causing the trouble?

#15 07-02-2017 
@asimwen

I'm just wondering if you have a deluxe or collection pack - they can change where the graphic rules needs to be installed.

#16 08-02-2017 
@celebkiriedhel

Good evening. I do not have a deluxe or collection pack installed. I have all the original EPS and Stuff Packs as they were released years ago.

#17 08-02-2017 
@asimwen

It does sound like your settings in Windows 10 are stuffing up the game. I can't know for sure (I have Windows 7) but it does sound like it.

OK. So here's a test I want you to do.

1. If you already have a hood in your my documents area - regardless of whether it is full or CC or empty - rename it. We want the game to regenerate the play folder.
2. Copy the graphic rules.sgr and video cards.sgr from your Mansion and Gardens folders into every config and csconfig folder for each game and expansion pack (don't bother with the stuff packs, they don't count).
3. Start up the game using a nocd hack (if you have one).
4. Go into the game if you can.
5. Regardless of whether you can go into the game or not - put up the config-log.txt again.

What we're doing here is taking some of the possible problems out of the running, to see if we can find what is actually causing the problem.

#18 09-02-2017 
@celebkiriedhel

(08-02-2017 04:02 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  @asimwen

It does sound like your settings in Windows 10 are stuffing up the game. I can't know for sure (I have Windows 7) but it does sound like it.

OK. So here's a test I want you to do.

1. If you already have a hood in your my documents area - regardless of whether it is full or CC or empty - rename it. We want the game to regenerate the play folder.
2. Copy the graphic rules.sgr and video cards.sgr from your Mansion and Gardens folders into every config and csconfig folder for each game and expansion pack (don't bother with the stuff packs, they don't count).
3. Start up the game using a nocd hack (if you have one).
4. Go into the game if you can.
5. Regardless of whether you can go into the game or not - put up the config-log.txt again.

What we're doing here is taking some of the possible problems out of the running, to see if we can find what is actually causing the problem.

Hi Celebkiridhel

Again thank you for troubleshooting this terrible problem with me. My findings:

1. Renamed N003 to N004
2. I copied the graphic rules.sgr and video cards.sgr into every Config and CSConfig folder for each game and expansion packs.
3. Started the game using the nocd hack. Game did not start, threw the same no DirectX error
4. Log attached. I am also attaching the DxDiag file as it shows a different TS2 app crash at the end. Now only shows the EP9 as crashing.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-2HR9CFR-config-log.txt (Size: 1.08 KB / Downloads: 378)
.txt  DxDiag.1.txt (Size: 92.5 KB / Downloads: 465)

#19 09-02-2017 
@asimwen

Sorry, I should have been more specific - when I said that I wanted you to rename your folder, I meant your 'The Sims 2' folder - not the N003 folder. If there is a problem with a file in your my documents area, regenerating the whole folder will take it out of the equation.

#20 12-02-2017 
@celebkiriedhel
(09-02-2017 07:22 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  @asimwen

Sorry, I should have been more specific - when I said that I wanted you to rename your folder, I meant your 'The Sims 2' folder - not the N003 folder. If there is a problem with a file in your my documents area, regenerating the whole folder will take it out of the equation.

Hi there celebkiriedhel,

I am sorry I have been away for a couple of days. Real life. I renamed the TS2 folder to The Sims 2.1. Clicked to start the game, error threw. Looked in the newly created TS2 folder, and it was very stark. All I have in there is the Logs folder and the Teleport folder. I must say, I had them all in the renamed The Sims 2.1 folder. How did I get them? Well, strangely when I first installed the game a couple of weeks ago, I brought the game up after the installation of M&G. It was in a very low resolution but it started, I went into Strangetown and played a bit, and closed the game down happy that it started. I started scouring the internet for help on fixing the resolution.

[Image: ts2lowrez_zpsmtofc3wf.jpg]

When I attempted to bring up the game a second time, the Directx errors started to throw. I am mystified as to what changed. The only log in the Logs folder is attached.

Thank you.

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-2HR9CFR-config-log.txt (Size: 1.09 KB / Downloads: 355)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option