The Sims 2 UC Directx 9 error...
#21 15-05-2017 
@sako

Just checking - are you still trying to run the game in windowed mode? There is a problem that we haven't been able to sort out yet when it works in windowed, but not in full screen. Full screen will not work in those cases no matter what we do.

#22 15-05-2017 
Yes, the windowed mode "setting" is on, I've added the "-w" at the end of the location path:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe" -w

...But sadly it seems to make no difference here, as I'm still getting the error.

If we ever get this thing working, I'd actually prefer playing in windowed mode, so that's not a problem for me Smile

#23 16-05-2017 
@sako

OK. So lets see if we can roll back your problems to the first one. You said in your first post that you updated your graphics drivers, but before that it was working poorly? Lets go back to there.

If you go into your device manager, you can roll back graphics drivers. I want you to do that.

Then try to go into your game.

#24 16-05-2017 
Yep. When I opened the game after the very first installation, it started up and was running smoothly without any lag, but on a very small res and lots of graphics options were set on low and some couldn't be changed at all (the antialiasing setting was completely grayed out, for example).

I really regret the driver update now.. Without it we wouldn't be wrestling with this error and we could focus on the graphics instead, but I did it because I remembered someone saying (not on this forum, somewhere else) that if TS2 is running on very low graphics despite the potential for more, updating the graphics card driver might help. This time it certainly didn't...

I did the rollback on the driver (and it can't be rolled back more now), but the error message greeted me once again. Not sure why. There have been lots of Windows updates recently, but I haven't noticed the Radeon updater doing anything new.
Maybe I've missed something and it has indeed installed another update after the one that somehow broke TS2 UC for me..

#25 26-05-2017 
@sako Can you give me the config-log.txt again?

I want to see if the rolled back driver has affected the config-log.txt

#26 28-05-2017 
The config-log file still has not been regenerated even though I've tried to start the game several times. After I deleted the contents of the logs folder, the file did not "come back" at all, even though everything else in there did.

I brought the file back from the trash bin and then tried to start the game, but it did not change/update one bit: it's got all the same info as before, and it's dated 28.4.2017.

I uploaded it anyway, haha

Attached File(s)
.txt  OMISTAJA-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.29 KB / Downloads: 441)

#27 04-06-2017 
@celebkiriedhel

Sorry for the double post again.. Smile

A miracle has happened! My game is up and running!!

I bought TS4 today (I know my CPU isn't really good enough for it, but I am an experienced laggy-game-player so it would have been fine, lol) and after installing it I just got another video card related error message.

I was so frustrated, I wanted to start pulling my hair out! Like really, is there any game my PC CAN run?? However I had checked beforehand and my graphics card SHOULD be able to handle TS4 just fine.

So I did some Googling..And apparently lots of people have bypassed this error by disabling an Origin feature called "Origin In-game"
. I did that. Nothing, still got the error.

Then, as a last resort, I opened Radeon's updater/setting center program thingy and started looking at the various settings which I understand nothing of! I randomly clicked on a setting called "GPU Scaling". It was off, I turned it on.

And just for fun, I tried to launch TS2 instead of TS4 first... I was prepared to see the good ol' error again. But nope! The game started up!

I've restarted my computer since.. And the game still launches and works like a dream. It's no longer stuck at 800x600res and all the graphical options are available, which I'm sure is because of the card files you gave me Smile

I got the black box shadow problem at first, but then downloaded the recommended fix here and so that's taken care of now too.

I'm so happy right now! Thank you so, so, so much for the card files and all the other help you've been giving me! You're such a nice person, helping me and all these other folks with simming problems Smile I hope good things come your way.

If I ever run into other problems, I'll be sure to come back here (in fact, I think I'm gonna stick around anyway, this seems like a nice forum!).

#28 06-06-2017 
@sako That's excellent!!! I will have to remember that one and check for it next time. Thanks for coming back and letting me know.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option