Computer Illiterate Need Help Please
#1 03-05-2017 
  • Registered
I've read the posts you have already posted but as the title states...I will do my best to follow the steps. I bought a copy of ts2 on ebay. When it wouldn't start due to a directx error I went to EA for help. They gave me the ultimate collection and said it would work but I'm getting the same error message. I've never played ts2. Ts3 and 4 work fine on my computer. I have an HP notebook running Windows 10 64bit I'll try to get you the dxdiag and a screenshot...

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 94.53 KB / Downloads: 502)

.txt  NAENAEHAPPY-config-log.txt (Size: 9.59 KB / Downloads: 408)
I hope I did these right...

#2 03-05-2017 
@shanenri

Try running this web installer from Microsoft for DirectX 9.0c. The idea is that maybe your computer doesn't have all of the DirectX 9.0c files needed for running the game, and that by running this installer, it will detect what files are missing or corrupt, and try to add/update them. Perhaps this could help? After running that web installer and following its messages, turn off your laptop, then turn it back on. See if this works:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...aspx?id=35

#3 04-05-2017 
  • Registered
@d_dgjdhh

Tried it, but it says I have a newer version of DirectX. I contacted HP support and they couldn't help either. I think I just won't be able to play The Sims 2. Sad

#4 05-05-2017 
All right, try editing your 'Video Cards.sgr' file found in both of these locations on your computer (depending on your setup):

If your game is downloaded from Origin:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

If you installed your game through discs:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\Config\
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

Make a backup of the file 'Video Cards.sgr' (from either folder is fine). Save a copy of the original file elsewhere on your computer.

Now, based on your config-log.txt file, this is the relevant section I'd like to bring to your attention:

Name (driver): Intel® HD Graphics 520
Name (database): Intel® HD Graphics 520 <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 1916, Board: 81eb103c, Chipset: 0007

You will need to input the Device ID# (1916) below the correct Vendor ID# (8086) on the 'Video Cards.sgr' file. Find the Vendor Intel by its number. Then fill out the information to match the formatting of the list of device IDs. It should look like this when you edit the file (I use NotePad):
[Image: 76203_170505020939ScrapCard1916.jpg]

After you edited the file, save it and overwrite the existing file from the folder locations above. See if it works. Also attach the file to your next post to see if it's placed in the correct section.

#5 05-05-2017 
  • Registered
Scary stuff...it won't mess up anything will it? Like my other games or the laptop itself? Probably dumb questions but, I am new to all this!

I see what your saying, and I do this in the Pets folder not the Garden and Mansions, because the error says Garden and Mansions?! I installed the original base game from a disc then Origin gave me the UC for free. So I have both but can't uninstall the original. Maybe if I uninstall everything and start from scratch?
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 09:07 PM by shanenri.)

#6 06-05-2017 
No, that 'Video Cards.sgr' file relates only to The Sims 2 installation, not your other games that you play. There's even scarier files that aren't as organized & simple as this file. So try inserting that line and saving. Back up the original file first. In case something goes wrong, you can take the original file and overwrite your edited one.

#7 06-05-2017 
  • Registered
Tried it, didn't work. Here's my screenshot of what I did...

#8 08-05-2017 
@shanenri Please ignore what @d_dgjdhh has said, it's got nothing to do with your problem.

You have the texture memory problem and that can be fixed with the following cards:

Download these two cards:

Video Cards.sgr - INTEL - 1616
Graphic Rules - INTEL - Texture Fix

Un-rar them so you have the sgr files and load them into these program folders:

\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\
MUST BE INSTALLED IN BOTH FOLDERS

It will over-write what's already there and that is ok.

Also you need to not update the Ultimate collection because it will overwrite those files again.

Run the game from the Sims2ep9.exe shortcut , and you should be able to play.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option