Freezes after intro
#1 15-11-2017 
  • Registered
Hi, been struggling with this for 4 days but just can't figure it out. Would appreciate any attention and help.

Bought a new laptop running Windows 10. Downloaded The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection via Origin.

Have replaced the Graphics Rules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr, and added my processor line to Video Cards.sgr

Currently The Sims intro runs, then freezes on the main screen before any buttons or menu options come up. The mouse still moves but the screen doesn't progress. I have attached a screenshot of this, as well as the config file.

I am not sure what to try next. Please help.

.txt  DESKTOP-FRVHTCS-config-log.txt (Size: 9.55 KB / Downloads: 326)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 15-11-2017 02:32 PM by patricia88.)

#2 02-01-2018 
@patricia88

The likelihood is that the origin update has stuffed up your game.

hat we're going to do is free the game from needing to be launched through Origin first -
1. Download No_CD version of Sims2EP9.exe .
This is the version I use so I know it doesn't have any viruses, and it works ok.

2. Then go to this folder:
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\
and rename Sims2EP9.exe to Sims2EP9.old

3. Install the NoCD version into the folder

4. Run the game from this exe - Does it load? Does it ask for Origin?

Come back and let me know.

#3 02-01-2018 
@celebkiriedhel Question: would this no-CD exe also work with the disk-based version of M&G? Or only with the UC?

Normally, I'd send M&G players to GCW to get a No-CD, but that site offers so many versions that people get confused. If the above file also works for them, I'd rather tell them to get that one.

#4 02-01-2018 
@BoilingOil Yup - that one works with the DVDs (that's what I use it with) It's the Mansion and Garden only. I didn't originally get it from GCW, but I got it from somewhere similiar that isn't around anymore .... I think? (While I own UC, I don't use it because I prefer the CD/DVD version).

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option