need help please!!!
#1 03-12-2017 
  • Registered
My sims 2 game keeps crashing. I have literally tried everything. It will play for a little bit but the i get the pop up that says this application has terminated and will now close. I have no idea what to do. I have windows 10.

I have uninstalled and re installed. tried to fix my geforce graphics card but that dint help. not sure what else to do. I do see in my con fig log that my nvidia is not in the database. if anybody could help because im going crazy!!

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-SJDN71A-config-log.txt (Size: 10.35 KB / Downloads: 394)

#2 03-12-2017 
I see that your graphics card isn't recognized by the game, AND that your system has the 32MB texture memory bug. If you know how to use a text editor, you could fix these things yourself...

First, right-click on your desktop, and select the NVIDIA Control Panel. In the bottom left corner of that screen, click "system information". Now it will show you a panel with your video card's details. In that window, find the line "Dedicated Video Memory" and write down the number you see there.

Then go to the folder
\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most recent expansion pack>\TSData\Res\Config\ (for CD/DVD versions of the game)
or \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\ (for the UC)
and open the file named Video Cards.sgr to include a lline

card 0x1b81 "GeForce GTX 1070"

in the NVIDIA section. When you're sure that you entered the line correctly, save the file.

Then open the file named Graphics Rules.sgr in the same folder.
Find the line that reads "seti textureMemory <some number>" (should be somewhere in the first 50 lines or so). Remove the number from that line, and put in the number that you just wrote down.
Save the file.

Then then make a copy of both the files that you just changed in the
\Program Files (x86)\EA\The Sims 2 - <your most recent expansion pack>\TSData\Res\CSConfig\ (CD/DVD version)
or \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\ folder. (UC)

Then try to restart the game and see if that makes things better. If it doesn't, then you have more problems. In that case, please report back here, with a NEW version of your config-log.txt file.

#3 04-12-2017 
  • Registered
hi thanks for your help so i tried that and it did nothing. it crashed within a few minutes of playing. here is my new log

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-SJDN71A-config-log.txt (Size: 10.31 KB / Downloads: 382)

#4 05-12-2017 
Ah, you're not exactly right: it DID do something; It's a pity that the game doesn't perform any better because of it, but your config-log.txt now looks a lot better. And at least now we are certain that it isn't your graphics settings that cause the problem.

Do you have custom content? And if so, could you please try playing the game without it?

#5 05-12-2017 
  • Registered
hey nope dont have any custom content. but i forgot that i had the game on a compatibility setting. so i changed it and it has worked so far.

#6 05-12-2017 
Ah, better! Smile

#7 07-12-2017 
  • Registered
ughh so it just crashed again and i have no idea why, what do i do? is the sims 2 just not compatible any more??

#8 08-12-2017 
I'm sure it can be *made* compatible, @gamerqueen87. I'm just not sure how, at the moment. I guess it's waiting for @celebkiriedhel at this time.

#9 08-12-2017 
@gamerqueen87 @BoilingOil

Thanks for the Tap in BO. Smile

Gamerqueen - is the last config-log.txt the most up to date one?

There's a couple of things that might be the problem -

1. It's NVidia. And NVidia has it's own issues. Are you using the NVidia Graphic Rules card with the updated screen memory?

2. The Name for the Driver has to be the same as the name for the database - and they're different:
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Name (database): GeForce GTX 1070
If you change the Video Cards one that you set up to include NVIDIA at the front, that will fix that problem.

3. Are you running it as admin? It needs to be run as admin from the admin account with the Ultimate Collection (it's an origin thing)
Alternatively - do you have it set up to use the noCD version of the SimsEP99.exe?

Can you go into the game successfully to start with, and is it crashing further in, or is it crashing before it loads?

I'll be around this week to help, so if you can answer the questions and provide a new config-log.txt if the one up there isn't the most current, that would be great.

#10 08-12-2017 
@celebkiriedhel I had no idea that the omission of "NVidia" in the Database name would make any difference. In my game, it doesn't, and I've seen several others where it didn't either.
Many NVidia cards in the Video Cards.sgr don't have the "NVidia" phrase included in their name, yet they still work.
But from now on, I'll keep this in mind and offer it as an alternative in case the other option doesn't work. Thanks Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option