The Sims 2 UC WON'T LAUNCH
#1 31-12-2017 
  • Registered
Hi guys! Hopefully someone can help me, I am desperate. Few days ago I wanted to play Sims 2 UC and I did. Then I wanted to put some CC. I clicked on the icon of TS2 UC and Origin opened. I opened it through Origin and Origin closed (but it was still on taskbar). Mouse was "loading something" for a few seconds. Then Origin opened again. Nothing happened. No matter how much I click it won't launch. I went crazy. I reinstalled the game. I backup-ed the game but I left completely new fresh start of the game. It opened! But then i had some backup and i replaced it with the new one. It didn't launch. I removed all CC I've had and nothing happened either. So it's not the problem in the CC, but something other. I removed that backup and put older backup and it worked. I played it yesterday and everything was fine. I said "Okay, that other backup didn't work this one did". Today I downloaded few pieces of CC and put it in the downloads folder. I clicked on Origin (millions of times) and it again didn't work (just like other backup). I removed CC but nothing again. I am so pissed off! I really want to play the game Sad! I ran as administrator too, but it again proceeded me on Origin. I really don't know what to do. PLEASE help me. Sad

Attached File(s)
.txt  SIMS2-config-log.txt (Size: 10.38 KB / Downloads: 585)

#2 02-01-2018 
@Sims2Forever

OK. Origin recently made a change to remove Securom and while it did fix the Securom issue it caused a lot of other problems. I'm pretty sure your problems are part of that.

What we're going to do is free the game from needing to be launched through Origin first -
1. Download No_CD version of Sims2EP9.exe .
This is the version I use so I know it doesn't have any viruses, and it works ok.

2. Then go to this folder:
\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\
and rename Sims2EP9.exe to Sims2EP9.old

3. Install the NoCD version into the folder

4. Run the game from this exe - Does it load? Does it ask for Origin?

Come back and let me know. Once we get the game going we can fix the other issues.

#3 08-01-2018 
  • Registered
Hi! Sorry for late respond. I did all you told me, but it doesn't wanna load. :'( It didn't ask for origin though, it just doesn't want to launch.

#4 09-01-2018 
  • Registered
Hello again! So I really wanted to fix this issue and so I searched on the internet again (I tried before but I didn't find anything useful) and this time I went to MTS (Mod the sims). There is topic where I have found exact issue I was having. If anyone has issue like mine I suggest trying this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Ga...ache_Files . I think it's very useful! So the problem I had wasn't CC or Origin but those little files that can get very big and cause problems. I was so happy when it launched! Apparently, I have to delete them often, cause game will generate those files whenever they are deleted. I hope I didn't bother you, and you can easily put this topic as solved! Big Grin (sorry for my crappy english)

#5 09-01-2018 
Cache files... That's such a common problem, and so easy to fix... sometimes people even forget that they can be the cause of all kinds of problems.
If *my* game doesn't want to properly start, deleting those files is the FIRST thing I try, and it almost always works!
Deleting the cache files is also usually the first thing I tell people to try! But in this case it seemed just too mundane, so I kept my mouth shut. This will teach me to next time just say it!

#6 10-08-2018 
For real! After about a week of playing TS2 again, the game started refusing to start, giving me this vague non-warning as it did:

[Image: Sims2-BigRedX.jpg]

So then after this thread reminded me to delete my cache files, I did so. And the game started right up. Smile

Rassum frassum cache files. What good are they? Dodgy

#7 11-08-2018 
So, even without knowing it, I *did* help you anyway, @Pizzatron-9000. Big Grin

To answer you question what the cache files are good for, though... (just in case that is a serious question, which it might not be). As long as they are not corrupted by the normal game mechanics, they improve load times for later sessions. Just like the thumbnail file limprove load times for the different in-game catalogues.

#8 11-08-2018 
(11-08-2018 01:04 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  So, even without knowing it, I *did* help you anyway, @Pizzatron-9000. Big Grin

You're just too skilled for words! Wink

(11-08-2018 01:04 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  To answer you question what the cache files are good for, though... (just in case that is a serious question, which it might not be). As long as they are not corrupted by the normal game mechanics, they improve load times for later sessions. Just like the thumbnail file limprove load times for the different in-game catalogues.

So I reckon it stands to reason that I shouldn't delete the cache files unless my game starts acting wonky. Is that a fair assessment?

#9 11-08-2018 
That is a fair question, @Pizzatron-9000. But the answer is... not necessarily.

The thing is, when the game was first released, even reasonably high end machines took a few minutes to start up the game. And with every expansion, that loading time grew as well. Saving as many odd seconds as possible was a good thing then. But most computers nowadays are so much faster; CPU speed has grown by a factor 10, graphics cards take a larger portion of the work, HDDs are replaced by much faster SSDs... The standard is slowly becoming that TS2 with ALL expansions added can load in under a minute. So the cache files hardly save us much more than a second anymore. Many people won't even notice it.

If you *can* run the game with the cache files intact, that's just fine. And especially if your computer takes its time to load the game (no SSD drive, for example), then I would advise to try and keep them intact as long as possible. But if your system requires less than two minutes to start the game, and you make a habit of deleting them before or after every play session, that's just dandy as well in most cases. Only when the cache files get corrupted, and prevent the game from running, then you *must* destroy them in order to continue your play.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option