Windows 10 (Fall update) plus new install of Origin UC (updated) = Unplayable?
#41 03-03-2018 
I'm on Windows 10 Home 64 bit Fall Creators Update 1709, desktop PC, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, DDR4-2400 32GB
and the graphic card you say you wanted to test
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB.

After fiddling with everything I could find on the web I am still a pinky all over and my game do crash at random times and points.
Huh...

#42 05-03-2018 
Thanks, @arethien. Disappointing but not surprising.

You can either roll back your Windows update and turn off updates (security risk), or go into your graphics settings while playing and change something like lighting or texture quality, then go back to live mode. Supposedly this fixes the pink for a while. Some folks are limping by with that fix. I (OP of this particular thread) ended up downgrading to a 970 for now. I think we won't see progress unless a lot of people report the issue to EA directly, and maybe not even then.

I didn't realize, at the time this problem came up, that not a lot of people who play older games are likely to have series 10 cards. Or rather, I realized people who played older games were more likely to have older/lower end hardware, but what I didn't realize was that the price of series 10 cards is out of control due to cryptocurrency miners, so there's probably a bottleneck of "casual" gamers upgrading. So ... it'll be even longer before EA takes the problem seriously.

Edit: you should be able to solve the crashing, at least. Look back on this thread for a link to the 4GB patch, and the texture memory setting to change in Graphics Rules.sgr.

#43 05-03-2018 
Update: POSSIBLE WORKAROUND? (OLD NVIDIA DRIVER.)

A few weeks ago, a user named @katashkin made this post:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.ph...1#pid42371

I followed up with them to get more info (did they mean this driver fixed flashing pink/windows 10 1709/series 10 cards?), and they said it did. I think this info got overlooked because it didn't work for that particular OP.

So I hauled out my GTX 1070 test machine (running Windows 1709). It already has 4GB patch and texture memory management enabled. I downloaded this August 2016 NVIDIA driver which seems to match the version katashkin refers to:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRes...5851/en-us

Then I uninstalled my old drivers with DDU, restarted the PC and pulled the network cable (so Windows couldn't try to reinstall a newer version automatically). I then installed the drivers above.

I didn't have a lot of time to test it yet, but I loaded several households and switched around between several neighborhoods, and was unable to cause any pink flashing.

Anyone else want to give it a try?

Of course, if it works we have the challenge of trying to keep Windows from updating the NVIDIA driver. Wink

#44 05-03-2018 
@gwynne

Quote:You can either roll back your Windows update...
It took me over a week to set up my Windows 10 the way I wanted. Bloatware, settings, drivers... I took my system recovery after that... No getting back to old version without a full system reinstall.

Quote:...turn off updates (security risk)...
...and that.

Quote:...or go into your graphics settings while playing and change something like lighting or texture quality, then go back to live mode...
It had no impact at all to my game. Nothing changed.

Quote:...not a lot of people who play older games are likely to have series 10 cards...
Yup, probably. I had my working laptop(s) only for a good few years. My lifestyle kinda didn't allow having gaming PC.

Quote:...price of series 10 cards is out of control due to cryptocurrency miners...
For upgrading by buying only a graphic card maybe, not so if you buy a whole PC. I bought mine for a really good price!

Quote:...you should be able to solve the crashing, at least. Look back on this thread for a link to the 4GB patch, and the texture memory setting to change in Graphics Rules.sgr...
I don't know if you read my post in mrukel22's thread. Without meddling with 4GB patch and Graphic Rules.sgr I could not see even neighborhood selection screen, because it crashed before that point.

Quote:...Anyone else want to give it a try?...
On my way! I'll just take Japanese version of these drivers... and ok, wish me luck... be right back...

Quote:keep Windows from updating the NVIDIA driver
System settings - Advance - Hardware tab - Device Install Settings - to no? Right?

*EDIT*
How did you install these? It says it won't install because they are not compatible.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 07:28 PM by Arethien.)

#45 05-03-2018 
Quote:*EDIT*How did you install these? It says it won't install because they are not compatible.

From the link in my previous post, these are the compatible series 10 cards listed:

GeForce 10 Series:
GeForce GTX 1080, GeForce GTX 1070, GeForce GTX 1060

I wonder if there's some chance the 1080 ti isn't included!? I guess it wouldn't have been on the market long in Aug 2016, but I also can't find any other driver that explicitly lists it from that timeframe.

They do specify 'Ti' for older cards. An example from the same driver's notes:

GeForce 900 Series:
GeForce GTX 980 Ti, GeForce GTX 980, GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 960, GeForce GTX 950

Sorry, wish I had better news.

As far as your crashing, have you made the following change to your Graphics Rules.sgr file?

boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager true

This is the other piece of the puzzle (along with 4GB patch and using a no-CD executable) to stop the crashing. (Doesn't stop the pink.)

#46 06-03-2018 
Thanks for your answer @gwynne.
That's a pity... Confused but... why's mrukel22 could not install them nether?
Here http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8322 he wrote:
Quote:I have found the driver of your version, but the installation gave an error and said "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."
I am on Windows 10, are you as well?
and this:
Quote:I uninstalled the Graphics driver from the device manager; when I restarted the computer, Windows automatically installed the version "23.21.13.8873".
Before Windows could install that, I manually tried to install "21.21.13.7254" but it still gave the same compatibility error.
So he ended up with...
Quote:I wanted to update all looking here for solutions that I have managed to FIX my The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Windows 10.
What REALLY did the trick for me was to roll back to the Windows version 1703.
which I can't do Sad.
He has GTX 1060.

Quote:As far as your crashing, have you made the following change to your Graphics Rules.sgr file?
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager true
Yes, I have it just so.

*EDIT*
On low settings I had no pink for few seconds, then terrain turned pink. Screenshot below.
My crash may be because of a faulty mod, it does so only when I try to open my comfort in buy category... Need to clean that up and see. My Ikea Sofa's Expansion Set maybe? Confused Mind that I'm not play testing longer that 5 minutes of a game play at a time, because you know pink. I'll worry about that crash after pink is gone... if pink will ever be gone.
My actual graphic driver is this 391.01-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 03:51 AM by Arethien.)

#47 06-03-2018 
Quote:That's a pity... Confused but... why's mrukel22 could not install them nether?

That part does seem odd. The driver explicitly lists GTX 1060 as being supported. (I will admit, though, that I'm not good at keeping track of people's different problem threads or configurations ... for example, any chance that user is on a mobile/laptop 1060? Or possibly 32-bit Windows? Otherwise there's no reason a desktop GTX 1060 shouldn't use the driver download I linked.)

#48 06-03-2018 
gwynne Wrote:...any chance that user is on a mobile/laptop 1060?...
Ah, yes, he mentioned he is on gaming laptop. He was searching for that old driver before your link, so maybe he tried laptop version? Don't know.

I was trying to install these:
372.54-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql
Which threw a not compatible error and would not install.

Mine is a desktop PC.

Tried again with game clean install, not UC, no Origin, no mods, no saves, newly generated EA Games folder, 4GB patch and noCD.
On whatever graphic settings I run my game there are random pink things. Sometimes looks almost normal, but turns pink after some time or some interaction with objects. Had one crash in buy catalog while browsing. Restarted three more times, but could not crash it again in there.

*EDIT*
Found above mentioned catalog crash file. This one: Sims2Exception 2018.03.06 23.35.17

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  MONSTER-config-log.txt (Size: 10.39 KB / Downloads: 442)
.txt  AppErrors.log.txt (Size: 4.29 KB / Downloads: 455)
.txt  Graphics Rules.sgr.txt (Size: 34.42 KB / Downloads: 377)
.txt  Video Cards.sgr.txt (Size: 26.73 KB / Downloads: 381)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2018.03.06 23.35.17.txt (Size: 18.91 KB / Downloads: 659)
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 04:37 PM by Arethien.)

#49 06-03-2018 
Quote:I was trying to install these:
372.54-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql
Which threw a not compatible error and would not install.

So I had to fall back to DuckDuckGo because google was failing hard. I found this:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/37...-notes.pdf

It's dated March 9, 2017, and includes the following line:

New Features
 Added support for the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

... which seems to indicate this is absolutely the oldest driver that supported the 1080 Ti.

It's significantly newer than the August 2016 driver that seems to show promise for 1070 cards, but here it is if you want to try it out:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRes...5887/en-us

@CatOfEvilGeniu(s) did some experiments with going back to older NVIDIA drivers, but I don't know how far back she went (maybe check her thread). All I know for sure is that Oct 2017 is *not* old enough.

#50 07-03-2018 
*EDIT* 07.03.2019

A year later... New Nvidia drivers. Game is pink, unplayable. Saddening. Sad
It seems there is still no fix for desktop gaming PC's with nvidia 1070 and 1080 and no integrated graphic card to switch to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for all your help @gwynne.

I've installed these 378.78-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.
After testing it for a short time it seems to be a "little" better. I did not see any pink in not modded game even on high settings, excluding few objects in catalog which had pink thumbnails, but these items themselves after placing looked ok. Although my game seems to crash more often on these drivers. Maybe just a coincidence, don't know.

On modded game, changed both install and documents game folder names to test both, custom neighborhood was pink, but not original ones.

Right now, I'm a little tired of testing, want to play some Sims. Already been a week "playing" with drivers and settings, not simming.
So... I'm gonna take a break from The Sims 2 problems for a while. My Sims 3 and 4 works great, so... need to relax myself a little.

I will stalk these forums for maybe more new solutions and workarounds, also will post something after longer testing when I get back to it.

*EDIT*
Got back to testing. This time for a longer period of time.

・Clean install using DDU of two graphic drivers. Not at once of course! To remind, my Graphic Card is GTX 1080 Ti.
- 378.78 International WHQL 2017.3.9
and
- 391.01 International WHQL 2018.2.26
・I've reinstalled All EP and SP of The Sims 2 again from scratch, cleaning registry beforehand using CCleaner, from my CDs Confused . Patched it manually. Install location to C:\Games\The Sims 2. Had a problem on Japanese system with Ⓡ sign in Ikea and H&M, so renamed these two folders during installation to use R instead.
・Used NoCD and 4GB patch on .exe.
・Changed Graphic Rules.sgr using Kiri's ones and editing it to add my texture memory (I hope I wrote good value?). Added my Graphic Card to Graphic Cards.sgr.
・No windows compatibility mode, only the DPI scaling. Run as Administrator. Windowed mode -w -r1280x720 on a shortcut.
・No mods, no saves, deleted whole EA Games folder to make sure no errors occur.

Result: Sadly not fixed.
Game just seem to not see my 11 GB of texture memory. Acts like on a low end GPU. It goes pink where and when it wants. Restart of a game has no impact, restart of a PC gives cleaner result for a while, but still items and Sims flips to pink side randomly very fast after fresh boot. Neighborhoods and lots with many objects have more pink. Thanks to my SSD hard drive fast loads I was able to test it many times by restarting the game or whole PC.

Also it crashes randomly too! Sometimes during loading screens, sometimes in live mode. Sometimes it can run for over an hour with no crash, but of course with various number of pink things.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2018.03.09 23.31.51.txt (Size: 13.02 KB / Downloads: 445)
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2019 11:55 AM by Arethien.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option