The Sims 2 (Non-UC) Flashes Pink & Crashes Constantly on Windows 10, GTX 1060
#21 06-03-2018 
Am I the only one left with not solved pink? *sad face*

#22 06-03-2018 
@CatOfEvilGeniu Hello! I was trying to get to a resolution a little bit higher than 800x600 when it would crash; not even to 4K. But in the old Windows version and playing in windowed mode, I had no problem changing the resolution of the game to the highest setting!

#23 10-03-2018 
Hello!

I wanted to share that installing the Un-Leveled Wall from Custom Walls Repository & Index by Numenor brought back the enormous pink flashing soup to my game; which was solved when I took the file out and I actually uninstalled the scriptorium because I was scared, haha.

#24 10-03-2018 
Well, I think that this pink comes back when many objects or/and high resolution things are in the game.
In my case even without any mods lots get pink things on them. When bus arrives it is pink, fish in the aquarium, Sims... randomness.
So it is still the same problem, our cards texture memory is not fully, if at all, used!

#25 13-03-2018 
@Arethien exactly...

My game running perfectly well for two weeks made me spoiled, so I kept beautifying my neighborhood and adding little bits of CC to my already large downloads folder. But it wasn't really too much to ask from the game; it wasn't even half the amount I used to have with my old gaming computer.

Now my game is unplayable again. Pink flashing everywhere, the whole lot and the sims in it.
I tried backing up my game and doing the "repair" section in Origin, then applied all the necessary stuff to fix it, but no help.
I feel quite bad about it but it seems The Sims 2 is becoming too outdated for new systems. I tried everything and it still doesn't work...

If someone discovers a good solution, please inform me as well.
As for now, I'll try and see if I'll like The Sims 4.

#26 10-12-2018 
  • Registered
(13-03-2018 01:36 PM)mrukel22 Wrote:  @Arethien exactly...
Now my game is unplayable again. Pink flashing everywhere...

TLDR: I've resolved a problem after 3 months of tries and fails, thanks to the community and especially a Big Shout-Out to this forum and its owners. And the only solution I offer - install a Windows 7 in parallel with Windows 10 you presumably on. Switch between them when you're up to play.

Now, for the story:

I'd got pissed off all that pink mess.
After months I've tried everything. Rare occasions worked for me, but not as well.
Reverting to old drivers of Nvidia (in my case) fixed a game for two launches
Patching its memory with Graphic Rules Maker fixes a bit, sure, but still after a hour it BEGINS. AGAIN. Gosh, how many tries, parameters and combinations.
Resulted in a good game behaviour with no shaders. An uglyness, but it at least helped me to play some more. Still, after 3-4 hours a pink germs took their victim and on the next travel to other lot I've ended in a pink mess again.
By that time 2 weeks passed. I started to be obsessed, I even hated a pink color itself. Any of the pink in my room, in real world turned me mad XD
I started to examine the problem more technically. A vertex shaders, a texture memory.
DirectX.
Yep, it's all about DirectX. If you examine all the problems with pink soup, you'll notice that all the stuff that helps, depends on DirectX. Old drivers, old hardware, old Win10 builds. It's all about it, trust me. The game works perfect with DX9, a bit worse on DX10. DX11-12 kills it immediately, drowns it in a pool of pink blood.

So, what gonna we do?
I gave up to bring it to life on W10. Nothing will help. DX9 and DX10 are impossible on a newer Windows. In fact, modern DX11-12'es only emulates DX9 and DX10 mode in a way game doesn't understand. Dynamics of adresses in memory causes the game to lose registers of stored textures and shaders - thus, a 'failsafe' mechanisms of pink soup appears. Not a shortage of video memory, but a way it moves out of game's engine sight. I think so.

I shrunk one of my HDDs through diskmgmt.msc to free some unallocated space - a total of 50 gb should be enough. I've disconnected my basic OS HDD - as W10 will never allow you to install W7 in parallel. I've installed a W7, a Geforce Experience with latest drivers for my NV GTX1080, an Origin. I set an Origin library to a drive/path of my Origin setup on Win10. I moved Sims 2 from there, started a setup in freshly installed Origin, paused it, shut Origin down and moved Sims 2 folder back.
That's what I've done to accomplish this
[Image: HR0542x.png]
[Image: HR05ZM0.png]

As you see, no pink soup, Shaders are enabled, antialiasing is present :3

#27 10-12-2018 
@FloeHetling that is great Smile Would you be willing to share a detailed breakdown of exactly how you did all that harddrive stuff? A lot of our users (including me) would be very scared to make those changes without a clear guide.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option