Sims 2 Crashing on Windows 10
#1 19-03-2018 
  • Registered
Hi all,

I've got Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Windows 10, my PC is fairly new which I think is the problem (it ran fine on my previous 2-year old Windows 10 Laptop).

The game crashes within minutes and there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to where it happens but I haven't managed to play more than 3-5mins so far, it has crashed in CAS, adding downtown/universities and in loading a neighborhood. Sometimes I get the error "the application has crashed the application will now terminate" other times there is no error and it just crashes to the desktop.

I have been searching around the forums and have tried a couple of fixes - running in compatibility mode and as an administrator, have tried clearing the origin cache and groups cache. I've tried re-installing and repairing the game. I have just tried the texture fix and the video card fixes but no luck, crashed when loading the neighborhood.

I have no mods. Today I reinstalled the game completely vanilla - I've attached my config-log.

Thanks for you time and any help will be greatly received,

Carrie

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-71481EL-config-log.txt (Size: 10.38 KB / Downloads: 332)
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2018 08:29 PM by carrie266.)

#2 20-03-2018 
Hi there. I think you need to do the following:

1) Get a no-CD executable to replace Sims2EP9.exe in your installation. (I had a link but it looks like it's been removed.)

2) Apply this 4GB patch to that same executable: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

3) Add (or alter to look like this) this line in your Graphics Rules.sgr:

# never trust the driver to manage its own memory
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager true

I think these steps will stop your CRASHING. If you then start getting the dreaded 'flashing pink', you can check out this exciting thread which mostly matches your spec (I think):

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8261

You can also try completely uninstalling your NVIDIA drivers and install these old ones:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRes...5851/en-us

What you're experiencing is a combination of problems many of us with newer NVIDIA GPUs have run into (both the crashing, and you will possibly get some pink flashing if you haven't already) with a recent Windows 10 update (the "Fall Creator" update, version 1709). There also seems to be some crossover with newer NVIDIA drivers.

The game is fixable, but probably at the minimum requires the three steps at top. From what I've personally seen with a buttload of testing, 'compatibility mode' is a red herring and can safely be ignored.

#3 22-03-2018 
  • Registered
Thanks Gwynne I'll try that and let you know how i get on! :-)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option