(Windows 10, Sims 2) University won't install/update.
#1 29-07-2018 
  • Registered
Hello everyone. wave

I recently (re)purchased The Sims 2 and tried to install it, but when I try to install University it says it will check to make sure the installation is up to date. *Please note I am using regular 'ol The Sims 2, NOT Double Deluxe or the Ultimate Collection.* So, it says to insert disk number 4, and I do. It updates normally and then says that the update has failed, and then installation terminates. I'm using a Windows 10 computer, fully updated. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 30-07-2018 
This should help you with installing the patches, Grumpy Loader seems to be the only way to get them working on Windows 8 and 10.

#3 31-07-2018 
  • Registered
Thank you for the link, I've checked it out and am following the guide - so far it seems to be working. I'll update if I have anymore issues.

-UPDATE-

The Sims 2 is fully downloaded and the game(s) work just fine.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 02:31 AM by TheSilentLady.)

#4 28-12-2019 
  • Registered
So I'm having the same problem as TheSilentLady. I didn't seem to have any trouble installing this on Windows 10 last year, but my laptop screen broke and I bought a new PC and am trying to install again. I got the base game installed, but once I try to install University I can't complete the installation. Once it finishes, I get the notification that it needs to update and to insert Disc 4 of The Sims 2 base game. Once I insert it, it tries to update, gets to about 94% and says the update fails, and then it proceeds to uninstall the entire expansion pack. I tried following the instructions from the link and use Grumpy Loader, the problem is I can't (obviously) apply the patch until the installation is complete, but it won't finish the installation without trying to update it, which fails and uninstalls Uni. Any advice? I've tried it a couple times now and can't seem to figure it out.

Update: I got it to successfully install. I followed the tutorial here.
Basically I had to download the update files from the link provided and place them in the program files folder and replace all the files with the updated ones. Then I installed the game, once it got the portion where it checked for updates it said that the game was up to date and the installation completed. I had tried to install the regular Sims 2 patch beforehand also, and tried using Grumpy Loader, that did not fix the problem. This was the only way I could get it to work. Hopefully it helps anyone else having the same issue.
(This post was last modified: 28-12-2019 01:44 AM by ForestBalrog.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option