Okay, I'm Back and I'm In
#11 13-08-2018 
I'm seeing similar cwap with Andwoid, lately. As they update your phone software, they have the audacity to install stuff like Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, Spotify, Shazam, Amazon Shopping, Booking.com (hotel booking site), and what all else one can think of... If I'm interested in that stuff, I know how to use the Google Play app to find that stuff!

Oh, and what was that site where you can buy and sell dung?

#12 13-08-2018 
(12-08-2018 08:34 AM)Bubblebeam Wrote:  Hello, thought I'd take you up on the suggestion to follow you here. Nix recommended Leefish to me on several occasions as well, so I thought it finally time I stop delaying it. wave

You won't be disappointed. Isn't that right, BO? Wink

As for the Oblivion vid, I've seen it now! Have you seen this kind-of-old gem? Tongue

(Or if that's too racy for you, here's some easy listening. Big Grin )

(13-08-2018 04:48 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  I'm seeing similar cwap with Andwoid, lately. As they update your phone software, they have the audacity to install stuff like Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, Spotify, Shazam, Amazon Shopping, Booking.com (hotel booking site), and what all else one can think of... If I'm interested in that stuff, I know how to use the Google Play app to find that stuff!

Amen to that. It's like, I know that some Internet users are stone-cold stupid. But that's no reason to assume that all Internet users are stone-cold stupid. That's insulting, and nothing alienates a company's potential customers like insulting them. Isn't that how Adlai Stevenson lost an election for our Presidency about half a century back? "Mister Stevenson, you have the vote of every thinking American!" "That's nice. But I need a majority to win." Yeowch. o_O

(13-08-2018 04:48 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Oh, and what was that site where you can buy and sell dung?

Which one? Take your pick! Big Grin

Something about fools and their money comes to mind.... Wink
(This post was last modified: 13-08-2018 07:39 PM by Pizzatron-9000.)

#13 14-08-2018 
(Seriously, who needs to buy dung for fertilizer and whatnot? If you ever want to fertilize a patch of earth, just buy some chickens. There are two things that chickens are extremely good at doing: Eating and pooping. So let them live on that patch of dirt for a while, collect their eggs (if they're hens) or throw in a breeding pen if you have both hens and roosters (so you can make even more chickens), then cycle the chickens out and move them to some other patch of land. That now-thoroughly-fertilized patch of land will be growing redwoods within a month! Just ask my chickens. Little caca factories and walking, feathery garbage disposals, every last one of them! Big Grin )

(And whenever a chicken dies, bury it for Bonus Fertilizer Points. Three years ago, I had a nesting box break off of a wall in the henhouse and kill four of my hens right around the same time that a coyote or a stray dog broke into the rooster run and killed all three of my roosters, just out of orneriness; only one of my roosters completely disappeared, so I assume that that's the one the beast dragged into the woods and devoured. Poor Burglar. So anyway, that was an awful time, and the prickly pear cactus in my back yard was a bit sickly and still small enough to fit inside an overturned trash can. So I buried those six dead chickens around the cactus. Now the cactus is taking over my back yard! It's about ten feet wide at its broadest point, it's growing out through the chain-link fence and I'm about ready to start snipping pears off the cactus before it starts lacerating my arms while I'm walking to and from the carport! So chickens can fertilize plants in more ways than one, and they're pretty good at it. Just don't let live chickens into your flowerbeds. They'll devour your zinnias all the way down to the roots, believe me. No flower will survive! O_O )
(This post was last modified: 14-08-2018 02:55 AM by Pizzatron-9000.)

#14 14-08-2018 
@Pizzatron-9000 Hahahahaha... I love how you ran away with that "dung"... People don't take c*r*a*p or s*h*i*t that literally, usually. But anyway, I meant eBay... that was also one of the apps. I mean, Darnation, Google, what the hell is your problem?

Quote:Isn't that how Adlai Stevenson lost an election for our Presidency about half a century back? "Mister Stevenson, you have the vote of every thinking American!" "That's nice. But I need a majority to win." Yeowch. o_O

Has anyone considered that he may have been right? If every thinking American has been voting in 2016, for example, they must be *either* a minority, *or* not too smart, either.
Heck, the alternative is just to believethat Mr. Stevenson wasn't all that smart, either. Or he wouldn't have said something like that, true or not!

#15 14-08-2018 
  • Registered
(13-08-2018 07:28 PM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  As for the Oblivion vid, I've seen it now! Have you seen this kind-of-old gem? Tongue

Ahahah, somehow I missed that one! Big Grin

#16 14-08-2018 
(14-08-2018 03:02 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  @Pizzatron-9000 Hahahahaha... I love how you ran away with that "dung"... People don't take c*r*a*p or s*h*i*t that literally, usually. But anyway, I meant eBay... that was also one of the apps. I mean, Darnation, Google, what the hell is your problem?

Google is its own problem. It has transcended into a pretty sinister state of Zen like that. Wink

(14-08-2018 03:02 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Has anyone considered that he may have been right? If every thinking American has been voting in 2016, for example, they must be *either* a minority, *or* not too smart, either.

I think that the reason why we put Donald Trump into the Oval Office was because more of us are waking up and starting to think...or at least our Electoral College is. The Clinton family represents Politics As Usual, with all the greed, corruption, double-dealing, meaningless double-speak and empty promises which come with that. On top of that, the media was trying to shove Hillary Clinton down our throats right and left — as they had been trying to shove their favorite political puppets down our throats ever since Reagan left office — so appointing Trump as our President was also We the People's way of telling the media "You no longer get to dictate what we think, what we say and whom we vote for," under no uncertain terms..."uncertain" to reasonable people, that is. The media's talking heads are still in denial over that.

For myself and every other Armed Forces veteran, the choice was even easier: We still remember Bill Clinton's Presidency and everything he did to savage the Armed Forces, stripping them of their funds and their manpower while simultaneously sending us to fight and die in every meaningless milk run he could think up. Why did he send us to Algeria? Why did he send us to Macedonia? Why did he send us to Liberia, and Sierra Leone, and the Gold Coast? Why did he send us to Bosnia five times, even after the European Union told us, "Hey, don't worry about Milosevic, we can contain him, we're funding the rebels, we got this"?

So if Bill Clinton wasn't actively trying to kill off Armed Forces personnel (because he's still the same pot-smoking, draft-dodging, Moscow-occupying, United-States-hating, Armed-Forces-hating hippie that he was during our unsavory throwdown in Vietnam), then he had nonetheless demonstrated a lethal degree of incompetence during those eight long years. And we all know how marriage works, right? If Hillary had made the Presidency, there wouldn't have been a single major decision that Bill — her husband and a former President — wouldn't have coached her through. So I and the rest of the veterans had already decided that we didn't want Bill Clinton — or any other Clinton — darkening the Oval Office until the stars burned out. And so far, President Trump has handled the Armed Forces with all the dignity and respect that they deserve. Plus, he promptly stood up to North Korea and coaxed Kim Jong Un into chilling out and giving his ICBMs a break, that being after our past two or three Presidents had habitually stuck their heads in the sand whenever North Korea and their despotic Kim family was mentioned. So I'm 200% certain that I chose wisely at the ballot box. Sure, he says mean things on Twitter and hurts people's feelings, but some people deserve to get taken down a peg, and that's what a man does when he's truly a lion who doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

..but anyway, people tend to turn ugly whenever they get to talking about politics for a while. It's a universal "red button" subject. We should probably change that subject sooner or later, shouldn't we? Confused

(14-08-2018 03:02 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Heck, the alternative is just to believethat Mr. Stevenson wasn't all that smart, either. Or he wouldn't have said something like that, true or not!

Well, if Dungeons & Dragons has taught me anything, there's intelligence, there's wisdom and there's charisma. One is knowing neat things to say or do. The other is knowing when to say or do those neat things at the right time, or if those things should be said or done at all. The third is making people pay heed to what you're saying or doing and take it into advisement, however much they may agree or disagree with it personally. It could simply be that Adlai Stevenson was a high-Intelligence, low-Wisdom and mediocre-Charisma kind of character, that's all. Wink
(This post was last modified: 14-08-2018 05:20 PM by Pizzatron-9000.)

#17 15-08-2018 
Hey @Pizzatron-9000,

First subject: let's agree to each have our opinions on that. And those opinion may or may not, entirely or partially overlap.

Second subjest: Whoaaa, way too much political talk for me. I was merely using the 2016 election as an example to prove Stevenson's point. Whether it was wise of him to say it or not.

Third subject: Yeah, some people know what to say and what not to say; some know when to speak and when to shut up; and some people can make you love or hate anything they say, whether it is their intention or not. Telling your audience that not enough of them are thinking, is NOT the way to win the popular vote. Whether it's right or not, whether it's wise or not, and whether it's understood correctly or not, all of that does not matter, because the majority will simply take it as a personal insult!

#18 15-08-2018 
...as Mister Stevenson learned to his detriment, yes. He might have actually taken the Presidency from Eisenhower if he had exercised a bit more tact ("tact" being a word which I once heard defined as "The art of making a point without making an enemy.").

It's too bad, though, because Stevenson was a tireless campaigner. While Eisenhower was sitting on his laurels (being a much-lauded general in World War II and all), Stevenson was out walking, driving and flying from city to city, gladhanding everyone he met and throwing impromptu soapbox speeches around like they were bead necklaces at Mardi Gras. One reporter took a photograph of Stevenson with a hole worn through the sole of one of his shoes, which some signified with his frugality (in not squandering public funds on his Presidential campaign as well as his clothes budget, among other things) and which others signified with his tireless diligence in walking up and down the campaign trail, not even stopping to try on a new pair of shoes. That photo became a memorial statue which still stands (or, rather, sits with its feet propped up on a suitcase, waiting for a flight) in Central Illinous Regional Airport to this day. He could have been a great leader if he had known what to say, how to say it and when to say it...which would not include the blatant insinuation that most of us in the citizenry are idiots. Wink

(* Yes, most of us probably are idiots. But we still don't like it when people bring that up. Tongue )

#19 15-08-2018 
(15-08-2018 01:35 AM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  (* Yes, most of us probably are idiots.)

THAT, right there, goes for virtually all humans...

(15-08-2018 01:35 AM)Pizzatron-9000 Wrote:  (But we still don't like it when people bring that up. Tongue )

And THAT is not unique to Americans, either. We all like to point it out to others, but we don't want to be included when someone else is pointing it out. Hypocrites is the word... Big Grin

#20 15-08-2018 
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." —Agent K, Men in Black

Herd mentality probably does have something to do with that. Wink

Sorry, that is a members only option