Okay, I'm Back and I'm In
#21 15-08-2018 
  • Registered
Hi, Pizza! Thanks for your help! I'm here now. Good to see you, too, BO, and hey Bubblebeam.

Just one thing about the site we are not discussing and then I'll be quiet about it. When Pizza left, I left, too. But, a couple of the sweeter people cajoled me into going back. It can still be a fractious place, but it has gotten a lot better recently. One of the, ahem....loudest....voices has been very, very quiet. I haven't seen a post or upload from that person for awhile. So, maybe the problem has been handled.

Other than that, I'm glad to see some of my buds from aforeunmentioned site and hope to play here for a long time.
'
I do have UC and a windows 10 computer. The computer is new and I love it, but every now and again it vomits up my game and I have to restart it. Nothing to be done about it, I guess.

#22 15-08-2018 
Eh, I wish that the problems with The Sims Site That Shall Not Be Named were limited to one ugly human, but it's several, unfortunately. Some people really do have an inflated sense of their own importance, and it's no better when they come in groups. (Why are so many of these problem children Swedes, anyway? Is there a reason for that?)

But speaking of Windows 10, which OS would you say is the best for running TS2? Maybe something that was the big thing back around 2004 (whenever Mansion & Garden Stuff hit the shelves)? I think it was either Windows XP or Windows 7 back then.

#23 15-08-2018 
In my *personal* opinion, Win7 is the best platform to run TS2 on. Anything older is not entirely up-to-snuff with the latest hardware, and anything newer is too complicated to get older software to run on.

#24 16-08-2018 
I do have my Windows 7 disks lying around somewhere, along with a computer that doesn't really have anything worthwhile installed on it except for Dungeon Keeper 2. Turning that computer into my "All Sims, all the time" computer (and leaving this one for Neverwinter Nights, email checking, internet browsing and pretty much everything else) might be doable.

Maybe my Ultimate Collection copy will run on it too. It could be that my TS2 installation (installed with all the disks from Double Deluxe to Mansion & Garden Stuff) is why the UC installation won't work. It's worth a try.

#25 16-08-2018 
OF COURSE the UC installation won't work if the original disk version is already installed. Registry entries would conflict so badly that both games will fail. I'm sure it's only AFTER you tried to install the UC that more and more stuff in your 'hood started to go wrong...

#26 16-08-2018 
Actually, the UC installation never even started. I ran the executable, which immediately asked me to "Insert Disc 1" (which I don't believe it's supposed to do). I didn't insert any disc and simply cancelled the installation instead. Bear in mind that this was last Sunday, so not really much time for any bad voodoo to happen to TS2 anyway.

I suspect that it's behaving similarly to what happens if you insert the base game's Disc 1 if you already have TS2 installed; isn't that where it asks you if you want to either overwrite the installation or repair it? Not that trying to repair a previously installed program with the original discs ever really works for anything (Dungeon Keeper 2 included, I believe)....

#27 16-08-2018 
Ok, I didn't have all THAT info earlier. No, in that case, trying to install the UC can not have been the cause of the trouble.

Not wanting to install does still make sense, though. You tried to install a program that was already present, according to the registry. So, exactly like you're quessing, the system thinks you want to update/repair the game, and therefor asks for the disks of the version that's already there.

#28 16-08-2018 
  • Registered
When I got UC, the instructions were to not try to play the game with the discs installed. So, I backed up my data and uninstalled the game, then moved the hoods, downloads, and lots over to the UC. BUT, there have been a couple of updates since that time. My advice would be to back everything and then uninstall the discs. Then try again. UC really does run like a charm and it's wonderful not to have to worry about all 300 of the discs all the time.

I think windows 7 was the best OS and sims 2 hummed along nicely on it. But, of course, we had to have horrible windows 10. I was just going to bag windows and get a mac this time, but I have to have windows to play my game.

#29 16-08-2018 
Well, there's the Linux option too. How well would TS2 run under Linux Zorin, you do suppose?

#30 17-08-2018 
On Macs one has The Sims 2 Super Collection, and it runs very nicely without problems, unless you want to have a lot of CC and then you need to modify the OS Settings to change the Maximum Number of Open Files Number. I modified that number and my game runs quite nicely. The only Downside is that one does not have FT, AL or several of the SPs including M&G available. I love my Mac though and will never switch to a PC in order to run the Sims 2.

That said if there is someone that uses the Mac and they need help, I can most likely be of help. So point them toward me. I try to help everyone for that matter. I hang out on several Web Sites devoted to the Sims 2. I like to be on all of them.

Anyways Welcome to Pizzatron-9000, I choose not comment about Politics in the US as I don't come here to discuss Politics.

Sorry, that is a members only option