Pollination Technician on Campus
#11 15-08-2018 
And now you can be proud that you've found the software yourself, instead of getting a direct link handed to you the easy way. You *do*, however, take that opportunity away from others by posting the link... (Yeah, that's how weird I am)

#12 16-08-2018 
I've also spared all the other noobs the lurking horrors of accidentally wandering into the dark, madness-inducing nether reaches of MATY, so I have no regrets. Tongue

#13 19-08-2018 
I don't think I have ever been a noob, not the way one would describe me I think. Also I dont think MATY is that bad....IF you read all the FAQs and read what others have asked and do a search before asking questions that the Denizens would characterize as ***Stupid at least lol. At least I can say that I am not scared to post something there, and I have posted there before lol. I have spent more than a few hours just reading old posts on MATY as well doing the exact same thing on a lot of other web sites. Lots of information can be gained by reading old posts on a site and that is what I always do.

The "Bat Box" and The Sim Blender are my two favourite object Mods, both of them are very useful.

You might also want to run the Hood Checker on your Neighborhood and I do hope that you have back ups that you could go back to if need be. I make lots of regular backups, me I would just revert to a previous backup and go from there.

Let everyone know what happens next if you would, I have never before heard of a PT visiting a Sim before.

#14 19-08-2018 
(19-08-2018 09:51 AM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  I dont think MATY is that bad....IF you read all the FAQs and read what others have asked and do a search before asking questions that the Denizens would characterize as ***Stupid

Sure, people should always familiarise themselves with the FAQs. But that only gets you so far, when it pertains to any mods published by Pescado himself. Because, although he is a magnificent coder, his FAQs are hardly even legible, and NEVER mention exactly what the mod does, how it is used, what options there are, and what some of the strange phrases that he uses in his menus, should mean. So then you need some help.

Problem is, not everyone is proficient at *search*. I'm not stupid, and I have roughly 40 years of (mostly online) experience in English reading/writing. But in my daily goings-on, I still use the Dutch language. Generally, even Google often doesn't understand what I'm asking (probably, because I simply don't know the right words -- or synonyms of same -- to include in the search), let alone that a sims site's *local* search will be any help. So chances of randomly stumbling upon the right answers to my questions will be very slim indeed.

So, in search of answers to some of my questions, I *have* read a lot at MATY. And most of it turned out to be "Denizens" insulting "newbs", calling them stupid morons, telling them to use search, and generally not being helpful at all, and after doing so, using the thread to prattle on about whatever the hell they wanted, except the subject! I'm sure that at MATY, like everywhere else, there are also a few good, helpful guys among what you call "the Denizens". But they are a very slim minority.

So, even though most of the time I didn't find the answers I was looking for, I've never felt tempted to register there for the purpose of posting a question. Some of the people there may know of me by name, but I've never met any of them, and I seriously doubt if any of them have anything positive (or accurate) to say about me.

#15 19-08-2018 
Well English is my native language and I still have trouble trying to search on MATY, I can search to some degree, but it is still hard. Me I don't think I have ever actually asked anyone for help at MATY. I just read every post of every thread pertaining to the Sims 2.

Oh yeah "Denizens" is my way of referring to the group of regulars that would hang out there, they certainly were a Clique and not nice or particularly helpful. Most of the Dnizens on MATY are not hepful from what I can tell.

I did manage to find something by one of the regualars who had created a MATY Director’s Cut MODs List in .doc format then I went through and removed the Mods for FT and AL and added the few that I have that were not included. So I have a fairly good documentation on what I have in my MATY archive.

Several web sites on the sims 2 have some kind of search, but rarely does it work well in my experience.

I did the same here, I went through and read everything I could read. I do the same pretty much at every site I go to if I go there more than once.

I am pretty sure that I registered on MATY for the same reason I did here, because I thought it was a good idea and I like to be able to post something if I want to, I am pretty sure that I am registered at any site that has registration and the registration works or is allowed.

I do not blame you for not feeling like you wanted to register at MATY. I have had some contact with only one person who might be considered a regular at MATY and I think they are cool.

As for you BoilingOil you have a fine reputation as far as I know and several of your MODs are on the Must Have List. I do admire Pescado for being smart and so on as I have expained, but I choose other people's mods over his if there is a choice in Mods. heh

#16 20-08-2018 
I've always been an avid reader. I love reading BOOKS, in DUTCH, for RECREATION!

But reading forums on my computer screen is something entirely different:
  • First: it's NOT a book.
  • Second, it's NOT in Dutch.
  • Third, it's not for recreation, but purely information that I seek.
  • Fourth, most people online have very poor writing habits; txt-spk, 1337-spk, bad spelling, bad grammar, bad language, rudeness, arrogance... I've named but a few, say stop if you recognize any ONE of them...

So reading online isn't really my thing. And the bigger the wall of text, the more trouble I have focusing on it.

Also, I am a slow reader... I cannot go read all the threads on any sims2 subject at ANY website... Neither here, nor on Simbology, nor ANYWHERE. If I did that, I'd have no time to play! And I have my computer, mainly for PLAYING.

(19-08-2018 05:05 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  As for you BoilingOil you have a fine reputation as far as I know and several of your MODs are on the Must Have List. I do admire Pescado for being smart and so on as I have expained, but I choose other people's mods over his if there is a choice in Mods. heh

Ah, yeah... Mark's list... We've had our scrapes, Mark and I. His Must-Have list is one of the things I have an issue with. Nobody can tell another what they MUST HAVE. Not even Mark, and not even if they advise any of the mods that *I* created. But to each their own. And actually, I agree with most of the mods that he's included. Although some of my own mods on that list are very questionable as Must-Haves.

As for my 'reputation'... I know that on several sites, my appearance has made an impression of sorts. Not always a good one, but that doesn't matter. My MODS, though, are indeed mostly well-recieved. Even after 7 years, still not a day goes by that nobody comes to Leefish to download some of my work. So I must have done *some* things right.

And I like your style on Pescado and his mods. I agree 100%. Some of his work is almost essential. But whatever is NOT essential, is NOT in my Downloads, either. And that includes mods for which alternatives by other people are available. Also, whenever there is a conflict with ANY other mod, the other mod loads last! In fact, his mods are in a sub-folder named "000 - !-JMPescado-!", the VERY FIRST folder to be loaded. B)

#17 20-08-2018 
Oh you made me laugh, for real even.

I am not sure who you mean by "Mark", mark93? yeah no one ever has exactly the same essential list I think, however I think mark93 helps people who are new to Sims 2 with his list. However some of your mods are on several people's list of what they consider essential to have, so that does mean something I think. Me I don't really pay attention to other people's lists of what they think is important to have. I go and read about what each mod does and I make my own mind up. Sometimes I do go back and make changes too.

I mostly likely have some Pescado mods that you don't have, but I do read the documentation that I can find on his mods and I am quite choosy as to what I will include. Like you I have his load first in a subfolder in my case it is named "-MATY"

#18 20-08-2018 
(20-08-2018 12:37 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  I am not sure who you mean by "Mark", mark93? yeah no one ever has exactly the same essential list I think, however I think mark93 helps people who are new to Sims 2 with his list.

The same one! Yeah, it may be helpful to beginning simmers to some extent. I will not deny that. But it's still a list of mostly personal choice, the way I see it.

(20-08-2018 12:37 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  However some of your mods are on several people's list of what they consider essential to have, so that does mean something I think.

There are other lists? And more of those include my work? Some people must have heard of me, I suppose. Their poor sims have no chance! They are doomed, and they don't see it coming.

(20-08-2018 12:37 PM)lordtyger9 Wrote:  Me I don't really pay attention to other people's lists of what they think is important to have. I go and read about what each mod does and I make my own mind up. Sometimes I do go back and make changes too.

I mostly likely have some Pescado mods that you don't have, but I do read the documentation that I can find on his mods and I am quite choosy as to what I will include. Like you I have his load first in a subfolder in my case it is named "-MATY"

Again, we have similar policies... I *do* read what I can find. And in that regard, having pretended to be a 'modder' (of sorts), helps. Because when I can't find proper documentation, I just open the package and peek inside. What looks fishy to me (everything from Flying Fish Systems is, of course, fishy by default...), is not going into the Downloads folder.

#19 28-08-2018 
Updatey Stuff:

So apparently something went really boogery with the Abstractivism NOW! dorm (the Arts & Crafts hobby dorm where Benne was staying and where the Pollination Tech was hanging out), to where the lot would go into eternal loading time. I'd click the lot, there's a picture of Benne, the twelve dashes across the top of the Simmy bingo board would light up, then the lit-up dashes would go unlit again (like they do when you're about to enter the lot), and then...nothing happened. I took a two-and-a-half hour nap after the lit-up dashes went away, I woke up and the lot was still "loading". Obviously something was wrong, so I was forced to Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of TS2, run Mootilda's Hoodchecker (which I'm still not 100% sure actually does anything to repair Simmy file corruption) on Pleasantview and restart the game. Then I went back to the Sim State University neighborhood and, though worrying that I may have been doing something wrong, I moved Benne out of the Abstractivism NOW lot. And then I moved her into the Fruityboo Farms dorm (my Nature + Cuisine hobby dorm) across the street. To my relief, the dorm lot loaded. Benne herself was okay, safe and apparently corruption-free.

[Image: TS2-PollenTech05.jpg]

She stuck around the farm/dormitory long enough to finish her Freshman year and to work her natural Science enthusiasm up a point, back to a perfect 10.

[Image: TS2-PollenTech06.jpg]

After that was done, I wanted to get Benne's stuff (which included a pricey Star Trek bridge chair and an even pricier robot crafting station, because she went to college with $6,500 worth of scholarships — including the alien abduction one, of course — and raising your Sims from infancy rocks) back from the Abstractivism NOW! dorm. But I was also worried that the dorm would still be haunted by the dreaded Pollen Tech, and if he blocked my lot-loading again, then I'd never have the chance to deploy the Batbox and smite him. So against my better judgement, I moved Benne back to the Arts & Crafts dorm and, to my tremendous relief, the Pollen Tech was nowhere to be seen anymore!

[Image: TS2-PollenTech07.jpg]

But seeing as Benne was a natural Science enthusiast and had no place in a dorm which caters to Arts & Crafts hobbyists — and seeing as Aspirational Laboratories (my Science hobby dorm) was already full of the eight students from my Far East family — I loaded all of her purchased goodies into her inventory, then moved her off to the non-hobby-themed Castle Von Carstein dorm, where her very good phone friend Sanguine Succubosa was already in residence.

[Image: TS2-PollenTech08.jpg]

(...yes, those light-up dash things across the top of the screen.)

As I kinda-sorta expected (but didn't quite expect), Sanguine and her Romance Aspiration rolled up a bunch of Benne-related Wants the moment Benne arrived at the dorm. "Flirt with Benne." "Fall in Love with Benne." "WooHoo in Bed." Benne, being a Knowledge-aspiring, Science-loving Sim, isn't a particularly affectionate Sim. But who am I to deny destiny? So Sanguine and Benne are more than BFFs now.

And now, apparently free from the curse of what may or may not have been her Space Daddy (without me ever having a chance to Batbox him to oblivion), Benne's back to building robots. For science! Big Grin

[Image: TS2-PollenTech09.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2018 03:00 AM by Pizzatron-9000.)

#20 28-08-2018 
Ahh glad that your Sim is OK. I really hate when something is wrong with one of the lots and it won't load, but at least the game loaded. It is worse when the game won't load for some reason.

I love playing on my iMac and i am not going to change, but it does have its bad parts and the main one is that there is a Maximum Number of Open Files and it is set by the System. Most of the time it is not a problem, however if one is playing The Sims 2 and installs too much CC one will run into that limit. One of the consequences of this is that the game does not load or worse things like Sims go missing. Took me a long time to trouble shoot this problem and the Mac Publisher of the game was of no help. I did find that a few others had posted something about the issue though and I finally resolved it by implementing a change in the Maximum Number of Open Files, I increased it twice as I ran into the problem again not long ago.

I like your screen shots and I dearly love Alien Sims. I have a large number of them courtesy of CAS and a custom Neighborhood called Sedona.

I am now using BO's Multi PT Mod and it is working great for me as far as I can tell, just had Jason Greenman Abducted! lol it was sooo funny to watch.

Sorry, that is a members only option